Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:12 pm 

Congratulations to the lucky winners below. None of the prizes are in yet (a couple are yet to be released) but I've chased them all up and will forward as soon as they arrive.

We saw a disappointing drop in entries this time. Why do you think that is? Bad timing, xmas/new year and all that? Not many blu-ray player owners amongst the readership? Opinions welcome.

With fewer entries, a couple of people got extra lucky. Good for you!

Vinyan Blu-ray
Ashleigh Condon
Kate Irwin
Nathaniel Tapley

Pontypool Blu-ray
Matt Dent
Colin Baxter
Ashleigh Condon

Thirst DVD
Gary McMahon
Paul Woodward
Lorraine Barber

Feast II: Sloppy Seconds Blu-ray
Nick Cartledge
Ashleigh Condon
Nathaniel Tapley
Chloe Tremlett
Matt Dent

We'll have several more exciting DVDs and Blu-rays to give away with issue 15 (out in February), plus copies of the novels The Harrowing and The Price by Case Notes featured author Alexandra Sokoloff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 pm 

Thank you for the Thirst DVD I'll look forward to it.

I don't have a Blu-Ray player. A couple of years ago I bought what is called a DVD 'upscaler' which apparently emulates the quality of HD/Blu-Ray by using all the available pixels in the digital tv (1080). It gives a very good picture and is a lot cheaper that a new Blu-ray player and dics. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm 

Feast 2 has arrived. NB: apparently the blu-ray was pulled at the last minute so these are DVDs. Trust that's OK. In the post soon.

Just as a matter of interest Paul, and anybody else, are you tempted by any of the 'entry level' blu-ray players? I think I saw the Sony BDP-S360 going for a little as £86 recently. (Not sure, but I think that decodes HD sound internally, unlike the 350 which you have to bitstream to the amp, assuming that decodes... The 360 remote control doesn't have an eject button though, weirdly!) I don't think that most of us would see a difference between these and the high end models. Some might disagree. And they upscale ordinary DVDs of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:09 am 

I hadn't thought about a Blu-ray player, but I am now. I didn't realise that threy could play DVD's aswell. Do you know if they play HD DVD's too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 am 

Paul Woodward wrote:
I hadn't thought about a Blu-ray player, but I am now. I didn't realise that threy could play DVD's aswell. Do you know if they play HD DVD's too?

One of the electronics companies (I can't remember which) did bring out a player that could play both. But that was in the middle of the format war, and neither side seemed terribly interested in it. I wouldn't imagine that, now blu-ray has won, they would continue production of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm 

They should play just about anything Paul (except defunct HD DVD), and I can say with certainty that the Sony* BDP-S350 upscales standard definition better than my old Sony* upscaler, and that was an excellent, popular piece of kit (and also 'entry-level', ie cheap).

*I'm not on a commission.

Vinyan blu-rays arrived today. In the post pronto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:43 pm 

Paul Woodward wrote:

You can still get a dual-format (i.e. plays blu-ray + HD-DVD movies) PC drive. One advantage of blu-ray on a computer is that, if you also have software (like AnyDVD) installed, the drive should then be multi-region for blu-ray and DVDs, etc.

Having said that, I hope it won't be too long before multi-region blu-ray players are produced. I suspect that's what some poeple are waiting for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:39 pm 

Actually, from what I hear, a lot of major studios are releasing blu-rays region free. Though it doesn't matter to me, because my laptop doesn't have a blu-ray drive, and even if it did, I have AnyDVD :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:19 pm 

I was only wondering about playing HD -DVD's because I have inadvertantly bought a box set of Bladerunner without realising it was in HD DVD. (I was looking for the first version that had the voiceover)

Post subject: The DVD & Blu-Ray
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:22 pm 

Arrived yesterday. I'm feeling very lucky, and quite frustrated that my Blu-Ray player is getting mended at the moment.

Come on, Richer Sounds, hurry up...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:10 pm 

Pontypool blu-rays have finally arrived. Forwarding now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 pm 

I've just started watching Thirst (got through the first hour) and its really good. Its a bit more subtle than you normal drink 'em dry and pile 'em high vampire story
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:00 pm 

I've just found the brilliant Pontypool blu-rays buried beneath a pile of stuff. Sending them out now!