Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:27 pm 

Just saw what was probably my 2nd favorite concert ever! Asia (original members) played last night in Raleigh, NC. They sounded incredible!

If you're in GA (tonight's concert), TX, AZ, CA, NV, OR, WA (all in the U.S.) or near Edinburgh Picturehouse, Birmingham Institute, Holmfirth Picturedorome Market Walk, London Forum, or Falmouth Princess Pavilion, then I can't recommend strongly enough that you go see them in concert.

The supergroup reformed to celebrate the band's 25th anniversary in 2006 and (unknown to me because I didn't even know they were back together until recently) came out with two albums since, entitled Phoenix and Omega. Hopefully, the recent album's title is only a complement to their earlier album entitled Alpha and doesn't foretell the end of one of the best bands ever.

The only thing that would have made the concert better is if "Cutting it Fine" and "Without You" were on the playlist. I guess that's how they'll ensure that we attend their next show, assuming they continue together (keeping my fingers crossed real tight). LOL

Click Here for tour dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 pm 

Wow, that takes me back... I painted a mural of the 'Heat of the Moment' cover (by Roger Dean, of course) on my bedroom wall when I was about 15. I liked 'Asia' and 'Alpha', but was never much into their later stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:00 pm 

Mike A wrote:
Wow, that takes me back... I painted a mural of the 'Heat of the Moment' cover (by Roger Dean, of course) on my bedroom wall when I was about 15.

That was most definitely an awesome looking cover.

Mike A wrote:
I liked 'Asia' and 'Alpha', but was never much into their later stuff.

Yeah, Astra didn't do as much for me, but "Go" actually sounded really good in concert. To me, every album that had John Payne in it wasn't a real Asia album. Amazingly, their newest two albums feel like they picked up where Alpha left off. If you listened to the albums back to back, you'd swear they were made only a few years apart, not a few decades apart. Check out this song off their Phoenix album at YouTube if you want to see what I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:54 pm 

For those that are wondering what my favorite concert ever was, it's Journey during their Raised on Radio tour. Glass Tiger opened for them and played for a blessedly short 30 minutes. After an excruciating 30 minutes of sound checks (because Steve Perry tended to spin around a lot and create feedback on the mic from the rushing air - I noticed this when it happened once), Journey finally took the stage and played for an awe-inspiring 3 1/2 hours. I've never seen a band play as long since. Everyone at the concert knew every word to their songs. The concert itself was the best ever even without them playing so long. The entire stadium was on its feet from start to finish.

It was general admission too. Thank goodness the police let the crowds inside in very small batches or we would have been crushed to death. I got there extra early that morning with a friend and we ended up getting to stand right in front of the stage, 6 feet right of center stage, with one person in front of us. Perry was less than 10 feet from me many times.