Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTERZONE 242
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:28 am 

You're teasing me, Roy! But no, all copies have been collected and returned to the printer. They'll either be reprinted or printed by a different printer next week.

I'm still awaiting the arrival of Black Static 30.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:39 pm 

I spoke to Roy about BS30 earlier, and we're still hopeful that copies of both new issues will be available at Fantasycon, but if there are any Black Static subscribers here I'm afraid we have printing problems with that too. I just posted an update to the "Black Static 30" forum...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm 

Damned!!! It seems that the September month is a real cursed one for you!!!! :shock:
Has the Proud Albion been infected by the infernal scents from France...

About the printer, maybe you could see what PCP (the 2000 AD's printer) can make as offers if you reaaaaaaaally need to change it. I know, it's like a treason, but business is business and such errors from the printer cost you a lot.

And your toe, still alive??? :mrgreen:

As always, the covers of Interzone are excellent... They are best than the Asimov, Analog and F&SF US magazines.
And this new one is again into the best of the bests!!

(I will look when I must renew my subs to IZ and BS...)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm 

A frustrating morning waiting for people to get back to me. But here's where we are now:

I did finally hear from the printer of IZ242, though no progress was made. They'd been checking through the copies picked up from here, found way too many (in my opinion) of the *very badly* affected copies. They are still waiting for the distributor copies to arrive. So we were facing further delays and the return of copies that had been flicked through twice and which were far from perfect to begin with, some of which had already been bagged for delivery and then unbagged, as well as boxed and unboxed a few times. So I told them to forget it, and have sent the print files to a different printer, the one who now does Black Static. The earliest they can deliver the finished job is next Tuesday, which isn't bad all things considered. But obviously it'll be another couple of weeks before copies begin to arrive with subscribers or in shops. Sorry about that.

Even though we're still waiting for the arrival of Black Static 30, retail copies and overseas copies of that can be forwarded a bit sooner, but the UK subscriber copies will have to wait for IZ242. Sorry about that too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm 

Andy wrote:
Tony wrote:
Isn't that a bit *odd* for a printing job with a spine?

It does seem a bit odd but it's the way this particular system works -- the advantage is that I'm in effect putting the pages through the rip myself, and can check/approve the soft proofs at the same time.

I wish all printers would adopt this system. Nothing more frustrating than waiting to check a set of soft proofs when speed is of the essence!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:28 am 

I've received the official letter from the original printer, hilariously describing the main problem as a "slight doubling" (it's actually major doubling that occurs on several pages) and the job overall as well within industry standards. They will therefore be seeking payment in full, excluding -- I think -- those few copies that suffer from "slight doubling".

I kept back a couple of copies. I tried to take a photo the other day but it didn't really work. I'll try again, post it here, just for a laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:42 pm 

And have since received the official threatening letter. "Before we commence litigation..." giving me seven days to respond with some sort of proposed compromise (I think that's what it says, I don't really understand the lingo). Yet they haven't even invoiced me yet, and presumably I'd have the usual 30 days to pay that... And I don't even have the copies. Go figure. I've given the same response again, detailing all the difficulties, restating my position, etc. Little bit stressed behind the bravado, admittedly. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 pm 

They're arses, no doubt about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 am 

Wow that's beyond annoying, Andy!

Surely they would lose if they took you to court? If they haven't done the job, surely you are not obliged to pay? I guess it depends on the contract, if you have one. But I would think any job has to be done to correct standards before they have a right to demand payment...

I bet they dry up and blow away if you just hang tight.

Do you have a lawyer?

I prefer to keep colour instead of turning these into links (which have such dull colour!) so just copy and paste addresses to visit my art etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 am 

What some [CENSORED] printer!!!! They have no honor??? Where is the so known British honor????

Fortunately, you have the printer of BS. And I think that it will be very good in the future to come: the two magazines printed by the same printer, so, if there are some "evolutions" to be made into the two magazines, it will be more easy for you: one printer only.

I do not care if I will receive my copies with some delays (France). I prefer this than nothing at all!!!

Your toe is OK now??? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:08 pm 

Judge MANSON wrote:
Your toe is OK now??? :mrgreen:

A bit bruised, Judge, but OK. Thanks for asking! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm 

The reprint (with a different printer) of Interzone 242 is apparently still on course for a Tuesday 25th delivery. We will then get your copies in the post as quickly as possible.

The adjusted delivery date of Black Static 30 was today. Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet, and at the time of writing (4pm) delivery is beginning to look very unlikely.

This is all extremely frustrating. Once again, apologies for the delay.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm 

Black Static 30 definitely not being delivered today. Or tomorrow. "Sorry our binder broke down yesterday and engineers were called in." That's the binder that I was told broke down in June, and since when binding has been outsourced, eg for Black Static 29, which took the promised 5 days. Interzone 242 turnaround promised within 6 or 7 working days. I can't begin to fathom it all. Naturally I'm concerned about IZ242 now, again. I should have read the signs and postponed both issues till November.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:06 pm 

And Monday's a public holiday for many firms.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:33 am 

I've just been told that IZ242 will NOT be delivered on Tuesday 25th but will be delivered on Wednesday 26th instead. Something to do with a broken binder?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next