Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:35 am 

Just landed along with Interzone and Eyepennies! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 pm 

Finished reading this issue now. Steve Rasnic Tem's 'Bedtime Story' was definitely my favourite this issue. Classic creepiness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:11 am 

I think the idea of only covering the best/most interesting DVDs in Blood Spectrum is a good idea. To be honest the sheer mass of obviously trashy films which I was never going to watch in my life had got so high that I had started to skim-read this section recently. There's only so much crap one can wade through before wondering what the point is.

I must admit however that I am still slightly unsure at how the actual review titles are divided between the magazines. Wouldn't fantasy superhero movies like The Amazing Spider-Man, or a science fiction film like Dredd, be better suited for review in Interzone? They just feel somewhat out of place to me in a publication that otherwise presents itself as a 'horror' magazine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am 

Lawrence Conquest wrote:
Wouldn't fantasy superhero movies like The Amazing Spider-Man, or a science fiction film like Dredd, be better suited for review in Interzone? They just feel somewhat out of place to me in a publication that otherwise presents itself as a 'horror' magazine.

Ah, so my attempt to review them as 'monster movies' has failed!
:shock:

One reason, though, was that Nick Lowe had already covered them in IZ.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm 

Hey Ross. Thanks very much, sir.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 pm 

Issue 32 has just landed in Canada. Woo-hoo!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 pm 

The land of Oz has now been graced with the arrival of BS32 as of yesterday - I have already read the excellent interview with Steve Rasnic Tem and the always-awesome musings of Volk and Fowler, so next it's on to the fiction...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:41 pm 

Cheers, Baph! Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:41 pm 

Black Static 32 turned up in yesterday's post here in Western Canada, and as usual I poured a beer, stepped out into the garage, lit a cigarette, and went straight to Volk's Coffinmaker's Blues column. I found it to be one of the most thoughtful and thought provoking pieces I've read in a good while. Yes, with reference to the erosion of everything we hold dear in modern culture, the replacement of empathy and thoughtfulness with cool and glossy in film and writing, the quoted Charlie Kaufman's 'We're led to believe winning will change all that. But there is no winning', etc...depressed the shit out of me, truth be told, but only because I was struck by the fundamental truth of it all. It's not often a brief article hits me quite so strongly, but this piece hit home and will be rolling around in my head for days to come. It's material like this that makes me treasure Black Static. Well done.

Now it's on to the reviews and eventually the fiction.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 am 

More of an appreciation than a review, but it's always nice to be appreciated:

http://horrorworld.org/hw/2013/02/black-static-32/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 pm 

Starburst (6/10) are still reviewing DVDs.

Midnight Son
Starburst: 6/10
Me: 10/10

Tower Block
Starburst: 8/10
Me: 0/10

Just in case you still haven't realised that I have exquisite taste.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm 

Now had the chance to read BS#32. As usual, the non-fiction cannot be faulted. Here's what I thought of the stories:

"The Withering" - loved the period feel of this piece and the fact that the resolution isn't the happy one that the style intimated it might be. A strong opening.

"Love As Deep As Bones" - Thought this was a superbly written story, with genuine characters and resonant feelings. Probably my favourite this issue.

"The Death Drive Of Rita, Nee Carina" - I normally enjoy Ray's stories, but this one felt too contrived and overwritten. I didn't buy into the scenario, which made it a bit of a struggle (sorry Ray!)

"The Anatomist's Mnemonic" - Loved the set up to this story, although the ending seemed too inevitable. Although I think it was speed of the resolution rather than the inevitability that shifted me out of the strong build-up to fully appreciate it.

"Black Sun" - Drew Rhys White - Another very strong story. Another contender for favourite, actually. Such strong characterisation and very believeable scenario. I loved this one also.

"What We Talk About When We Talk About Z......" - Well written, but I wanted more flesh on these particular bones.

"Bedtime Story" - Another contender for best story. I actually thought this was fantastic. The final line is sheer storytelling genius.

Overall a very strong issue. And I loved the cover artwork. Picked it up so many times just to hold it and gaze!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 pm 

The spoof Raymond Carver made me laugh out loud. I hate -ombies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:24 pm 

Thanks, Andrew. Glad you enjoyed the story. It was a terrific issue to be a part of.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 am 

Competition Results

Congratulations to the winners (quite a lot of entries and it's good to see some new names), bad luck to the non-winners and better luck next time!

Berberian Sound Studio DVD
Conrad Williams
Anthony Cowin
Lorna Sheehan

Solaris Books (Deadfall Hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem, The Faceless by Simon Bestwick, Silent Voices by Gary McMahon, Magic anthology)
Peter Kanisius
Colin Hopkins
Gordon Smith
Daniel Tovey-Hayes
Simon Taylor

I'll forward the DVDs as soon as they arrive (I have sent a reminder!) and Solaris will mail the books direct. Please let me know if and when stuff arrives.