Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 294  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Brother
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:37 am 

Marion Arnott wrote:
des2 wrote:
Well, another big beast is liable to go on Friday: Lydia; Dislikeable yet interesting. A future politician on the centre right.

Caroline listed out the city venues for her Romantic 'Grand Tour' of Europe when she eventually meets the man who wants to care and service her. A highlight of the season so far. Luke A suggested St Petersburg would be better than Moscow in her list. I agree.

Ulaanbaatar would be better still. Drinking wild mare's fermented milk would suit her.

Or a wife in the old Raj.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 pm 

Ulaanbaatar would be better still. Drinking wild mare's fermented milk would suit her.

Or a wife in the old Raj

Not far enough away - unless you intend the Black Hole of Calcutte era. I could live with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:37 pm 

Greater Love Hath No Man Than This That A Man Lay Down His Foundation For His Friends...

And so Arron is a great man. The shopping task for two days requires sacrifice from HMs. The first sacrifice had to be personal possessions. Up leapt Arron and donated some clothes and his Foundation Cream. Good Grief! Is there no end to his selflessness? Well, there is, of course. Why didn't he donate his stag and snowflake onesie?
he also got to scarifice the smokers' cigarettes and lighters. BB demanded that these be handed over and Arron had to make the decision to sacrifice them or return them (as if there wasn't snough conflict in the house already). Naturally, being a non-smoker, and being Arron, he chose to sacrifice and stood there cutting up the cigarettes with a giant pair of scissors. Now, I don't care for Arron, but truly he is dicing with death here. Adam summed it up - the cigarettes were only worth 20 points in the game, not enough to justify the horrors to come once withdrawal symptoms start. Lauren is already cracking up, just at the thought of being without her smokes; Lydia is in shock.

There were several odd litle conversations this evening. The first was when Deana reassured Arron that he had done the right thing with the cigarettes. Why offer the enemy comfort? Hevaens, he was positively gracious to her in return - not a trace of friendly banter anywhere.
Caroline told of her adventures travelling in her gap year. She went on a spiritual journey to Thailand and had the pleasure of 30 travelling companions to torment. With strange relish she told how they came to loathe her and indulged in chants telling her so. even to the point of violence. I can quite believe that.

Lauren's sacrifice involved going into the Room of Temptation. Inside was a beauty salon and her sister. She had to choose whether to join her sister or to ignore her. At stake were five points towards the goal of 100 points. This was too cruel. The girl stood at the door, tears welling up, knuckles in her mouth to stop crying out and then she turned and left the room. Luke A faced a similar choice of taking or ignoring a telephone call from his wife. He too was distressed. I really really didn't like these two taks: they were too personal and genuinely painful, although perhaps not as tragic as the loss to Arron of his Foundation.

Lydia and Deana were allowed to take some revenge on HMS who they believed had nominated them. Deana correctly idetified Luke S, Conor, and Arron who were all promptly gunged with rotten fish mixture. They took it well, I'll admit. Oddly, Lydia chose Becky, Scott and Sara to gunge. She was correct in identifying Scott and Becky, but Sara turned out to be innocent. Lydia explained that she was only trying to establish whether or not Sara had told the truth about not nominating her. Lamely, she told Sara that she now respected her for not being a sheep following te others. Sara did not nominate her this week - next week, should Lydia suvive, may well be a different story. Sara is, after all, a proven independent thinker.

Ashleigh and Becky, on the other hand, can't think at all. In conversation they revealed that they did not know who Hitler was, or what a Nazi is. And what's more, they're proud of it and don't want to know. This was not the only strange converation Ashleigh had tonight. She and Luke S were rehashing the tepid leftovers of their passionate affair - did she want it to be over, Luke said indifferently No, she said, managing to summon up a tiny flame of enthusiasm ( after all she said to Conor last night!), before going on to explain that she can't cook. Romeo and Juliet ahve nothing on this pair.

Arron and Sara seem to be hitting it off. They sat giggling at one another across the bedroom. It makes a change to see someone laughing in that house.
hashing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:33 am 

Marion Arnott wrote:
hashing

A new technical term for applying internet social media methods to real life situations, situations like Reality TV, even Reality itself!

Lydia was hashing hard last night in the diary room in a ploy to stay in the house. See the sparkle in her eye, see the metaphorical moustache of mischief being preened and then tagged?

Caroline - no doubt my favourite housemate from day one (even before she said anything) - who nevertheless goes up and down in my estimation day by day - is today's H. Rider Haggard 'She' or Mrs Bennett in the making (even Lady Catherine de Burgh) or an EM Forster heroine who yearns interechangeably for a room with a view and a passage to India. Travel by sedan chair or rickshaw (who's he) if not by motorised hash tag.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 am 

des2 wrote:
Marion Arnott wrote:
hashing

or an [b]EM Forster heroine who yearns interechangeably for a room with a view and a passage to India.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love that, Des!
but alas, I fear Caroline is too Elizabeth Violet Bott for either grandeur or the confusions of love.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:27 am 

Oh, The Irony!

HMs had to stumble groggy from thei beds this morning on pain of losing 5 points from their points total. All were duly groggy and stumby - with the exceptions of Ashleigh, Caroline, and Sara. I waited all agog for an oath filled tirade from Conor, Arron & Co, full of gender specific insults and abuse and much repetition of 'Taking One For The Team' and all that, but I waited in vain. In fact Team Nasty displayed nothing but an affectionate tolerance. How different it would have been if Lauren, Deana, and Lydia had slept on!

In fact, the butt of abuse was Lauren, who dared to complain about the lie-a-beds - after all, she sacrificed a chat with her sister for 5 points...But Caroline was having none of it. How awful of Lauren to say such things, how weird (although she did say that Lauren is the nicest girl ever before abusing her some more); she soon had ghastly Conor nodding agreement and swinging into oaths and insults and accusations of paranoia. They need to grow up, Caroline opined. (Irony! Irony!)Shievonne joined the litany and complained to BB about the complainers. Oh, really, how unaware of themselves is it possible for people to be?

Caroline was heavily featured tonight. She consoled Deana over her possible eviction by telling her she really, really likes her and really really doesn't want her to go because who would she laugh at then? It's no wonder that HMs look slightly glazed after conversation with Caroline.

Caroline's sacrifice task was to eat a jar of sweets while being spun on a wheel. Violet Elizabeth Bot emerged instantly from under Caroline's thatch of hair. She stood clutching her jar of goodies wailing that she didn't want to be spun. Once underway, she punctuated the task with howls and wails and protests and a blitzkrieg of insults on poor Adam, the spinner.She really really doesn't know how to take one for the team with style, does she? Shievonne reckoned that she couldn't have made more fuss if she'd been a vicitim of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Caroline continued to rant about Adam for some time. She says he has no sanitation, and smells, and is a gorilla...
Oops! BB's nerve was struck and Caroline was summoned to the Diary Room and given a formal warning about what she had said. For a moment I thought BB was referring to her remark about his having no sanitation (her grammar is execrable) but no, he hinted tentatively about racism and then threatened her with removal from the house. Is she racist? I really don't know - there's no art to find the mind's construction in a word - but I find it odd that she can be threatened with removal for a single word while Conor can contemplate beating a woman and raping her with a hairbrush and only be gently chided.

Caroline felt obliged to go and apologise to Adam (he must have been somewhat bewildered as I don't believe he heard the gorilla remark). The apology was classic Caroline - she had been horrid to him, and irritable, she said, because she was feeling fat and because she thought she was being bullied but really she was the bully (that's the second time she's said that - was there a schoolteacher somewhere in the background telling her that?) and she was really really sorry. Adam offered kindly comfort (she was in TEARS by this time) and a hug which she stepped smartly back from. Somehow that step backwards was more offensive than anything she had said. Business over, she shot off to the sink to wash her mascara off her chin - and stod grinning and smirking at her reflection in the mirror.
Don't triumph too soon, Caroline - while you were smirking, Adam was telling Scott that he took everything you said with a grain of salt.

Other HMs had their moments - Luke S actually had several moments. His task was to be tempted by a viewing of who had nominated him - it took his an hour and a half to resist the temptation. he was also shown sewing seams - I have no idea what that was all about.

Arron was in show off mode - bragging to Sara about his modelling (the excitement of the lights etc) and his cage fighting (the excitement of the lights etc). He flapped his arms about and actually flexed his biceps at Sara - she was very impressed.

Luke A's moment was a prize piece of drama. He flunked the water slide task and fell to gloomy recollections of all his failures in life. Looks like he's going for the pity -me route. Silly, really - his frank open kindly pesentastion is more likely to be succesful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:33 am 

PS _ I forgot to mention that Ashleigh claims not to know that chickens come from eggs. It's bad enough to pretend to be stupid; but far worse to think that the we are stupid enough to believe her!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:59 am 

Marion Arnott wrote:
Oops! BB's nerve was struck and Caroline was summoned to the Diary Room and given a formal warning about what she had said. For a moment I thought BB was referring to her remark about his having no sanitation (her grammar is execrable) but no, he hinted tentatively about racism and then threatened her with removal from the house. Is she racist? I really don't know - there's no art to find the mind's construction in a word - but I find it odd that she can be threatened with removal for a single word while Conor can contemplate beating a woman and raping her with a hairbrush and only be gently chided.

Indeed, Marion.
And love Caroline or hate her, she certainly has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi about her. A talking point so much more credible than Benedict.
Lauren to go tonight, I say.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:10 am 

des2 wrote:
Marion Arnott wrote:

Indeed, Marion.
And love Caroline or hate her, she certainly has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi about her. A talking point so much more credible than Benedict.
Lauren to go tonight, I say.

Ahem - it's Deana and Lydia up for eviction tonight! I cannot decide which should go as I rather favour them both. Deana has charm and wit, but has been muffled by the weight of the dislike shot her way by the Baddies; Lydia is less likeable, but clever and quick and gutsy. I just dont know.

I agree that Caroline is an interesting HM, a vivid little nastiness, a Mary, Mary Quite Contrary. You can see the divisions in her, the constant tensions between what she has been taught (about manners, conduct, graciousness) and what she actually is. Being pulled up for something reduces her to a state of immediate humble and exaggerated apology and yet she is already planning her next nastiness, indulging in her next smirk. Yes, there's mileage in Caroline.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:55 am 

Sorry, I meant Deana when I said Lauren.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:16 pm 

Farewell Forever

So Lydia is out. She left to a chorus of entirely unwarranted jeers and boos; Deana remains in the house, also to a chorus of loathing from the hideous mob. I think it's time they stopped the live audience - they jeer at everyone now. Even the winner was booed last year. There were times during Lydia's interview that I could hardly hear what was being said because of the noise from the mob outside. However, like it or not, she has departed the house. I salute her cleverness, her dress sense, and her iron nerve - she never flinched throughout that ugly exit.

Random observations:

How could Brian look Deana's mother in the eye and ask her how she thought Deana was getting on in the house after the Conor episode? He made me cringe.

Conor spent a quarter of the food budget on protein shakes and games. He also bought some cigarettes for the smokers - and procured an extra packet for Lauren because she had previously shared hers with the others who had run out, and because it was her ciggies which were cut up during the task. Ashleigh took exception to this (she gabbled and hissed, I kid you not) and tried to bully her into giving the extra pack up, ably supported by Shievonne of the Kali arm movements. W Ashleigh was venomous and threatening in her approach - a very unpleasant young woman. And someone should tell her how deeply unatractive she is when she's venomous. A tearful Lauren complained that Ashleigh finds a new reason to hate her every day, which is true. Have we ever had so many bullies in the house at one time before? Lauren actually seems afraid of Ashleigh - she certainly feared a party in the house tonight and the effect alcohol would have on Ashleigh's behaviour.

Becky got on the floor and pretended to be a hysterical elephant. I shall resist making the obvious cutting remarks. But she is another who needs to consider her attractiveness when she's being nasty. Her contorted face in the DR when she sneered at Lydia was less appealing than her elephant act.

I did smile when Conor and Arron got their feet burned when stealing the bath Ashleigh had run for herself.

One amusing scene was when Scott, Lydia and Adam were mocking Caroline's behaviour. They pressed knuckles to foreheads and mimed her confused look; and Lydia gasped at the imaginary knife in the back. Oh, I shall miss Lydia. She leads that group and keeps their spirits up.

So. The game is all over bar th shouting, isn't it. Luke S's group outnumber the outsider group by a wide margin. Next week, either Deana, Scott, Adam or Lauren goes...and the others will soon follow.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:37 am 

Marion Arnott wrote:
So. The game is all over bar th shouting, isn't it. Luke S's group outnumber the outsider group by a wide margin. Next week, either Deana, Scott, Adam or Lauren goes...and the others will soon follow.

I think you and I should go in there as wild cards: Marion of Diamonds and Des of Spades.
Lydia was supposed to have a famous boy friend but when she got out, I didn't recognise him. Who is he? Who is he?
I agree with what you say about Ashleigh's behaviour. Being an Essex boy through and through, I assure you she is not typical. But Essex is getting infamous... When I was young, it was simply another county.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:17 am 

You deal with Conor. I'd be too scared.
I'll take Caroline - I am fascinated by the schoolteacher who lives in the back of her mind, telling her how she should behave and reducing her to abject apology. I could do that for her all day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 pm 

The Don't Care Day

In brief:

Deana doesn't care what her bullies say any more.
Scott doesn't care about the football table game.
Conor doesn't care what Drill Sergeant Adam says.
Becky doesn't care about her weight.

The two main stories of tonight were the rebellions of Becky and Scott.

Becky sat at the kitchen table shovelling food into her mouth, down her front, and on to the table. She wanted a tin of creamed rice as well and old Deana she doesn't care if it has 400 calories - she might die tomorrow and, I suppose , regret not eating it. I love Deana's dryness - she thinks it's good that Becky is so comfortable with her weight. But the irony passed over Becky's head. True to form, she was happy singing a song to her chicken nuggets, encouraging them to cook faster. So she could eat them sooner. She also did her party trick of wobbling her thighs until the flesh on them came together to make a loud slapping noise. I've never seen anyone do that before. I am stunned into silence.

Scott had a rebellious moment too. He and Deana were pulled up for discussing nominations and the house lost the table football game Conor bought with the food budget. Conor's inner demon roared into life again. He strode up and down the kitched, cursing and challenged Scott to show remorse. Scott merely drawled that it was only a table and he didn't care about it. Conor stamped about and scowled his best scowl to no avail. Arron united with him in self righteous rage and had another go at Scott. He got the same answer. This was the most amusing scene of the evening - Arron is accustomed to his stormy tirades having an effect on people - alas for Arron, not on Scott. Not even a demand to know how Scott would feel if his Foundation was taken away had any effect. When that didn't work, Arron gradually subsided into bewildered scolding until told to stop going on about it by a bored Scott; he was left to contemplate his can of beer and twiddle with his hair.
What a damp squib he is when defied. The same cannot be said for Conor. He also contemplated his can of beer, spinning it round and round on the table, the rage in him mounting, until finally he could contain himself no more, leapt at Scott and got him by the throat and head. Playfully, you understand. Except it wasn't. His eyes were mad and his teeth bared. He is clearly not stable. Or safe. BB should have taken the opportunity to get rid of this thug last week. Hats off to Scott - he never flinched although Deana looked frightened and she was right to be. Scott did say he came from a rough background - he's an awful lot tougher than he likes to appear.

Becky quizzed Luke A about the process of changing sex. He was very frank - overly frank - eyewateringly frank. I don't think I'll go into detail except to say that he hasn't actually had the op yet because it's very expensive. But he has a wife?

Becky pokes her nose into other people's business all the time. Sara and Arron were discussing their relationship (such as it is). Sara was very direct, asking him if he only wanted a relationship so that he could have sex in he house. Becky chimed in with the notion that he might only be after Sara because she was all that he could get in the house (ouch - nasty!). Arron was outraged. There'd be no snogging or shennanigans on national TV, he said. There could be a date when they got outside. Girls throw themselves at him all the time, he said. But actually, he looked terrified. I'm wondering about Arron - perhaps there is another reason for no shenannigans: the twirling with his hair; the awful fate of losing Foundation which he thought would trouble Scott (it would cetainly trouble Arron); the constant bragging about girls, girls, girls...the puerile brag that he's a bad boy and that Sara should trust him when he says he's not good to know. Oh, dear.

Sara, it transpired, was upset by what Becky said and confided in Ashleigh and Shievonne. There was a perfect chorus of loathing for becky. Shievonne even had a very indirect go at Becky, hands flying like a tic tac man's, talking about people who were actreeses and people who liked to wind others up. She was mystifying, but Becky, being smarter than she likes to appear, got the message all right.
She now says she doesn't care what they all think.

Nominatiosn are being shaped as we view: Scott and Becky, or possibly Shievonne.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 am 

Thanks for another excellent report, Marion.
Scott is actually quite shrewd, amid his posh accentuation of vowels and consonants, describing the 'presence' or lack of it with the then potential of Lydia or Deana going. He is pontifical, strangely with his hair (that Marion once described as his brain bursting through the top of his skull) now shaped into a kippah-like eruption of orange-knitted lava. Also his kamikaze belittling of the Conor-'purchased' table (almost its phenomenological conception as the essence of Table) was like watching the Martyrdom of St Sebastian...stuck all over with toy-footballers on spinning stakes.

Becky's internal thigh slapping - after Deana describing her as possessiing the Wonder of being comfortable in her own skin - was something that martyred us viewers...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 294  Next