Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:11 am 

Sam Tomainio describes BS8 as "flawless" in SF Revu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:46 pm 

I thought the strongest story this issue was Lynda E Rucker's 'These Things We Have Always Known'.
It does the trick of hinting at things without totally explaining and the ending was just riveting. You thought, and were hoping that it would end safely, but it didn't!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm 

I've just realised that the entry on Rob Grant's blog I linked to earlier is actually his 'official' entry on Sci-Fi-London.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:06 pm 

Review at The Fix:-

http://thefix-online.com/reviews/black-static-8/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:09 pm 

Pete wrote:

Ouch! And I thought I was hard to please... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 pm 

You should read the original review, Lawrence. I have a copy and I'm tempted to post it. I don't recall ever being so appalled by a review, and not because it's 'harsh'. In fact, I would've preferred that the original version had run and not some badly edited version of it, because at least then people would be more likely to realise, from the very first paragraph when the reviewer states that Black Static "suffers from a problem a lot of e-publications in the horror industry do," that the reviewer really doesn't know what she's talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:37 pm 

Did that reviewer get the same copy of Issue 8 as me, because it sure doesn't correspond to my thoughts on the issue?

The reviewer evidently likes her stories to be neatly resolved and wrapped in ribbon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:57 am 

I have to say that in that issue at least three stories were very good, Samphire's, Cooper's and Pirie's.
The only story that falled a little flat for me was Fry's.
My only objection is that there's comparatively less fiction in Black Static than in Interzone, and I would like to see more of that with shorter reviews. And it seems to me that Interzone fiction quality is slightly higher than Black Static's, but then I like SF better than horror.
Artwork is really great and mr. Gentry is doing a great job.

And the folowing sentence is quote from the review. I didn't understand it, but since I'm not native English speaker it may be the reason why or maybe it was the editing.

The reviews seem to follow the same tone of judgments and assumptions made in the beginning announcements, making them less useful than they might otherwise have been, since it’s less focused on how successful a book or movie is at what it means to do than whether it should have been meant to do something else. Still, the interview will be of interest to Clark fans, as it makes mention of current projects in progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:25 am 

galaxie500 wrote:
..quote from the review. I didn't understand it...

..reviews seem to follow the same tone of judgments and assumptions ... making them less useful than they might otherwise have been...

:roll: :?

As a reviewer, I consciously make judgements about films in context of their 'genre' content, and prefer to assume BS readers' intelligence - rather than insulting it - by using brevity in my comments... but, in pointing out any film's success or failure, comparisons with similar works are often unavoidable. Is my 'assumption' that readers will probably be familiar with subgenre tropes a mistake?
:wink:

Critical feedback is always welcome... so it'd be helpful to see that 'original' version of the review, in case it's any clearer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:23 pm 

Well, the reviewer makes a fair point about my tale regarding money. However, the issue about "having a clear sight of the things pursuing him" is odd, since every glimpse the kid does get of the things is rationalised as something else. However, he is aware of his pursuer (one thing, not two things); he just doesn't want to admit that. Hence the last scene.

Interestingly, I think a few people have problems with the M R Jamesian suggestive method: David Punter, for example, dismisses James on the basis of his prose's complicity between author and reader, as if both cannot know what the central character doesn't know him/herself. But that's what suggestiveness is.

Oh well, win some, lose some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:10 am 

Tony, I'll send it to you. I hope some readers will answer your question, here or direct, but me, no I don't think it's a mistake at all.

Meanwhile, I don't think anybody linked this brief mention of BS8 on Horrorworld.