Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Should we review books that have SOLD OUT?
Yes, I'm interested in hearing about them anyway and copies may turn up on eBay or elsewhere 83%  83%  [ 10 ]
No, if I can't buy a book I don't care how good/bad it is, use the space for other things 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but only if the writers are Black Static contributors 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 pm 

I'm interested in opinions on this.

Mainly it applies only to the Spectral Press chapbooks, whose print run is so low and most of which go to subscribers, that invariably they've sold out by the time any review appears, but there are other cases where a book is a limited edition and they are very close to selling out by the time we go to press (e.g. I wrote the review for "Old Knowledge" by Rosalie Parker, only to find that it had sold out when I went to the publishers website to check price, and for a couple of the books in my stack I've seen publishers post recently that remaining copies are in single figures).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:32 pm 

In general, if the book is only available as a limited print copy and has already sold out, then, no, I'm not intersted in seeing reviews of it. But, hopefully, there's an e-book version.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:11 pm 

I enjoy the reviews just for the sake of the review, though (and I'll read reviews of books I've already read, just to see how my thoughts compare to the reviewer's). Plus I'd also like to hear about a writer's work even if I can't get my hands on it as it'll make me all the quicker to get my mitts on whatever they release next (assuming it's good, of course!).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:41 pm 

What Ray said.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:46 pm 

Authors associated with TTA yes, not just Black Static, though that's the option I chose. A bit tricky if you have to check every book's status before you review it. So I'm not too worried as I can never read all the stuff you review.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:51 pm 

I'm interested in reviews of books that have sold out. Reviews aren't just about potential purchases - it's also about keeping up with developments in the field. But if it's a matter of prioritising something, I'd make those a lower priority.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:42 pm 

I'd agree with still reviewing them. Even if it hasn't sold out and I know I'll never be able to afford the cost of a limited edition, I'd still like to read it just to gain an insight into what's happening. And like Mike said, there may be the possibility of a future e-version, etc. Or just so I can look out for it in a writer's future collection.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 pm 

Yes - I'm fine with them as even if this particular book has sold out, if it's a good review it will get the author 'on my radar' so to speak, and make it more likely that I will check out something by them - or the publishers - in the future. And just because something has sold out it doesn't mean that it won't be reprinted at some point in the future, or suddenly appear one day on the second hand market.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:23 pm 

I agree with everybody, but especially Mike. When space is limited I'd rather see that space used for a book that we can still actually buy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:27 pm 

(And some of these books are "sold out" before they even go to print. Why don't they just print a few more copies? Don't say the L word!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm 

I've reviewed books that have sold out but do have e-version available or soon to be. I've discovered writers, small presses and old books through these sort of reviews too. The review, if its good, shouldn't just be about that book but about the writer and to a smaller extent the press too. This can give the tone of the style and help you decide if you want to seek their older or future work.