Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Translated SF in TTA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:57 am 

Moved from the IZ 229 thread.

There is an EU grant system which is supposed to facilitate this but when I asked I got the distinct impression it was not for the likes of TTA - hence I gave up. Maybe an approach from elsewhere in the EU would do better. Andy looks at everything he is sent but publication in IZ or BS is far less certain.

Quote:
Support for translation projects. EU support for Literary Translation is aimed at enhancing knowledge of the literature and literary heritage of fellow Europeans by way of promoting the circulation of literary works between countries. Publishing houses can be awarded grants for translations and publication of works of fiction from one European language into another European language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:46 pm 

Hmmm. May I ask when you enquired about this, Roy? And what impression they gave you? I really don't see why they should deny this to TTA...

But might it be worth trying to make contact with the SF and horror associations of European countries, to see whether they have anything to suggest. I can imagine that they'd be keen to promote their authors' works in the UK.

Twitterific!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:59 pm 

Few years ago there was German project called Internova (German SF magazine Nova with mostly European authors, translated into English), but it lasted only for one issue. The second never surfaced, although it had been prepared.
In the beginning of the nineties there was Bulgarian magazine Orphia. It too lasted for only one issue (Mostly with eastern European authors translated into English).
In 1967. Pohl edited just two issues of International SF (I have one issue) before the magazine folded.

So, I don't think that special magazine dedicated to European SF would be good idea.
But maybe special issue of Interzone, or possibly few stories a year (and that only if the translations are good and cheap) could be acceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:34 pm 

If you want to see the correspondence (from 2006) e mail me at roy1gray (at) yahoo.co.uk (that's the numeric 1 not alpha L)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:39 pm 

A special issue or a special anthology might be the way to go. Or a website/a special feature on a blog? The World SF blog is trying to run regular features of stories by non-US/non-UK authors--it's exposure, though I don't think they're in a position to pay anything at the moment.

Jean-Claude (Dunyach) does have a point, which is that if one were to take short stories shortlisted for major awards in their own countries and translate those, one would have an insurance of quality as well as a strong marketing point, I imagine. It wouldn't be ideal in the sense of putting non-Anglophone authors on an equal footing with the Anglophone ones, but it would already be a pretty big start. I could be mistaken, but I didn't get the feeling most shortlists of French awards ever made it out of France, whereas everyone knows what the Hugo shortlist looks like.

Not sure what we're trying to achieve though: I got the feeling this started out as a way to hook up non-Anglophones with translators in order to enable them to publish, but now we seem to be pushing more for direct publication?

*puzzled* (love the discussion, though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm 

What an interesting discussion. I was doing some research into grants (in connection with the volunteer work that I do) and I know that there is a grant-giving body which is directed at translation.
Could it be the same grant-giving body your talking about, Roy? I don't remember the name of that body as I was looking into grants for workshops at the time and just stumbled across the thing about translations.

An interesting point to consider is how such a project contributes towards further discussion of genre, it would be considered educational and literary which ups the chances on getting a grant.

And wouldn't such a project (particularly if it includes sectionson analysis and commentary) fall under the definition artistic?

Post subject: Re: Translated SF in TTA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 pm 

Roy wrote:
Moved from the IZ 229 thread.

There is an EU grant system which is supposed to facilitate this but when I asked I got the distinct impression it was not for the likes of TTA - hence I gave up. Maybe an approach from elsewhere in the EU would do better. Andy looks at everything he is sent but publication in IZ or BS is far less certain.

Quote:
Support for translation projects. EU support for Literary Translation is aimed at enhancing knowledge of the literature and literary heritage of fellow Europeans by way of promoting the circulation of literary works between countries. Publishing houses can be awarded grants for translations and publication of works of fiction from one European language into another European language.

Well, I happen to work quite closely with the EU (in aeronautics but the paperwork is quite similar :-). In fact, if a publishing house would gather a collection of European short stories from various countries, it could get a grant covering 50% of the translation cost. And if a set of publishing houses across Europe would agree on a common publication of such anthology in their respective countries, the "consortium" of publishing houses could ask for a much larger grant, thus ensuring the simultaneous publication of the book all over Europe.
It's a nightmare to organise - we tried it 10 years ago in the frame of the European Utopiales festival - but it could be very rewarding.
On the other hand, maybe we could organize ourselves in France to gather some money and have the award winning short stories translated in English each year. I'll see what can be done - and it means that Interzone/TTA might receive submissions of French texts (translated). And I realise that I didn't send anything to Interzone in ages. Tss...

Post subject: Re: Translated SF in TTA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:27 pm 

Oh, and by the way, I found on the EC web site the list of books that were eligible for translation support. There are some SF books in it (including one of mine that was translated in Hungarian :-)).
Check at:
http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/culture/fundi ... 009_en.php
And download or visualize the "Projects selected for co-funding 11/08/2009" PDF document. You'll see which books were selected in 2009.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:34 pm 

82 projects 370 books, impressive.
I can't see anything for TTA in this. 50% of translation is too little.
The thought of wading through EU documents again does not fill me with enthusiasm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 am 

Perhaps Jim Hawkins' contacts would be willing to work for 50%...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:13 pm 

Possibly but then they would only end up with 25%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm 

Roy, I think you are right about 50% being too little if that's all TTA can get for one translation. But suppose the UK has some funds that can be added to that 50%? A decision in any given case would depend on how much above 50% can be gotten. I'd be surprised if the UK has no source at all for translation work. What about the British Council?

That said, going in search of extra funds (above 50%) for every story one would like to print is probably asking too much of anybody. I've seen similar things in academia and am glad I retired early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:32 pm 

Trouble is Andy et al don't know if they want to print a story until it is translated. A bit late to ask for a grant then.

also the UK government need all their cash to pay the corrupt spinners and consultants they use to salt away their nest eggs and ill gotten gains. There's none left for the likes of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:46 pm 

Yes. I can see that. To make matters much worse, Sharon Ring sent me something to post, about cuts to film and library organisations. I link to it here: http://darkfictionreview.net/2010/07/uk-arts-cuts/.
Dark ages approaching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:21 pm 

Here's new page of German based SF magazine in English, Internova.
This was the first issue, they plan to post the second issue that has never been published, and after that publish new stories.
As you can see, the writers are from all over the world.

The editor is Michael Iwoleit, German SF writer and editor.

http://nova-sf.de/internova/?cat=3