Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: TTA in Central London
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 pm 

Checked out Charing Cross Road Borders and Blackwells plus Forbidden Planet in Shaftsbury Ave.

The latter had Interzone on the main (text) magazine rack in the basement but I saw no sign of Black Static (which may be good, they've sold out - or may be bad).

Borders had plenty of Interzone 224's but hard to find, between Nexus at the front and VIz behind, with Dangerous Inkas their neighbour. These were in the lowest rack of a 3 shelf set with Writing Mags in the rack above and Time Outs in the top rack. The whole set was to the right of the section labelled 'Culture and Media' and well away from our normal neighbourhood of SFX and Death Ray etc.
Again no Black Statics (which may be ... etc.)

Also no sign of our US peers Analog etc., I may have missed them but they weren't obvious.

I saw no magazines in Blackwells but they did have a 'Books on Demand' machine chugging away towards the back. First one I've seen and I wish I'd had more time to watch it at work. Some of its output was on display. I wasn't impressed with them but no doubt they will improve..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:03 am 

It's interesting that you reported on this now, Roy. Right before seeing your post I decided to call or Skype my old friends at the American Book Centre (really: Center) in Amsterdam, in order to say hello and to ask about their shelving of IZ. I'll let you know, probably tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:58 am 

Thanks George. We did have an enquiry about IZ in Rotterdam. I couldn't answer that but I did refer to your earlier comments about the American Book Center in Amsterdam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:43 pm 

Good Roy. The ABC has a shop in The Hague as well. It's pretty good for SF, but the Amsterdam store is slightly better. They are here .
At the Amsterdam place Karin is the SF buyer. She has followed my advice for years. two other persons there, Reynoud and Timan are SF fans. The three are friendly and have different tastes, so one can be assured of getting good advice there, even though I don't hang out there anymore.