Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:21 pm 

Firstly, allow me to congratulate TTA press for the consistant quality of Black Static magazine. I first heard of B.S. via Interzone and I was really delighted when I discovered that I could get e versions of both magazines from Fictionwise. I live in China and frankly can't always depend on safely receiving books and magazines delivered via snail mail.

My question is that whilst the e-editions of Interzone available from Fictionwise are almost up to date, Black Static is so far only available up to issue 11 (and that only appeared last week). Why are the Black Static issues so far behind? Will Fictionwise remain several issues behind the print edition or will it catch up sometime soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:11 pm 

Hard to answer that Kdog. Quite often we upload issues to the F'wise server in good time expecting them to appear within 2 full weeks but they don't and we don't know why.

There is a fair amount of work involved in getting issues in the correct format for Fw and our E editions editor Pete does sterling work with that, on a voluntary basis, but once he uploads we have to wait on Fw's staff. As the print issue would take at least 2 weeks to get to China we hope you can forgive some of the delay.

Please let us know if you see any faults in the e editions. We can't check every E reader so it's always useful to know if there are problems with particular formats.

Did you take advantage of the free sample BS 12 offer? If so maybe you have that issue in your hands now otherwise you have the delights of 12 and 13 to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:39 am 

Hi Kdog,

Issues of Black Static have been uploaded to Fictionwise through (and including) issue 13 now. Since B&N's recent acquisition of Fictionwise, I haven't been able to make heads or tails of their publication schedule, but I imagine that you should see something in the next couple weeks. New issues come out on Mondays at Fictionwise, but due to the different time zones, it's more like Monday going on Tuesday if you're in the UK.

Best,
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:22 pm 

Black Static 12 is available from Fictionwise now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:34 pm 

BS 13 now on Fictionwise
Please let us know if you find any problems.

Crimewaves 9 and 10 have risen in TTA's F'wise chart again. Maybe as a result of the discounts I complained about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:26 pm 

Excellent! I've downloaded and read issues 12 and 13. Both really enjoyable issues. I downloaded the "kindle" version and neither issues had any problems. Thanks again and looking forward to issue 14!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 pm 

Thanks Kdog2009. Have you always taken Kindle versions from F'wise? Have you found any problems with previous issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:16 pm 

Hi Roy. Yes I've always downloaded Kindle editions from FW. I've bought a number of issues of Interzone and BS and only once had a problem (the second half of one issue of Interzone was missing) but I downloaded it again and got the full issue so I guess it was a downloading problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:23 pm 

That's good news, thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:07 pm 

On Monday FW made BS14 and Interzone 225 (finally) available. I bought them both but yesterday I discovered that BS14 is missing the final story (Teen Spirit). I tried both the Kindle and PDF formats with the same result. I've filled in the help/support form on the FW website but apart from an automated reply haven't heard anything back yet.
I really don't understand why FW waits so long to upload BS and Interzone, it kind of defeats the purpose and main benefit of having emagazines.
So I've given up with FW and taken out a dual subscription to BS and Interzone. Providing the Chinese authorities let the magazines through (a big concern - and the only reason I have been using FW), I can now look forward to reading the proper paper editions! Even with the time it takes for them to reach me I calculate I will get most issues (if not all) before FW uploads them, and unless the authorities here get their sissors out, I know they will be complete and intact!
By the way, what I was able to read of BS14 was (as ever) excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:37 pm 

Truly sorry about that Kdog and thanks for the telling us. I'll pass on your message. We will make sure you get the missing story but we'll try F'wise first.

I'll investigate and respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:25 am 

Hi Kdog2009,

I've contacted the good folks at Fictionwise and asked that they contact me when the problem has been corrected. The story was included when it was uploaded, but magazines at Fictionwise have a lot more formatting than a novel does, so sometimes things don't go how they should for one reason or another. Other publishers have experienced these problems on occasion too.

Thanks for speaking up so that we can make things right. As soon as the corrected version is available, I'll post a follow up here.

Thanks,
Pete
Electronic Editions Editor