Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:47 am 

I think people expected so much that whatever they actually read was going to dissapoint them, even though it was bloody brilliant. There was something in pretty much every paragraph that horrified or disgusted, and as if the end of the world isn't enough to fear, an end of the world with survivors like these must be the WORST thing imaginable! Oh, and the writing itself was great. I especially liked the seemingly reluctant use of Roy as protagonist.

Post subject: Re: Meloy/Pinborough
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:35 am 

james carroll wrote:
Please don't listen to these so called horror fans who say the Meloy/Pinborough story isn't very good. The Compartments Of Hell is brilliant. It's everything that great horror fiction is all about.

So someone has a different opinion to you about one particular story and that discounts them from being a horror fan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:23 pm 

Meloy/Pinborough

Last edited by james carroll on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:43 pm 

Quote:
james carroll wrote:-
This is about more than one particular story.

Well your comment was made in relation to one story, totally ignoring the context in which it was made.

If you read what's written on the other forum, there's nothing to indicate the guy was expecting 'fluffy the vampire'. He had good things to say about several of the stories in the magazine, and finished by stating it was a strong issue. He didn't like the Meloy/Pinborough story, but that's par for the course. You're never going to please everybody. If you check a few threads on here you'll find plenty of people expressing reservations about particular stories, and it's no big deal. We all love Black Static, but that doesn't mean we have to agree about everything, or that anyone who doesn't share the same opinion should be disparaged for it, or tarred with a 'so called horror fan' label. You'd have made your point better by elaborating on why you liked the Meloy/Pinborough story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:41 am 

Meloy/Pinborough

Last edited by james carroll on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm 

I'm sure Paul and Sarah appreciate your enthusiasmfor their work James and if you spark some discussion of the issue that's great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 pm 

It's great to generate a bit of discussion, even though the medium of the forum can sometimes lead to ambiguity and misinterpretation! A lot of these guys have been around for a while and are entitled to say what they like; they've earned the right. Ross has always been a great supporter of my stuff and although I'd have loved it if he'd got off on Compartments, I'm just as interested to hear why he didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:38 am 

Meloy/Pinborough

Last edited by james carroll on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 am 

Quote:
I hadn't even heard of Islington Crocodiles until now.

What kind of "so called horror fan" are you..?

(Insert winking emoticon)

Sorry - couldn't resist. Thought I'd pop over from the Dark Minds Forum as my comments seem to have added fuel to this particular fire.

That said, all I ever did was say I was disappointed in the story and that disappointment stems from the fact that I have read Islington Crocodiles, was blown away by it and was expecting the same level of imagination and innovation in the BS story. I think if you're going to review stuff it would be useful to read it properly.

Debate is great - and that's what forums should be about - but we should realise that everyone's tastes are different. Thank God for that, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things. Don't resort to cheap shots though (whatever your intention) - I don't know you and you don't know me so don't label me as a "so called horror fan" and imply that I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been reading horror now for over 35 years (and I've still got all me own teeth you know!) so have a pretty good idea of what I like and don't like. (And Fluffy the sparkly vampire falls into the don't like category). So I guess my opinions are equally as valid as yours.

I share your passion for horror - that's why I subscribe to BS - and what I love about the magazine is that it generally is a mixed bag, some stories are brilliant, some not so. It's introduced me to authors like Gary McMahon and James Cooper for which I'm eternally grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 am 

Quote:
karswell wrote:-
and I've still got all me own teeth you know!

Karswell, I was on your side until you said that.

As a denture wearer of many years I find such boastful remarks extremely hurtful :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
karswell wrote:-
and I've still got all me own teeth you know!

Karswell, I was on your side until you said that.

Yes - I keep them in a cup by the side of my bed. They're highly polished and have runic symbols inscribed on them. I use them to foretell the future. It's not my method of choice but I had to stop disembowelling animals when the neighbours complained.

My own fault really, should have seen it coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 pm 

I get stuff stuck under mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 am 

James wrote
Quote:
I hadn't even heard of Islington Crocodiles until now. So Paul, I'd love to review it if you're able to send me a copy. Was it released as an Ebook?

All sold out James I'm afraid but you can find more from Paul in IZ 208, BS 6, and TTA 40 in the back issues. No E book so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:29 pm 

PaulM wrote:
It's great to generate a bit of discussion, even though the medium of the forum can sometimes lead to ambiguity and misinterpretation! A lot of these guys have been around for a while and are entitled to say what they like; they've earned the right. Ross has always been a great supporter of my stuff and although I'd have loved it if he'd got off on Compartments, I'm just as interested to hear why he didn't.

Hi Paul, I will post a more detailed response this evening when I have had chance to give the story another read. However my initial feeling after the first read was that it felt like it was more Pinborough than Meloy in it's execution. Some of my disappointment was no doubt down to my pre-conception of what a match-up of Sarah's visceral descriptive prose and your more emotionally stimulating style I experienced in the stories of IC would produce.

I'll give it another read and try to put more of a finger of where it fell short of my expectations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 pm 

Quote:
All sold out James I'm afraid

After scouring the internet I managed to find the last available copy of Islington Crocodiles. And I mean the absolute last.
It cost me an arm and several legs but from what I can gather, will be well worth it. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next