Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:39 pm 

I've been reading a novel printed in the 90s complete with a few pages of adverts at the back, one for a science fiction club of some sort. It occured to me that I haven't seen such adverts in modern paperbacks. I'm not sure when the practise ceased (or if it hasn't and I just haven't come across any modern examples).

Anyway, I was wondering if the IZ folks had considered this type of advertising?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:06 pm 

I recently published my first paperback (Premonitions magazine-anthology in book format, actually), and used back pages, that would otherwise have been wastefully blank, for FREE small press adverts. Makes perfect sense, to me... and I'm surprised that more indie publishers don't make better use of those 'extra' pages in books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:59 am 

Sorry, I should have replied earlier. It was done in the Pringle IZ past and some readers have told me they subscribed after following up such adverts. We have tried to do it since TTA took over but it proved very difficult to follow up as we had no choice on which books featured the ad.

We had the "Subscribe to Interzone or the Alien gets it" ad in 2000 AD comic about two years back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:20 am 

That's right, we ran a publisher's ad in Interzone for a long time, in exchange for an IZ ad in the back of sf/f paperbacks. Technically we did have a choice of books the IZ ad appeared in, which was all sf/f paperbacks as long as the author agreed. I can honestly say, without meaning to cast aspersions, that I didn't see a single book with a single IZ ad, and some authors I know told me they weren't even asked. It's a fine idea though and one we'll follow up again in 2009.