Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Future of Crimewave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 pm 

I really must replace all the Crimewave posts I lost making an error during the set-up of this forum...

Meanwhile, there's something on my mind that people might want to discuss, help me reach a decision. It isn't a new thing, it's cropped up once or twice before. It's to do with Crimewave format and content...

Currently it's more a book than a magazine, in that it contains only stories, carries an ISBN as well as an ISSN and each issue has its own subtitle -- and it looks an anthology.

I can expand on the ideas behind this if anyone asks. The theories were sound, probably still are, but I've got to thinking -- again -- that it might be better now for Crimewave to revert wholly to magazine status. To include a wider range of material (eg non-fiction), increase its frequency and size so we end up with a suite of matching magazines that cover the entire waterfront, to which we're able to offer all sorts of subscriber and advertiser incentives and discounts.

You're thinking Look, just get Black Static sorted first. I hear you. I will. But meanwhile, no harm talking about these things...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 am 

31 views, no comments...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 am 

Well, seeing as you ask so nicely ;) I only have a subscription to Crimewave as a present to my sister who enjoys this stuff a lot more than I do. I've only read one or two stories out of the recent edition, but I thoroughly enjoy being presented with an anthology-like collection of stories.

But, I agree that from a business/corporate image point of view, it would make sense to shift to a bimonthly magazine that echoes the styles of Interzone and the future Black Static. So, go for it, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:07 pm 

I like Crimewave as an anthology, and would probably prefer it that way. Non-fiction and reviews etc are all very good if you're able to stick to a schedule, but I imagine that kind of material dates very quickly if you're unable to keep it regular. Either way I'd still buy it, of course ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:15 pm 

>>Non-fiction and reviews etc are all very good if you're able to stick to a schedule, but I imagine that kind of material dates very quickly if you're unable to keep it regular.

Well that comment could apply equally to the non-fiction content in Interzone and the forthcoming Black Static, so I don't see that it's a valid argument against.

I'm assuming that this is a long term plan rather than something that's going to happen right now, so maybe the way to go is test the water via the website, with some non-fiction content such as reviews posted under the Crimewave umbrella, as I'm currently doing with my Black Static backlog. That way, if Crimewave stays as an anthology no harm is done and if at some future date you decide to go the magazine route, then you'll already have some reviewers you can rely on in place.

In general terms I think there's more overlap between the Horror and Crime genres than with SF, and so Black Static readers are also your target audience for a Crimewave magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:22 pm 

I'D MUCH PREFER TO SEE IT AS A MAGAZINE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm 

Please don't switch to a magazine with non-fiction, articles and ads. I love the current format. It's an oasis from bombardment, and allows me to forget that everyone sees me as a consumer instead of a reader.

Additionally, the physical format is fabulous too, it's an item to treasure, something special (not that I don't treasure my IZ and BS), something that won't fall apart easily, something that sits proudly on my shelves.

If it was a magazine and boxed away how would I as a sci-fi and horror fan be able to scoff at crime fans when they peruse my shelves. "...What you're a fan of crime fiction and you haven't read Crimewave dear oh dear oh dear..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 pm 

If I could sell ads we would have them but no one is buying so you are safe for now.

By the way folks there were, still, 3 copies of Crimewave 7 on the Crime Fiction shelves of Waterstones, Deansgate, Manchester on 5 April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:23 pm 

it seems like there are no crime fiction magazines in the market (in the uk) and with the size and scope of the genre im very very surprised!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:11 pm 

There used to be loads of 'em. Is there just the one left now?
If I was any good we'd have a dealer stand at the Harrogate Crime Writer Festivaland more people would know about CW.

Threakstones sounds like a good sponsor for CW. We need a title though Crimewave 11; Old Peculier isn't quite right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:27 pm 

Roy wrote:
Threakstones sounds like a good sponsor for CW. We need a title though Crimewave 11; Old Peculier isn't quite right.

Oh I don't know... :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:03 am 

Roy wrote:
There used to be loads of 'em. Is there just the one left now?

Appears so. seen quite a few people on forums asking about crime mags and the only one that's ever suggested is Crimewave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:15 pm 

For what it's worth, I really like the format as it is, but like many others I'd still buy it if it changed. There's something quite special about the way it's presented at the moment and, really, if I'm honest, I'd love Black Static and Interzone to look the same. However, I can appreciate all the benefits of a magazine layout and understand why this might be an attractive idea for TTA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:48 pm 

I'd like to publish the fiction from all three magazines in the CW format, plus one separate 'magazine' format section for all the non-fiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:17 pm 

That would be a great idea.