Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:23 pm 

Does anybody have any views on Blogging? I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons, and, to be frank, I see more cons...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:34 pm 

I think blogs are great for rants & raves, or general venting @ the world, with random comments, incoherent rambling, and photos, etc. It doesn't have to be deeply personal or impressively professional, just something else to do online. And the hosting is (usually?) free! 8)
Give it a try, Mathew, what have you got to lose?
Mine's at http://pigasuspress.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:53 am 

It really depends on what you want to achieve, mathew. If you're after fame and fortune, you may as well forget it! But as far as the sf/genre community is concerned, it's a great way of adding your voice to the scene and taking part in some of the debates and discussions - as well as meeting interesting new people.

I think your best bet is to give it a go. As Tony says, it won't cost you anything (although I'd personally recommend Wordpress.com over Blogger, because I found the Blogger API infuriatingly buggy), and you'll know within a few weeks whether it's your sort of thing or not.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:26 pm 

I've had one since April 2003 and got a fair amount of flak from some of the established writers in the field for it (after all, I just made my first sale this year).

That said, here is what a blog has done for me.

1. Provided a sort of online post it note and floating home page.

2. A place to brainstorm with regular readers of the blog.

3. Network with folks sympathetic to my cause (I met John Birmingham virtually via my blog and that landed some work)

4. Provided a daily writing workout. It is my scribbling gym of sorts.

I've not always had shining moments at my blog (or on other internet fora, to be fair). I've had my rants, my raves, my navel gazing, my outright explosions of bad temperment.

But I've also had some pretty good discussions there, more so recently.

I think it all depends on your personality and it is worth remembering that a Blog is very much a double edged sword. I've cut myself with mine a number of times when I wrote someone in the heat of the moment or more often, in a thoughtless moment.

Best rule of thumb is, if you wouldn't want to read it as a National Headline, then you probably ought to keep it off the blog.

Finally, with my blog, I don't involve my friends and family unless they give me a nod of some sort. This often leads to the perception of what one detractor once called "The Steven Francis Murphy Show."

Well, it is my blog. Of course it is about me. I chose to be on the net in this fashion, not the people around me. They have a right to their privacy and I try to maintain that for them.

My two cents.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Escaping to Texas (briefly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:47 am 

SFMurphy wrote:
I think it all depends on your personality and it is worth remembering that a Blog is very much a double edged sword. I've cut myself with mine a number of times when I wrote someone in the heat of the moment or more often, in a thoughtless moment.

Word. Some things are only ever learned the hard way! But I think those lessons have actually been quite useful when transferred to my non-internet life - "engage brain before putting mouth/keyboard into gear." ;)

Quote:
This often leads to the perception of what one detractor once called "The Steven Francis Murphy Show."

I wonder why people like this read blogs at all. A sub-breed of trolls, in a way. Best ignored. They don't want to read about you, they can always unsubscribe. *shrugs*

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:45 pm 

Paul, God knows I don't get to every blog I have linked at my place everyday. Some of them don't update everyday. But with regard to mine, I honestly can't imagine someone reading it everyday. It isn't that interesting. Most entries are, "Got this much writing done today," and "Got clobbered in fencing against a woman fifteen years younger than me," and better yet, the ever so often rant about the day job.

I think maybe one in a hundred entries is actually worth paying more than five seconds of attention to. Least at my place. Your mileage may vary elsewhere.

As to trolls and cranks, having been labeled as one myself, well, I don't know why folks grouse about aspiring writers with blogs.

But I also understand why some people do not have blogs.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Just Fled his Old Day Job (boy, what a feeling) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:22 pm 

Personal opinion aside (I don't blog, I sometimes read others, the medium remains slightly alien to me despite my weekly site update "diary" which carefully has no real opinions) - I would say be careful what you write. Not that anything is bad per se, but a woman who used to work at the school I'm an admin assistant at took leave for a bad back for several months. And wrote on her blog about using her sick leave to go white water rafting, etc, every day she took off. Guess why she no longer works there?

Basically, remember that what you say will exist for "eternity" in some form somewhere on the Net on somebody's puter and don't commit any obvious offenses against employers, etc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:26 am 

I usually blog as a sort of warm up exercise before getting into some heavy writing.

If I want to write any comments I wouldn't want coming back to me now or years in the future, I just mark those private so they only viewable to me.

Doesn't mean I don't make an idiot of myself in public, but at least those incidents aren't as regular as they could be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:43 am 
Journeymouse wrote:
Basically, remember that what you say will exist for "eternity" in some form somewhere on the Net on somebody's puter and don't commit any obvious offenses against employers, etc!

Especially if, like me, you used to work for Waterstones. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:41 pm 

Paul Raven wrote:
Word. Some things are only ever learned the hard way! But I think those lessons have actually been quite useful when transferred to my non-internet life - "engage brain before putting mouth/keyboard into gear." ;)

I have three rules, borne of bitter experience: never give yourself a haircut, use your credit card, or post anything online, after three drinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:51 am 

GLP wrote:
Paul Raven wrote:

I have three rules, borne of bitter experience: never give yourself a haircut, use your credit card, or post anything online, after three drinks.

That's a rule to swear by, GLP! ;)

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:31 pm 

Paul Raven wrote:
GLP wrote:
never ... post anything online, after three drinks.

That's a rule to swear by, GLP! ;)

Actually, I suspect anything's quite acceptable blog 'netiquette', if you can remember to use Save As Draft for a title, and label the post 'drunken ramblings'!
:wink: