Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLACK STATIC 30
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:15 pm 

Just finished reading this today, another great issue! Carole's story was my favorite out of the lot, with Ray and James coming in a very close second.. :)

I have to say that the art work in both Black Static and Interzone is always amazing, and this month's cover inspired me to write a short story.. :D It's funny the places you find inspiration!

Also, I've started reading Interzone 242 and the first thing I noticed was the color, it really brings the magazine to life! I'm not sure if you plan to put color into Black Static, but it's something I'd like to see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:32 pm 

Another very positive Ginger Nuts of Horror review.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 pm 

And another one on Tangent Online.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm 

Ian Hunter - just read your comment. You swine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:41 pm 

Now that Black Static and Interzone are both the same size I think Black Static would benefit from having some colour in it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 pm 

Paul Woodward wrote:
Now that Black Static and Interzone are both the same size I think Black Static would benefit from having some colour in it. :)

If we all throw money into the b&w hat, Andy might pull out a technicolour wabbit again.
Presto!
:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:51 pm 

Aw, thank you, Darren :D I'm very glad you liked it and that you said so!

Loads of great stories to choose from, but I think my favourite of the lot was Ray's All Change. Although, Daniel's The Wayside Voices stayed with me for a long time after reading.

Enjoyed all the columns, as ever, but Stephen Volk's in particular. Once upon a time, I was one of those "traumatised kids" and loved every second of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:35 pm 

Carole - choose one of the following:

a) I'm really truly sorry I traumatised you with "Ghostwatch" and will never do it again.

b) I'm really glad I traumatized you and will do my best to do so again in the not too distant future.

Thanks!

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 pm 

My review of BS#30
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/201 ... static-30/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:17 pm 

Black Static 30 uploaded to Fictionwise, Smashwords and Amazon. Only Smashwords is live as yet, Amazon tomorrow and F'wise on 13 Nov or 20th.

The Smashwords contents list is overwhelmled by the links to individual reviews, for some reason, whereas the Amazon version keeps them out of the TOC. Anyone who can explain why, so I can correct it, please tell me. Smashwords seems to see any bookmarked words as grist for the TOC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:33 pm 

Not sure, Roy - but there's probably an answer to be found in that interminable Smashwords how-to guide..!

I'm really glad to see the issues appearing so promptly on Kindle - my two-year print sub to Black Static and Interzone is about to expire and nice as the print versions are, I'm really looking forward to reading them on the Kindle again. Looking at the Amazon samples of the current issues, there are two improvements I'd love to see if possible...

One is for for the font not to be fixed - being able to choose your own font for reading is one of the best things about the Kindle. The other is for them to have a proper, built-in contents, and for the stories to be set up as chapters. At the moment each issue shows up as one long article, and if you choose "Go To" the individual stories don't show as destinations.

But I've seen both those problems on other ebooks that start off on Smashwords (e.g. Rhys Hughes' self-published titles), so I'm guessing they might be tricky to fix.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:21 am 

Thanks Stephen, I'll see if can find answers. Do the internal links from my toc to content item work? Would more return to toc links help if they do?
I can try an auto contents table as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 am 

Yes, those internal links work (at least the ones leading to bits in the samples). And selecting Go To Contents takes you to your contents page (what I think of as the "manual" contents), so it all seems to work fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted Interzone and Black Static are on Kindle at all - it used to be so frustrating waiting for Fictionwise to release the issues, when I subscribed through them - so neither of those things will stop me buying the issues.

What you you miss with a single article set-up are things like the "Time to Read" function on the newer Kindles, which tells you how long it'll take to read the chapter you're on - brilliant with short story collections, because it convinces me that I have time to read just-one-more. On the older Kindles, you can move the slider/d-pad left and right to switch quickly between chapters/articles/stories, and see with little notches across the reading bar how long each story is.

If you wanted an example of what i mean, Karin Tidbeck's Jagannath is set up beautifully on Kindle (to the extent that I bought it despite having the print copy in hand).

Return to TOC links are useful on some of the legacy devices supported by Fictionwise and Smashwords, but you don't often (ever?) see them in Kindle books - you can always get to the contents via the Go To button.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 pm 

Steve I'm trying autocontents tables with the Amazon IZ 242 upload but if it looks a problem I'll reupload a 'normal' version. I looked at the Amazon 'Publishing on Kindle: Guidelines for Publishers' which mainly goes right over my head but seems to show that uploading ebooks via word document fixes the fonts to start. I'm not sure about the "Time to Read" function. Auto contents may help.

I've placed a secondary autocontents table in the Book Zone. So that may mess things up.
Roy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:41 pm 

Just finished Black Static #30 in time to begin #31.

Here are a few thoughts:

The Pig Farm - backwoods story with the twist of the weird that Cooper does so well. I felt there were a few unanswered questions, but it was sufficiently creepy and believeable to resonate some while after reading.

All Change - well-written, but on this occasion a little too famliar for me. It met my expectations rather than subverted them.

The Wayside Voices - not keen on this one. Just couldn't really engage with either the characters or the situation.

Recurrence - found this really interesting and well-written. Not sure I totally understood it, but that's not a bad thing.

Sometimes I Get A Good Feeling - a great concept, but I felt it overly long. I think it was clear early on that the threat is in the main character's head (at least, I think it is), and to keep it running for the length of the story felt a bit of an effort.

The Orphan and the Bad, Bad Monkey - my favourite story this issue. Intriguing, succinct, very well-written and enjoyable in a sicky kind of way. Good stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next