Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: BLACK STATIC 30
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:49 am 

Contents of the new issue, along with some images and extracts, are now on the Black Static > Current Issue page. The cover art is The Ornithologist by Ben Baldwin (of which there is more on the back!).

All being well it'll mail out next week/weekend, at the same time as Interzone 242. We hope you enjoy it and look forward to reading your comments.

NB: Please check for a subscription reminder in issue 29 and renew before this issue mails out. It'll cost three times as much to post otherwise. Thanks!

Attachments:
BS30cover.jpg
BS30cover.jpg [ 254.75 KiB | Viewed 6986 times ]

Post subject: Re: BLACK STATIC 30
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:49 pm 

Looks terrific, Andy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 am 

Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:36 pm 

Can't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:34 pm 

I'll say again that I love that so much more of the cover is devoted to the artwork with the new format... this looks amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:05 pm 

I'm glad you all like it. And that is an amazing piece of art isn't it? As I've said elsewhere, I think Ben's had another very good year and must be way overdue some award recognition.

Meanwhile, in other news... Still awaiting the arrival of Black Static 30. If it'd been delivered today that's still reasonably good going and nothing to complain about, even though last time the printer was quicker. But I've just been told that there is a delay, owing to the fact that they don't have a working binder since the flood and are having to outsource this work. I'm promised delivery next week but I'm expecting a further update as obviously I'd prefer it to be early in the week rather than late in the week.

(Between me and you, that flood was in June.)

Quite an exasperating few days...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:52 pm 

In any case, we can send them the Old Stoney Face Judge Dredd to "accelerate" the binding process!!!

Or, I may do him a visit with some of the Brit-Cit Wally Squad's members. Classic inspection with complete corporal inspection too... :mrgreen:

The cover of this new issue is very excellent!! I can't wait to have the copy in my hands!!!!

Normally, I should receive it without any delay: my 2000 AD has arrived in time, so...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:12 pm 

A frustrating morning waiting for people to get back to me. But here's where we are now:

I did finally hear from the printer of IZ242, though no progress was made. They'd been checking through the copies picked up from here, found way too many (in my opinion) of the *very badly* affected copies. They are still waiting for the distributor copies to arrive. So we were facing further delays and the return of copies that had been flicked through twice and which were far from perfect to begin with, some of which had already been bagged for delivery and then unbagged, as well as boxed and unboxed a few times. So I told them to forget it, and have sent the print files to a different printer, the one who now does Black Static. The earliest they can deliver the finished job is next Tuesday, which isn't bad all things considered. But obviously it'll be another couple of weeks before copies begin to arrive with subscribers or in shops. Sorry about that.

Even though we're still waiting for the arrival of Black Static 30, retail copies and overseas copies of that can be forwarded a bit sooner, but the UK subscriber copies will have to wait for IZ242. Sorry about that too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:08 pm 

The reprint (with a different printer) of Interzone 242 is apparently still on course for a Tuesday 25th delivery. We will then get your copies in the post as quickly as possible.

The adjusted delivery date of Black Static 30 was today. Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet, and at the time of writing (4pm) delivery is beginning to look very unlikely.

This is all extremely frustrating. Once again, apologies for the delay.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm 

Black Static 30 definitely not being delivered today. Or tomorrow. "Sorry our binder broke down yesterday and engineers were called in." That's the binder that I was told broke down in June, and since when binding has been outsourced, eg for Black Static 29, which took the promised 5 days. Interzone 242 turnaround promised within 6 or 7 working days. I can't begin to fathom it all. Naturally I'm concerned about IZ242 now, again. I should have read the signs and postponed both issues till November.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:06 am 

That sounds like a nightmare, Andy. Hope you get it sorted with minimal hair-pulling-out.

All of the story intros have me particularly excited. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:52 am 

It all sounds really stressful - hope it works out soon Andy. Sounds like the original printers don't have a leg to stand on. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am 

Quote:
Andy wrote:-
binding has been outsourced

I had a nightmare thought - they don't outsource to the guys who just made a muck up with Interzone, do they?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:43 am 

That wouldn't surprise me, Pete!

I swear that the BS30 cover is thicker than the last time. Too thick. Let me know what you think...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 pm 

Is it heavier then? Postage still OK?