Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Black Static 4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:38 pm 

Issue 4 of Black Static: Transmissions From Beyond is out now, and has been mailed to all subscribers and contributors.

As usual, cover and all original art is by David Gentry.

Stories:

Cleaning the Western Kittiwake by Tyler Keevil

Atwater by Cody Goodfellow

Zombie by Conrad Williams

Salt by Nicholas Royle

Ye Shall Eat in Haste by Steve Nagy

(wordpress wouldn't upload the graphic)
This Much I Remember by Barry Fishler

Regulars:

White Noise (news compiled by Peter Tennant)

Electric Darkness by Stephen Volk

Blood Spectrum by Tony Lee (DVD reviews and competitions)

Case Notes by Peter Tennant (12 pages of book reviews, sidebars, factoids and featurettes, including an interview with Conrad Williams)

Japan’s Dark Lanterns by John Paul Catton

Night’s Plutonian Shore by Mike O’Driscoll

Subscribe now!

Last edited by Andy on Sat May 24, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 pm 

Looks as gorgeous as I've come to expect. Hopefully I'll get caught up with my unread mags soon so I can sort out resubbing. :D

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:49 pm 

That is a beautiful cover. I mean, I've come to expect top-class art, layout and design from TTA and BS4 is continuing the standards. But, for my own personal tastes, that is a beautiful cover.

Me blog: http://dylan-fox.blogspot.com/
And if that's not enough, I'm on Twitter, too: Foxie299

Post subject: Black Static covers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:13 pm 

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts about the inspiration for the various covers. Each one definitely jumps out at you, and I'm sure the process is just as interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:13 pm 

Hi all, been a subscriber to BS, IZ and CW for a couple of years now and thought I'd respond to Andy's wish for more activity on the BS forum.

Well what can I say! Received my BS4 today and I've just finished 'This Much I Remember' having read 'Atwater', 'Zombie', and 'Salt' earlier this evening.

'This much...' is an absolute triumph. I'm not 100% sure why it's in BS but I'm so glad it is. It blew me away, I've still got goosebumps- there perhaps I've answered myself! The story gripped me, upset me, crushed me, grabbed my heart and wrapped it in knots. Fabulous and totally not what I was expecting to find inside the covers of my beloved Black Static. I applaud you Mr Fishler!

I enjoyed 'Zombie' too although it was too short and I recognised far too much of myself in it.

'Atwater' was a tour de force that I enjoyed immensely right up until the reveal. I have to admit I was a bit miffed at the author for resorting to this much used and abused vehicle, especially with what had gone before. Had the ending been a little more original and (to me at least) less predictable, it would have been my favourite story of the last twelve months. Even so it was a cracking read that was so vivid I felt I was watching a special effects laiden movie. Wow!

Anyway that's it for now except to say I'm off to bed to read 'Cleaning The Western Kittiwake' and to then catch up on all those pre BS4 stories I've yet to read.

Please Andy, as much as I enjoy the articles, can't we have more fiction per issue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:01 am 

As publicity person for TTA this is worth quoting,and it has been, so thanks Inkslug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:06 pm 

CORRECTION: My review of "Horror Panegyric" contains the statement 'Savoy was founded by Lord Horror author David Britton expressly to publish his own work'.

This is incorrect. Savoy was founded by Britton and Michael Butterworth, and for many years published the work of other writers, including Michael Moorcock. They only published Britton's "Lord Horror" when it had failed, because of the controversial content, to find another outlet.

My mistake, and I've apologised to Savoy for the error. I'm now off to see if this egg on my face will fry up for tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:47 pm 

Thanks Roy, first time I've ever been quoted! Perhaps I should get out my dusty file of 99.9999% finished stories and see if I have any luck with them lol.

Keep up the great work guys my renewals will be hitting your desks soon. This issue has re-ignited my thirst for all TTA short fiction, trouble is I'm running out of unread stories!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:27 pm 

In my salesman's hat we do have American Graveyards, Alison and soon Islington Crocodiles if you do run short.

I'll be at Alt Fiction Derby 26 April, Liverpool 10 May and Manchester 11 June for anyone at the events who wants to buy. I'll put details in the Events topic soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:28 am 

i'm loving #4 so far! recieved it yesterday and nearly finished it.
the film reviews, for the ones that i have seen, are spot on as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 am 

Some very quick thoughts on #4:

'Cleaning the Western Kittiwake' - I sound this to be a slightly predictable ghost story, but nevertheless an enjoyable one.

'Atwater' - I feel somewhat conflicted with - some fantasticly macabre imagery here, but the story seemed to be so full of full-on wierdness that the sudden appearance of any sort of rational explanation at the end slightly threw me, as by that point I'd given up on getting any narrative sense from this one. Probably a story I really need to read again to get my head round...

'Zombie' - short but intense stuff, I'm looking forward to Conrad's new novel.

'Salt - nice to see Nicholas Royle back, though this was perhaps a little short to really get inside my head, and was very reminiscent of an old Ramsey Campbell story whose name escapes me.

'Ye Shall Eat in Haste' - Sorry, this just didn't work for me. I have read Dracula a couple of years ago, but I can't remember all the ins and outs of it, so most of the characters and references were opaque to me. If there was a good idea here I would have preferred it was developed in an original story rather than as a sequel to another work.

'This Much I Remember' - the sole outright dud of the issue for me, I'm sorry but this was SO overwritten I struggled to wade through it.

Still, a good solid issue despite a little tail off at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:54 pm 

BS#4 across the Solent, today... only read Mr Volk's column (interesting, as usual!), so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:42 am 

Arrived in gloriously sunny Cumbria yesterday. It looks just as good in the flesh, as it were. I enjoyed reading through, but I have to say I pretty much share Dave Bowman's opinion on the individual stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 am 

Arrived in Seaford, Sussex yesterday. I'm now about 2 Interzones and 2 Black Statics behind. Must be time for a holiday soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:47 pm 

http://thefix-online.com/reviews/black-static-4/