Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:53 pm 
Thanks guys. Wish I had submitted it now :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 am 

Highlander, that was a goodun. I played with the facebook idea myself but didn't think to take it so literally (it's one of those things that seems so obvious now that someone's done it and I wish I'd thought of it myself). A suitably unnerving read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm 

Just been looking at the statistics for this, as they appear in Black Static #17.

Gender break down of 69% men, 31% women for submissions, but those figures completely reversed for acceptances, with 65% women and 35% men, suggesting that women got their heads round the Campaign's requirements better than men.

It would be interesting to know if 31% is a high number of submissions from women for a horror magazine, whether they felt more engaged with the type of fiction being solicited. I can't address that, but going from the books I receive for review, only something like 20% are by women. There's a thread somewhere on these boards where we discussed the reluctance of women to put their work forward, and it occurs to me that while male small press authors regularly ask me if I'd like to be sent review copies, I can only recall one female author who does so.

Breaking it down by country, the UK did poorly with 64% of submissions and only 50% of acceptances, suggesting those who had the most common cultural references with the judges were least able to step outside of that box. The US did pretty much what you'd expect statistically, 17% of submissions and 15% of acceptances. Both Australia and Canada punched three times above their weight (in parenthesis, my impression is that anthologies from both those countries are far closer to a 50/50 gender divide than those from the US and, especially, the UK).

The Rest of the World scored 10% submissions/acceptances, which while statistically what you'd expect, I found slightly disappointing in that I'd hoped there would be more work from a non-Anglo background on show.

Looking at the stories, none of the usual suspects are evident. The only writers whose names I recognise are Gemma Files, Kaaron Warren and Catherine MacLeod, so I think it's fair to say the Campaign has uncovered, or at least introduced to Black Static readers, a wealth of new talent. Hopefully more people will be encouraged to submit by this exercise and we'll be seeing a lot more new work.

It's also I believe, the first issue of Black Static where more of the fiction has been from women than men, with the four longer stories falling out 2/2, and the 10 Campaign pieces 7 to 3 in favour of the ladies.

Impressions, anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:02 pm 

'There's a thread somewhere on these boards where we discussed the reluctance of women to put their work forward, and it occurs to me that while male small press authors regularly ask me if I'd like to be sent review copies, I can only recall one female author who does so.'

Mmmm.... I wonder if I know her?

I haven't submitted to the campagn or BLACK STATIC but after talking to other female authors, especially as I'm editing the new anthology, I do realise that in general we lack the confidence that men seem to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:40 pm 

Some very interesting results there- I have always written stories in the horror genre, but it's only in recent years I've noticed that female horror writers are reasonably rare. Or at least, we don't see so much of them.

Funnily enough I only submitted to the Campaign because a (male) friend urged me to do so (I definitely owe him a drink, in that case) so perhaps we do need a confidence boost. I know I still find submitting my work to be agonizing...

I can say though that getting the story into Black Static has certainly encouraged me to keep on trying. :D Hopefully we'll see lots more work from all the winners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:12 pm 

I've just finished discussing all twenty of the Campaign for Real Fear's winning stories over on my personal blog. I know it's been a while, but I'm old and I move slow.

If anyone is still following this thread and interested, you can find links to discussions of the individual stories here:-

http://trumpetville.wordpress.com/black ... ory-index/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6