Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: BLACK STATIC 30
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:51 pm 

I loved SOMETIMES I GET A GOOD FEELING by the wonderful Carole Johnstone but I have a polite, small question for the author and editor. maybe I'm being picky (or just palin wrong) but this was an American-set story and you use "boot" of the car instead of "trunk"; also I think you use the word "poncey" which is a very British word, to these ears anyway. I;m just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 pm 

sorry for the bad typos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:59 am 

It's a good question Steve. I'm pretty sure that "poncey" is used in the USA (I'd be happy to defer) though I suppose the more accurate US spelling would be "poncy", but then words like "neighbour" and colour" would also be slightly different. The idea was to give the flavour without actually trying to write in another language, which'd just be fake.

Having said that, at another time, and with more time, we might well have done it differently...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 am 

The story was very convincing apart from that. I'd be interested if any American readers pick up on those things. I know for me there's nothing worse than an American trying to write a story set in England and getting it wrong - talking about the mountains of Norfolk, for instance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:37 am 

OK, looking at it again swiftly: "bloody" isn't American but "gasoline" is, "hardware store" is American, and the dialogue therein, "trousers" is Brit, "an extra twenty bucks" is definitely American, "critter" is American, "gormless" is British, someone waving an American flag, "ghastly" seems British to me but "trailer" seems American (we say caravan), "crawl space" is very American, "summat" is very British. If this was all deliberate, fair enough. I didn't mean to get this pedantic: it just threw me and I wondered why. I say again I love Carole's writing and I liked the story very much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 pm 

Yeah, I must admit it was harder than I thought it would be; was excessively pleased with myself when I remembered that it was store and not shop - perhaps I shouldn't have.been! Maybe should have collared an American for proofreading! That said,it didn't really start out as US based story; crawl spaces just didn't seem very British, so I guess it morphed into something strange somewhere inbetween. Glad you still liked it, Stephen. If it's ever reprinted I'll certainly look at revising the words you mentioned. Would niggle for me too in someone else's writing :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:27 pm 

Now I feel a complete shit. Sorry, Carole! (If I were you I'd save yourself the trouble and just say he's a Brit living in the USA!) By the way, you can now read any of a few stories I've written set in America and do the same thing!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:30 pm 

Ha, you're not at all a shit! I love any and all feedback (the bad - not that yours was bad; this is turning into a minefield! - is usually far more helpful than the good), and I think those who don't are tubes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:48 pm 

I just want to know what all this loose talk is about mountains in Norfolk.

Have none of you heard of the world famous Beeston Regis Hill, or the banded cliffs of Hunstanton, and other similar venues which make the Himalayas seem like mere foothills?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:07 pm 

And of course the deserts of Merthyr Tydfil and the wonderful coastline of Dudley. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 am 

It strikes me that 'The Banded Cliffs of Hunstanton' would make a great title for a story. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:17 am 

I've only just started on the fiction in this issue (and I'm not reading them in order), but I just read The Orphan and the Bad, Bad Monkey and thought it was wonderful.