Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:15 pm 

TTA may well be the UK's biggest publisher of original short stories but I've no proof and could be completely wrong. Are there other candidates?
In a Crimewave year Andy publishes more than 70 original short stories and novellas.

So why no mention in this article? I'm not saying the article is wrong but I get the impression that it's somewhat shallow. Any academics amongst you care to comment?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:28 am 

Here is the reply from me:

Quote:
It would have been a useful addition to this admirably scholarly paper had the author looked at the significant publication by TTAPress of short(ish) science fiction, fantasy, horror and crime writing. It may, perhaps, be that the short forms are most lively in the "genre" area - although a quick survey of the TTA literature would should wide-ranging adventures in style and ideas which easily transcend the simple genre label. I would argue that some of the most imaginative writing currently available is in these pages. This is a unique and long-standing publishing venture in the UK with a distinguished list of authors, and an admirable (in my view) willingness to encourage new writing.

I strongly suggest an examination of the literature available here: http://www.ttapress.com

Okay - should = show

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:52 am 

Good stuff Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 pm 

Agreed - well said that man.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 pm 

Thanks, Roy, I don't subscribe to many literary magazines, but if you want to name some, I might. But from a writer's point of view and with an eye on the market, in Scotland, apart from the annual "New Writing Scotland" anthology, the magazine's that could be considered as literary - New Edinburgh Review, Chapmans, et al, seem to struggle in terms of sales, and frequency of issues. My experience and the experiences of friends of mine is that they can take forever to consider your work - up to a year - reject it nicely, ask to see more of your work and then reject that almost immediately. There is also the "new" literacy magazine, usually linked to a new publisher (who also publishes in the "e" verse), and has a bias to those who have completed a university creative writing course.

Ian

http://www.ian-hunter.co.uk/unspoken-water
Poetry Editor of the BFS Journal
Director of Read Raw Ltd
http://www.readraw.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 pm 

Cheers Ian I might send them an article, lack of response is not unusual but you have a response Jim.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm 

Quote:
TTA may well be the UK's biggest publisher of original short stories but I've no proof and could be completely wrong. Are there other candidates?
In a Crimewave year Andy publishes more than 70 original short stories and novellas.

Ra Page writes that Comma Press publish about 11 books a year, averaging at 15 stories each, all original (or newly translated into english) so that's 165 hence my supposition was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:39 pm 

I have replied to the reply. This could go on recursively!

Getting TTA further over the academic critical horizon would be useful. There are lots of colleges out there!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:48 am 

Yes keep it going Jim. Some colleges do take Interzone, usually because of an enthusist on the staff. Not sure how to sell to more of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:21 pm 

Hello!
New subscriber here. I have a keen interest in seeing Interzone thrive, because I believe that quality should triumph over the crap out there in the universe. Right over wrong, good over evil, that The Stones should win out over The Bieber on the pub jukebox -- that sort of thing. The spiritual school of Steve Ditko. Anyway.

Perhaps you could start an InnerZone 'club' or 'clan' or... whatever you'd like to call it. Or not call it.
A group of people who have access to propaganda materials could spread the word for your novellas and magazines. Since most people have access to fairly high-quality printing these days, you could supply some approved PDFs or images on the website as part of a 'Fan Kit' or similarly named file for those fans to print out and plaster everywhere. Coffee shops, Student Unions, Libraries, Stray Hobo Camps, Writers' Retreats...

Okay so I apologize for including that obviously silly reference in that last sentence. Everyone knows that what happens at a writers' retreat stays at the retreat so that would be a waste of effort.

Viral marketing is extremely effective, both in the amount of money it costs to make, and the money it brings in. This is why the largest companies and the largest product launches do viral marketing. Please don't dismiss my suggestion just because I'm writing to you from the states. It's not out of some inherent need to dominate the entire world (that's irrelevant), it's out of a desire to see that Interzone receives the accolade it deserves. If there's anything I can do here in the states, please let me know. I can place physical posters, etc. but only in certain midwest locations like Chicago, Detroit, Maybe Toronto.

Just a few people armed with some shiny posters can make a huge impact. Just ask any politician. Now, this brings up an important point - wouldn't doing something like that be unseemly, beneath the good people of TTAPress? Perhaps. But I again refer you to the jukebox. Isn't it more important that we not hear Bieber on the jukebox? If it requires us to put up pro-Stones band flyers in the pub so that we don't have to listen to bieber, then I venture that it is well worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:46 pm 

I realize this isn't 1995, and that Facebook and Twitter are the modern signposts, but I believe that my overall idea is still valid. This might already exist, you could argue that the forum itself is a form of this, as well as the TTA twitter feeds, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:38 pm 

Thanks for that Shadowed, we keep thinking about these things but never get round to doing it. I would like to do things like literary festivals and comics cons to get beyond our usual 'audience', ie the people who already know of us, but I don't have the time etc. I'll try Manchester Book Market again this year.

Someone did a musical tribute to IZ covers on U tube a while back but it didn't go viral I'm afraid. I lost the link after a computer crash and a search did not find it.

Posting some of the magazine's book and movie reviews on the website might be another way of drawing attention but also has drawbacks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:24 am 

I don't know if you guys have something planned for Loncon3, but I'm actually going to be there (assuming I'm walking by then) and I saw that Loncon3 was soliciting programming ideas... if you wanted to try to wrangle a handful of IZ/BS authors for a reading or discussion, I'd be happy to participate. TTAPress has always been very good to me, both as a writer, and very much so as a reader.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 am 

Hi Suzanne, we have a stand booked in the dealers' room so please come and see us. You can help with selling if you like. So can any other authors who feel like having a go.
I haven't tried to put TTA readers on the programme. I have done that in the past but its not always brought in big audiences. I will ask though.
Any other volunteers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 pm 

I did ask Loncon 3 about an Interzone reading. It looks like I asked too late though. Sorry.