Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:07 pm 

Although I agree fully with almost every sentence in Andrew's latest editorial, there is one point that could cause confusion in some readers. Yes, INTERZONE does 'constitute a shield against this barrage of mass media crap.' Indeed, I need it as a defence mechanism that is also entertaining and instructive. But how does the reference to the psychiatrist C.G. Jung help me keep the shield in place? If reading the best SFF literally 'creates reality every day,' (Andrew's paraphrase of Jung, I suppose), then I confront the world with different perceptions, tools, memes, and goals each day (or whenever I read the right stuff). How does this constant renewal help ward off the crap? Nothing is said. I'd probably become even more confused about what is really going on (e.g. activities of media moguls) than I am now: total viewpoint shift. But if he means that reading this magazine often gives me new mental tools to confront dangerous aspects of the sole reality as they attack me, then I can only be grateful that Andrew helps edit such a fine, useful bimonthly. This is what I hope he means. Anything else is a retreat from the realist modes of thought that have proved so essential to our physical and social well-being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:27 pm 

Hi George
Sorry for the delay in responding - I've spent the last few days driving up and down the A1. A retreat from reality was certainly very tempting in the circumstances.
But you're right: I was talking about the way idiosyncratic art offers the possibility of breaking out of narrow ideologies, doctrines and frames of mind. Rational modes of thought have, indeed, served us well but the imagination can certainly help us break down the 'realities' concocted for us by a authoritarian politicians, corporate bullies, financial manipulators, spin-doctors, smug media ‘personalities’ and the whole range of self-serving gits out there.
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for highlighting it. Glad you're getting some of what you need from IZ!
All the best ... Andy H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:12 pm 

My pleasure Andrew. I'm glad we agree. Here's a great example from IZ itself. The Mundane issue has a story about pay-as-you-go, remotely controlled and TV-aimed gun emplacements along the US-Mexico border, allowing nice people who don't like illegals to have some fun by killing them from a distance. I thought that was a great story idea that could easily become true. It changed MY reality by forcing me to think of some new, undesirable, possibilities. Within several months the Guardian (I think) had an online piece about how volunteers use TVs in bars to spot illegals from their bar chairs. The cameras are placed along the border, and the viewers alert the guards. I was prepared. Do keep up the good work, even while on the A1.
Best, George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:18 pm 

That story was one of the best Interzone has published since I began my subscription. In my humble opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 am 

I agree fully. It started me thinking about new possibilities and dangers.