Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: INTERZONE 247
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:31 pm 

I don't know that it's the kind of piece that needs academic references, but when he says that "a period dominated with thematic experimentation and radical gender politics was gradually re-invented as a corrupt and self-involved 'me decade'", I think that can be seen to some extent in Rudy Rucker's essay "What is Cyberpunk?", where he says things like "a lot of basically conventional people slid through the '70s thinking of themselves as avant-garde, when in fact they were brain-dead". "The only good music in the '70s was Zappa, and even he was getting old."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm 

Not Iain Banks, he only had one story in IZ and that was after his first Culture novel was published.
However it is harder, as I said, to write that kind of SF when you read in New Scientist about say; pigs being bred for organ transplants using human stem cells to 'humanicize' their kidneys, or hearts, or whatever, to ensure said organs aren't rejected. (Will anyone eat the rest of the pig one wonders. ) Stories like that move on too quickly, by the time its published the first recipient will be headlining in the Mail.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:56 pm 

The fact that Gardner Dozois prefers science fiction to fantasy should come as no surprise to anyone. LOL. That alone is no reason for Interzone to publish it. Paying markets for fantasy are few and far between in the UK, and I personally have no problem at all with Interzone publishing it if that's where the quality is in the submissions.

But to suggest that there is no "core SF" in Interzone is absurd. Just glancing through the contents list of the last half dozen issues demonstrates that well enough. And to suggest that none of the current crop of writers (many of whom Dozois actively praises) will ever achieve the stature of Reynolds et al is equally absurd.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:02 pm 

Like Roy I'm sorry to read that Alan feels he must part company with Interzone. I can’t speak for Andy C, but this is my take on the issues raised by Alan. We say ‘New Science Fiction and Fantasy’ on the cover of every issue and that’s what we’re trying to offer our readers. Some issues might include a bit more SF, some a soupçon more fantasy and some have an unusually high number of stories that perform an acrobatic gyration along the perimeter fence between the genres. I’d count Nina Allan as one of the deftest exponents of that gyration. Yes her stories are memorable – in my book she’s one of the best short story writers in English and our job (Andy C with the assistance of me, Andy H) is to find other writers who can astonish, engage, entertain, provoke and unsettle our readers.

We’d be more bonkers than we already are if we tried to balance every issue for SF and fantasy: my key criteria are originality, technically accomplished storytelling and emotional engagement (I suspect Andy’s are similar but that’s a matter for him). It’s all about quality and editorial response: there’s a stochastic element to whether an issue ends up with a balance of SF/Fantasy or otherwise.

I agree that cutting edge is a fuzzy concept, but don’t agree that it’s necessarily defined by a focus on technology. It can focus on shifting psychologies too - not always technologically mediated and not always best dealt with ‘realistically’. Sometimes the symbols of fantasy are more apposite than those of SF and vice versa? Yes, IZ was the ‘natural home’ of some of those writers mentioned by Gardner Dozois, but maybe, in 20 years we’ll say it was the natural home of Georgina Bruce, Priya Sharma, Lavie Tidhar, Aliette de Bodard, Chris Butler, L.S. Johnson … and Nina Allan? But our attitude is that we find great writing where we find it … fantasy, core SF, wherever.

Like Stephen Theaker I think Jonathan’s McCalmont’s pieces are a fascinating departure. I don’t agree with every sentence, but every sentence is interesting. Jonathan is thrashing out his own riff – he doesn't need to respond to Gardner Dozois’ assertion and, in fact, doesn't need to include any references. It’s not a piece of scholarship, rather (IMHO) a smart, well informed and provocative polemic.

Hope that doesn't sound defensive – just trying to offer an insight into what (I believe) IZ is all about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:23 am 

Andy,

Thanks for your explanation of your aims for Interzone. However I am afraid I still feel that it is not for me any more in terms of fiction content. The column is also a big negative factor.

I wish Interzone well for the future!

Alan Poulter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:54 pm 

Chuck Rothman review for Tangent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:31 pm 

My first issue since deciding to subscribe again and what a great mix of stories. Standouts for me were "The Pursuit of the Whole Is Called Love" by L.S. Johnson and "The Frog King’s Daughter" by Russ Colson with V.H. Leslie's "The Cloud Cartographer" just edging them as my favourite of the issue; a wonderful concept with an ending that I found both heartbreaking and optimistic in equal measure and is still in my thoughts several days after reading it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 pm 

Sam Tomaino review in SFRevu.