Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:12 pm 

This is copied from my blog post:

After four-and-a-half years, I am resigning as an Interzone co-editor.

I do not take this decision lightly, but it is what I feel I must do.

The reason is simple: like a rock band where one musician quits because she/he doesn't like the musical direction the band is taking (the well-known 'musical differences'), I am unhappy with the direction and tone the fiction in Interzone will be taking.

Make no mistake, I think that, fiction-wise, Interzone has had a very good year so far. And there are still some very good stories forthcoming (Jason Stoddard's "Monetized", Alaya Dawn Johnson's "Far and Deep", Hannu Rajaniemi's "His Master's Voice", Gord Sellar's "The Country of the Young" and Paul Evanby's "I Love the Smell of the Lotus in the Morning" immediately come to mind).

However, most of the stories the magazine has accepted this year will appear next year. And -- as mentioned above -- the tone and direction of most of those are moving farther and farther away from what I would prefer to publish. So it's time for me to say my thanks and take my leave.

I'd like to thank Andy Cox for having me all this time. I'd like to thank all IZ editors past and present. I'd like to thank everyone who has volunteered for the magazine, or helped out in any way: they've been great years, and would not have been possible without you.

I wish Interzone, and all other TTAPress publications nothing but success and the best of luck in the future. This may sound a bit strange after my statement that I'm unhappy with the direction IZ is taking, but I really do mean it.

May Interzone live long and prosper. It'll just not be my Interzone anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:59 pm 

Noooo! Don't go! It's not too late to change your mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:39 am 

I'm sorry to see you go, Jetse. I've already left a longer comment on your blog.

Umm, that said, I have an incredibly stupid question.

Ah, what direction is Interzone going in?

No, stop. Don't tell me. You know, at the end of the day, I probably, really, do not want to know. I probably won't like it either.

But, for the record, I'm not going to get angry about it.

So I'll pull a page from Orwell and enjoy a little bliss. The changes will manifest soon enough.

The upside is that at least Jetse will be spending more time on the fiction writing front. That can only be a good thing.

Good luck, Jetse. And best wishes.

Respects,
Steven Francis Murphy
Kansas City, Missouri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:12 am 

It isn't fun to feel you're playing in the wrong band. I know. Best to get out while you're still ahead.

That said, it's sad to see you go. You've done amazing work, Jetse. (I just read your Egan interview in 216, and... yes.)

Of course, everyone knows your best is still to come. Best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:48 am 

We’re genuinely sorry to have lost Jetse de Vries from the Interzone editorial group. He’s always demonstrated enormous levels of commitment in working with us to choose exciting, imaginative and well-crafted SF and Fantasy stories. We will miss his discernment and passion for interesting and polished writing, and we fully agree with the positive and sincere feedback from readers and writers who share our disappointment at his departure.

We are, however, a little perplexed at the idea that Jetse’s departure has been caused by a change in Interzone’s “direction and tone”. No such change was identified or discussed at any time within the team. The three remaining editors do not feel there has been any shift in our editorial process, quality standards, ethics or strategy.

We are also puzzled by the suggestion that the nature of our material will change next year: Jetse has played a full and significant part in selecting the stories our readers will be enjoying for many months to come. It will be quite a while before anyone gets to read a post-Jetse story in Interzone. In fact, we have yet to select a story without his input.

We would like to reassure readers and authors that there is no change in editorial ethos or policy – explicit or implicit, actual or pending – at Interzone.

Andy Cox, David Mathew and Andy Hedgecock (fiction editorial group, Interzone).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:19 pm 

Oh, wow. Mercurio just clued me in about your resignation and I'm shocked. Jetse, I'm sure you're doing as you see best for you, and I wish you good luck. Still, while I'll continue having faith that the IZ team will put out an excellent product, it's a shame knowing that you won't be a part of it.

Jetse, you'll always have my utmost respect and appreciation for pulling my story out of the IZ slush, for working with and challenging me on the rewrites, and finally, for helping me land my first publication in such an excellent venue like IZ. As far as I'm concerned, after myself "Feelings of the Flesh" belongs to no one more than it does you (and then Andy C. :D )

My very best to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:39 pm 

You will be missed, Jetse. You pulled The Last Reef (IZ 202) from the slush pile and helped me polish it and I will always be grateful for your guidance.

See you at Eastercon LX?

Until then, take care and good luck with your next project, whatever that is.

GLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:19 pm 

Jetse,

Thanks for all the help and insight you've provided, and the very best of luck to you.

Colin

Novels:
Winter Song -- US launch May 2010
Damage Time -- UK launch May 2010
-- US launch June 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:09 pm 

Jetse,

So very sorry to hear you're resigning. You'll be much missed.

I'll always be very thankful to you for picking "Deer Flight" out of the slush pile--without you, I wouldn't be where I am today with Interzone (not to mention you and Roy making my first Eastercon such a treat).

Good luck for whatever you have in mind for the future, and I hope I'll see you at future cons (World Fantasy?),

Best,

Aliette de Bodard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 am 

Sad to see you go Jetse, and your contribution will be missed.

Thanks for all of your hard work over the years and here's wishing you all the best with whatever you turn your hand to next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:46 pm 

Sad to see ya go, mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 pm 

I owe my IZ sale (my first sale!) to you, Jetse. Your comments and critiques were always on point. I wish you the best of luck and hope this means you'll have more time for writing.