Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09 am 

SF Revu review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:54 am 

Here's my take on BS#17.

I enjoyed most of the stories in the Campaign For Real Fear. I think such short fiction inevitably tends to lead to punchlines becoming one-hit wonders, but in most of these there was more depth and purpose which was admirable. Rather than commenting individually, I'll just list my favourites as "The Rude Little Girl", "Nice One, Truly", "This Is Mung" and "The Flinchfield Dance".

"Zombie Cabana Boy" - Really enjoyed this story which trod a fine line between horror and comedy (am I the only one who found it comic?), which managed to sound believeable despite the subject matter. A great opening to the longer fiction.

"Three-Legged Bird" - another interesting story, although my interest began to wane considerably until the killer final paragraph which - for some reason - I really hadn't been expecting.

"The Lady In The Tigris" - I've always enjoyed Kaysen's stories, and it's great to see another one from him. Having said that, I think I prefer his shorter, punchier pieces. There was a little too much going on in this one for me to buy into it fully, yet it was a great ride along the way.

"Faces In Walls" - Oh dear. Looking at other reviews I seem to be on my own with this one, but I thought this kind of bulk-standard, throw-everything-including-the-kitchen-sink kind of 'horror' was the sort of thing Black Static is published to avoid. Sure, there were some interesting ideas, but ultimately this is either a totally unbelieveable farce (do we really need another story where someone's head is sawn off?) or alternatively - of course - it was all a delusion whereby none of it really matters anyway. I thought it was dreadful, pedestrian, and tiresome. Sorry :)

Finally, I must admit I prefer the stories to be interspersed by the columns as I read it front to back rather than dipping in and the variety comes through that way. However, to end on a positive note, I'm now sold by the colour :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:37 pm 

Regarding 'Faces in Walls', I'm just suprised no-one's mentioned 'Kill Bill' yet! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:49 pm 

I though Faces in Walls was terrific.

I haven't read anything by John Shirley for a long time. I think the last one was Wetbones

Does anyone know of any recent novels of his that are good?

However I think the indepth section for one author has had its day, there were six pages for John Connolly and I wasn't particularly inspired to read any of the Parker sequence nor the juvenalia.

Could there be more reviews of stand alone novels?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 pm 

Is there going to be a draw for the DVD's? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:02 am 

I forgot again, sorry. Please keep checking the forum around the closing dates and don't hesitate to remind me if it looks like I might've forgotten. Meanwhile, will catch up pronto!

Hopefully the Sokoloff books have arrived by now. I'm still chasing up outstanding DVDs, which obviously is very frustrating for all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm 

Yes
the Sokoloff books have arrived and they're very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 am 

By the way, Paul, when have you received Sokoloff books?
I still haven't, but I'm in Croatia, so probably delay of a week or more is expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:05 pm 

Nick Cato's review at The Horror Fiction Review, in August 2010's Odds & Ends along with comments on #16:-

http://www.freewebs.com/hfrzine/oddsends.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:35 pm 

Inexplicably, Nick Cato thinks "Editor Stephen Volk" talks about how he chooses stories! Blimey - has there been a palace coup and nobody's told me? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:15 pm 

Yeah, but he liked the stories, so you did a good job :lol:

My suspicion would be he somehow got your name mixed in with the CAMRF introduction, with the stories as the examples he mentions :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:21 pm 

Yes, I did a wonderful job didn't I? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:44 pm 

galaxie500 wrote:
By the way, Paul, when have you received Sokoloff books?
I still haven't, but I'm in Croatia, so probably delay of a week or more is expected.

They arrived on the 29.07.10 which is a bit less than a week ago. And they are worth looking forward to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 pm 

Ali_L wrote:
Quote:
I was disarmed and disappointed to read the word "spaz"

I must be inured to the term because its usage went unnoticed by me. However, if it's the right word for the story - if it's a word that a particular character would use in a given context - then I don't think writers should self-censor.

Lambchop used the term in its verbal form in the song 'Fear' from their 'Damaged' album:

"And often is the case when you have set yourself specific goals you spaz out in mid-sentence and your mind is gripped in fear'.

Post subject: TTA 17
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:40 pm 

Enjoyed most of the first batch of "Campaign for real fear' shorts, with Gemma Files disturbing 'Copy Degradation' being the best of them, and Alan Morgan's, Janos Honkonen's, and Mary Elizabeth Burroughs' tales also being very good.

It was great to see a new story by John Shirley, as wild and visceral and unnerving as his best work; Daniel Kaysen's 'The Lady in the Tigris,' was another strong story from this very talented writer. He captured perfectly the obsessive, fragmented mindset of his alienated protagonist, and I was fascinated by the glimpses he provides of The Game. Such was the conviction conveyed in these brief glimpses, that one can easily understand Anthony's father getting into it. The Suzanne Palmer and Vylar Kaftan stories were also very strong - the ending of the latter was beautifully understated and the story lingered long afterwards in my mind - making this one of the strongests Black Statics yet.

One final point - have to agree with Paul Woodward about the length of the section devoted to John Connolly. I like Connolly's work but it seemed a little over the top. Do we really need a synopsis of every book in the Charlie Parker ouevre? A review of the latest and the author interview would have sufficed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next