Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: SF classics?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:08 pm 

Although it's looking back over more than just a 25-year period, the "50 sci-fi classics" chosen for "The Canon" in The Rough Guide To Sci-Fi Movies by John Scalzi (author of Old Man's War) includes films (like Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, CE3K, Forbidden Planet, Metropolis, Solaris, Things To Come, etc) that we've seen on many other 'retro' lists, Scalzi also picks a few oddities: Brother From Another Planet (quirky, intriguing, but hardly a classic, surely?) the 1936 serial Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers :? :roll: Incredibles (yes, it's fun, but disposable fun, surely?), the TV movie-ish Star Trek II: WoK instead of the more cinematic ST: Motion Picture, and low-budget British zombipocalypse 28 Days Later.

I'm pleased to see cult favourite Buckaroo Banzai gets listed, but I find it curious that Scalzi picks Cronenberg's remake of The Fly over the camp original, but prefers the original Thing to Carpenter's obviously superior remake... and apparently prefers Cameron's relatively soulless Terminator 2 sequel to its "scrappy B-movie" original. At least, I agree with his choice of the 1950s' WOTW instead of Spielberg's pointless remake.

Anyone else got this (somewhat infuriating!) book?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:46 pm 

Tony, you motivated me to post this! On 16 December the show, WILD WOMEN OF PLANET WONGO, created by my friend Ben Budick together with David Ogrin and Steve Mackes, will open in Key West, Florida. It's an hilarious yet loving homage to the SF films we watched (on TV) nearly every weekend in the 50s. They gave us our first ideas about spaceflight and helped us to think outside the box of conventional reality. If you are in the area then, you can enjoy it at The Red Barn Theatre.