Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:11 pm 

Melanie: I saw Tom Waits play in 2004 in London and it was (and it remains) the best show I've ever seen. I doubt it will ever be bettered (for me). I still live in hope, probably misguided, that he'll come to England again this year. But the cost of hotels and flights etc made even a trip to France or Ireland too prohibitive, unfortunately.

Neil: what a funny coincidence. Just Thursday night I was chatting to a school mate who I haven't seen for a couple of years and he went to the Maiden gig at Twickenham and said it was like being a teenager again! (He was a massive Maiden fan but hadn't seen them in 15 years!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:23 pm 

Dave Mathew wrote:
Melanie: I saw Tom Waits play in 2004 in London and it was (and it remains) the best show I've ever seen. I doubt it will ever be bettered (for me). I still live in hope, probably misguided, that he'll come to England again this year. But the cost of hotels and flights etc made even a trip to France or Ireland too prohibitive, unfortunately.

That probably explains why I heard so many people speaking English at the show. It must have cost them a fortune - the tickets themselves were pretty expensive. I hope you'll eventually get to see him this year.

I wouldn't call it the best show I've ever seen, though - I think the "best shows ever" for me were two PJ Harvey gigs, one in 1998 and another one last year - then again, I'm more of a PJ Harvey fan than a Tom Waits fan, even though I'm in awe of the man and his work. I can't help thinking I would have enjoyed the show even more if I had been closer to the stage (I usually like to be close enough to see the artists' expressions).
If anyone's interested, I posted my photos here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 am 

Wow! Great photos! We weren't allowed to take cameras in when I went (not that it stopped some people because there are loads of photos of the 2004 show on the web). I wish I had been there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:15 am 

Double coincidence, Dave. Not only did your mate also do the Maiden-timewarp a few weeks ago (and it was *great* fun), but I also went to see Tom Waits in Edinburgh last night. And he was awesome. Just awesome.

I remembered being jealous of you when you went to see him in 2004, and kinda regretted not taking the plunge myself - but for similar reasons, when you add on the travel and accommodation it just gets so expensive.

It’s interesting what you say about him not playing England this time around because there were people around us from all over. Two English couples, an American couple, and – bless them – two young lads who flew over from Iceland just for the show.

Me, I know now that wherever that man plays again, if I have the cash in my pocket I’ll go anywhere to see him do 9th and Hennepin again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 am 

NeilW wrote:
I’ll go anywhere to see him do 9th and Hennepin again.

Oh wow. We didn't get that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:38 am 

I think he varied the set-list a little, Melanie, kept a few surprises in store for the second night audiences.

I've written up a somewhat rambling blog post about it if anyone's interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:05 pm 

Interesting blog, Neil. Makes me wish I'd been there even more. And I remember that same waking-from-a-dream sensation on leaving the theatre. We had to go and have a drink afterwards, just to calm down. The pub was packed with concert-goers doing exactly the same thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:33 pm 

Dave Mathew wrote:
Makes me wish I'd been there even more. And I remember that same waking-from-a-dream sensation on leaving the theatre. We had to go and have a drink afterwards, just to calm down. The pub was packed with concert-goers doing exactly the same thing!

Aye, that's it exactly, Dave. The bus back to Glasgow was full of people in that semi-catatonia. But, you know, in a good way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:16 pm 

NeilW wrote:
I've written up a somewhat rambling blog post about it if anyone's interested.

"The eyeball moments"... I remember those well too (I'm slightly frustrated that I didn't get any good pictures of the mirrorball hat). Nice blog entry, I think it captures the atmosphere well.
I really wonder what '9th and Hennepin' sounds like live, it must be pretty weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:49 am 

He performs '9th and Hennepin' live on the BIG TIME film if that's any help. Not that he would have done it the same way this time around, mind you, given who he is. But it's eerie on the film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:20 am 

It's both creepy and beautiful, and that's the magic of it.

There's a photo in this set (not mine) with him standing next to the lightbulb. That's what it looked like.