Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm 

Just received mine today.

The full colour artwork is beginning to show through now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:00 am 

Not received mine yet - hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow! Or I'll have another look through the post that arrived while I was away for a couple of weeks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:32 pm 

I've only read the first two so far but I'm very impressed with both. I loved Palmer's 'Silence & Roses' so looked forward to 'Zombie Cabana Boy' and wasn't dissappointed. It is so very very wrong - but great fun. There are some lines I'd love to quote but won't for the sake of spoilers. Kaftan's 'Three Legged Bird' I found very touching, a great contrast to the humour of Palmer's, and I will look for more of her work as well. Ok, now on to Kaysen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:24 pm 

A very strong issue :) My personal favourite was John Shirley's "Faces in Walls".

Twitterific!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 am 

Arrived in Vienna Thursday or Friday, looks great as always :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:02 am 

Most interested to peruse THE CAMPAIGN FOR REAL FEAR. Should be pointed out, though, that like radio phone-ins this result does not represent the community of horror writers as a whole, but only those who chose to enter this competition. Also, for all the "notable trends" mentioned by CF and MMcH, one should remember the limit of 500 words - this alone, as part of the brief, narrows the range of possibilities and subject matter.

NICE ONE, TRULY was excellent, (though completely went over my head on first reading - my fault). THIS IS MUNG was also outstandingly chilling. THE PRICE was one I failed to understand, and ON THE BEATEN PATH ran out of steam in an irritating way. THE FLINCHFIELD DANCE was immaculate, superb and memorable. SANCTUARY nicely done, but not earth shattering.

On another note, I was disarmed and disappointed to read the word "spaz" in the pages of this edition of BS (and not even in a story - see p11). I know we all have different levels of offence - especially in Horror as a genre - but does it mean we can now look forward to "mong" or even "coon" cropping up idly in future issues? I sincerely hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:49 am 

Interesting what you say about 'spaz'. I teach a unit called Language Change at my college and we cover a lot of words that have ameliorated over time or weakened. It all depends on context I suppose, much like the word 'gay'. The OED defines it as "To lose physical or emotional control, usually as the result of an intense emotional experience; to act in a bizarre or uncharacteristic way" whilst noting it is "often" seen as offensive, but not always. That said, I don't have the magazine to hand so don't remember the context in which it was used.

We have some great class discussions about the n word...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:47 pm 

Interesting that "gay" can be used as empowering, but also as an insult (sadly, used by radio DJs and school children - similar IQs, I guess), depending on context. I am maybe sorely out of date on this matter, as you suggest. I also don't particularly like the over-use of "mental" and "mentalist" these days. Surely we're grown out of using terms of physical and mental disability as terms of abuse, or, worse, casual amusement?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:20 pm 

Stephen Volk wrote:
THE PRICE was one I failed to understand,

Resisting... urge... to explain :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:21 pm 

Please do! It was just the last paragraph. I am probably being stupid. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:29 pm 

Stephen Volk wrote:
Please do! It was just the last paragraph. I am probably being stupid. :)

Not at all! It's a weird little story that I was vaguely convinced no one would get anyway, so I was hugely surprised when it was chosen.

Essentially, it's about witchcraft on a council estate- a spell is cast to keep undesirables away, which is why the mugger in the final paragraph suddenly decides to go elsewhere.

Ooo, that was embarrassing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:41 pm 

It all makes sense now. The idea of sacrifice, the child. Oh how dumb I was not to get it. It was all there. I apologise. I don't think there was anything wrong with your story - my head just wasn't in gear. Now I do feel really stupid. I should have shut up. I should just have said, well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:00 pm 

Quote:
I was disarmed and disappointed to read the word "spaz"

I must admit it made me cringe too. It may be thrown around without any thought for its origin as short for 'spastic', but I still think of it in the context of someone having cerebral palsy.

It's all too easy to throw words around like this without thinking about their real meaning. I cringe when I see 'retard' being used as an insult, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:44 pm 

Hi Ali... Oh good, then it's not just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:45 pm 

re: "Spaz", at least here in my part of the US, the word connotes flakiness more than anything else, and isn't a loaded word the way "retard" or some of the other examples given are.

That said, any offense is my fault; I was tardy in getting bio information back to Andy, and he took that bit off my (sadly very crappy) website rather than be forced to just make stuff up. Not aware until now that it was a problematic term for some people, I've removed it from my website, and I apologize to all and sundry.

-Suzanne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next