Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:55 am 

Or maybe a moody collage of images from some of the historical events mentioned in the story, or a riot/insurrection scene with shadowy figures behind a barricade...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:32 pm 

Yes, any of those wiould do.
I was just thinking of them hiding unders the floorboards, was it just outside Munich?
And hiding under floorboards is emblematic of surviving in troubled times, you get it quite often in the films. :wink:

Post subject: White Noise
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:38 pm 

I thought the Christopher Fowler article in White Noise very good. I like keeping something hidden in a story. And I shall bear that in mind even more when when I am writing.

thank you!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:43 am 

I agree that the cover art isn't as striking as Dave Gentry's work, however if this was Black Static #1 it would be considered pretty impressive (by which I mean it's certainly not low-quality art). And whilst "Survivor's Guilt" was inappropriately illustrated I didn't think that was the case with other stories.

As usual, the columns were excellent - particulary the McMahon interview. Realised afterwards that there was no O'Driscoll column, then couldn't remember when I had last read one. Hopefully that will make a reappearance at some point.

Onto the fiction: I often find Paul Finch's stories to be a bit workmanlike, but this was richly detailed and a real page turner. A great start to the magazine.

"The Eleventh Day" was also excellent - such a simple concept told exceptionally well (in lesser hands this could have been an 'idea' and no more, but Fowler gives it that extra human dimension. It's almost a celebration of love).

"Hoochie Cootchie Man" is probably the best story here. I've been reading some of Broaddus' work and not been keen, but this nails it, and the final few paragraphs brought the story to a deliciously tantalising conclusion.

"Survivor's Guilt" is a sweeping story of potentially epic proportions, which sensibily focusses on a few key incidences. The pacing in this story is excellent - and the final paragraph perfectly summarises everything we've been told.

"Teen Spirit" feels a little slight in comparison, almost as though it's trying too hard. But it's still a fine story, and the revelation of what is inside the garage is a pleasant (!) surprise. I wondered whether rays influenced this story? I've been to a few SeaLife centres recently, and the way these creatures manouevre against the glass tank with their semi-human features was very familiar.

Overall, great stuff! Despite a few niggles, there's just no other magazine like it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:22 pm 

Took a break from self-assessment hell to have a look over the issue again. Yes Andrew, perhaps you're right about the rest of the artwork.

I should add that I particlarly enjoyed "We Who Live in the Woods", finding it rich and atmospheric. And much of the non-fiction, such as the McMahon feature and interview.

I also agree with Andrew that there's just no other magazine like BS... I hear we're due for a new Sarah Singleton story soon. Looking forward to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:43 am 

Review on SF Revu. "There is no magazine on the market like Black Static that regularly publishes horror as good as this..."

Post subject: The Eleventh Day
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 pm 

Lawrence Conquest wrote:
Still working my way through the mag, but I have to jump in already and say that 'The Eleventh Day' must be a contender for one of the best horror stories I've ever read. A central concept so universal I'm suprised I haven't come across it before (or indeed that Stephen King hasn't made it the basis for one of his restricted novels, a la Cujo, Misery, Gerald's Game), and the ending is just killer. Great stuff.

I have to say I completely agree with this: one of the best stories I've ever read. Somewhat spookily, I was in an elevator (in my office building) when I finished reading it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:40 am 

Dave Simms' brief but very positive review of issues 14 and 15 appears in April's Horror World. (Scroll down.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:00 pm 

Review by Steve Fahnestalk on Tangent Online.