Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:45 am 

Can't see them doing that in Brighton - Waterstones is just down the road, and it's a fairly good size one, on five floors. I suspect Borders will become a clothes shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:25 am 

Mike A wrote:
Can't see them doing that in Brighton - Waterstones is just down the road, and it's a fairly good size one, on five floors. I suspect Borders will become a clothes shop.

Agreed. Another one. It'll be prime estate, at the entrance to the Churchill Square shopping centre.

I didn't realise that you were in Brighton Mike. Hell, I've probably seen you in there, without realising it, given that half of Brighton has seemed to be in Borders the last few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 am 

We should start a 'fiction mag at waterstones' lobby, one of things social networking is good for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am 

I'm not sure about a social networking thing, but if enough of us email or write to waterstones about it, it might have some impact. If they see enough demand for it, they'd be foolish to turn away a potential market in this economic climate, particularly where they can pick up Borders' former customers with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:19 pm 

I mean things like facebook, in order to get as many as possible to do so, there will be many more who would join in not just us tta fans, and it would be easier to bring it to the attention of waterstones rather than flooding them with mail or email. Just an idea though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:22 pm 

Hi Matthew, I actually live in Seaford, some 10 miles along the coast, but Brighton is my nearest big shopping town. I did live there 1993-2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 pm 

Mike A wrote:
Hi Matthew, I actually live in Seaford, some 10 miles along the coast, but Brighton is my nearest big shopping town. I did live there 1993-2003.

Ah, I actually have family in Seaford :P
I'm in Brighton as a student, at Sussex University.

gileadslostson wrote:
I mean things like facebook, in order to get as many as possible to do so, there will be many more who would join in not just us tta fans, and it would be easier to bring it to the attention of waterstones rather than flooding them with mail or email. Just an idea though Smile

A good one, too. You should set up the group, and we can begin a campaign for it. You're right, there will be other magazine communities interested in this. I think it's seriously worth a try, as much for magazines in general as for TTA.

Last edited by Matthew S Dent on Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:51 pm 

Will do so once I get home :) the keyboard on the phone is to fidgety for it lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:38 pm 

Andy wrote:
Waterstones doesn't stock fiction magazines...

I didn't realise that - the first time I saw The Third Alternative was in the Birmingham one. Though thinking about it that might have when it was still Dillons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:00 pm 

Went into Charing X Rd Borders today. Windows plastered with sales signs. 20 or 50% off most stock. Many of the magazine shelves were empty and no sign of IZ. There were a few Realms of Fantasy along with neighbours like Locus, UFo and Weed World.

Gaps were beginning to appear in the book shelves as well.

Luckily Forbidden Planet, round the corner in Shaftsbury Ave has IZ 224 (2 left)and 225 (9 left) on sale. Magazines are fighting a losing battle there. The prominent upstairs mag shelves feature T shirts and comic + figurine combinations and a block of SFX, Sci Fi Now, Dr Who mags along with Edge, Empire etc. Notices tell you the rest have been moved downstairs.

Downstairs are more magazines including, hard to spot on the bottom shelf IZ, but the staff seem unworried about magazines as many are placed on the shelves as received eg spine reversals for distribution remain reversed on 'display'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:26 pm 
When I worked at Waterstones this was regularly discussed. The problem was always lack of money for such projects... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:09 pm 

I sent an enquiry about the posibilities and just waitin on the reply (within 48hrs) before I start the group :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:12 pm 

gileadslostson wrote:
I sent an enquiry about the posibilities and just waitin on the reply (within 48hrs) before I start the group :)

I'm intending to send an enquiry this evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:29 pm 

Was in the Norwich one this afternoon, and there were signs up on the magazine racks saying 'This concession is not part of the 20% off promotion'. Does the term concession imply that somebody else, WHS for example, is doing magazines for them?

9 Interzones and 4 Black Statics left standing.

Quite a few people milling. The books seemed to be going, especially those for children, but not the DVDs, which was hardly surprising as, even with 20% off, they were more expensive than round the corner at HMV (e.g. "The Wrestler" £14.99 less 20%, but only £8 at HMV).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 pm 

Waterstones in Deansgate, Manchester did stock IZ and other magazines but that was a local staff decision. Local staff aren't allowed to make such decisions now. The manager and others were SF fans and hence made sure they stocked IZ.

Why pick on Waterstones? Their systems may not be able to cope with ISSNs as opposed to ISBNs.
It's WHSmug who should be stocking IZ and without charging us £1000's for the privilege.

Last edited by Roy on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next