Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:36 am 

Hopefully this nutter will be as entertaining as the angel ships guy we had a few years ago...

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:44 am 

I think I must have meant cubit, the primitive form of measurement; from tip of the middle finger to elbow, which is a joint with the finger being the arrow pointing in the direction of your literary predilections, literary being synonymous with a higher form of artistic predilecting, as opposed not to its opposite, illiterary, but low art, a pavement artist being a good example, perhaps. Or perhaps not. You could of course make no sense, high or low, and aim for the gut, or middle zone. But I’m trying to cut down on the middle zone (and the joints). The senses are all inexplicably linked to the body, and an assuredly lower form of order. A Pandora’s box traditionally measured one and a half cubits in length. Unopened. I may be in the wrong place at the wrong time, by the way. Bear with me, ladies.

Mohandas K. Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:59 pm 

Quote:
Perchance you could tell us where best to obtain your favourite brand of cider?

La Face Cachée de la Pomme Neige, naturally. The process starts, like all good falls, with an apple tree.

Mohandas K. Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:47 am 

You could waste your time finding increasingly elaborate ways of saying, "SF is ****" or you could buy the magazine and make everyone happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:10 pm 

Isn’t most art by its nature an elaboration – as opposed to recycling throw away remarks like, “You could waste your time finding increasingly elaborate ways of saying, "SF is ****" or you could buy the magazine and make everyone happy”, (maybe you should try putting more elaboration in your work) –; a way of saying what is of value and conversely what is as you so charmingly put it crap, in your case, your post jumps to its conclusion way too quickly without elaborating on a justification for doing so, namely that our protag, Ringmaster, thinks SF is crap and wastes his time in saying this when he could be putting a smile on everyone’s face – see, here you’re overstating it with so much expansive elaboration that you don’t stop till you’ve included everyone, or it this an ironic allusion to HCE in Finnegan’s Wake? -- by making the recommended commercial transaction. But you are avoiding a central conflict in art by this surely unrealistic even by SF standards ruse of happiness for all through the purchasing of a magazine. Not that I think utopia is in any way an obsolete idea, but your exposition of it here adheres too freely to an over simplistic simple cause and effect model of the acquisition of planetary jollies. This piece of work, GlenH, I’m afraid, will be remaining in my slush pile indefinitely. Feel free to submit a reworked version; the piece has a charming naivety about it.

Footnote: if you’re going to try your hand at Mundane SF, GlenH, remember that time is not a commodity but a concept, a form of measurement, and as such cannot be used up or wasted as you put it. I, on the other hand, am a commodity, and will be taking myself off presently to the underpass, where my cardboard boxes await, to get wasted on the aforementioned liquid delectation. Should I happen to have some cash remaining at the end of my binge -- which I very much doubt -- I will consider the requested disbursement. In the Greenwich Mean Time, thought the good offices of Interzone, amply material is freely available on this site for me to be going along with. Thank you for your time, and good luck with your work.

Mohandas K. Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:09 pm 

Isn’t most art by its nature an elaboration......

Yeah, I hate the way people don't generally elaborate on Big Brother and just pooh-pooh it (space turds?).
des

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:03 pm 

Interesting article in The Guardian referencing Andy Cox and Interzone:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/ ... weird.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:26 am 

i really wouldn't worry about the Incwriters thing. They are basically a group of little known writers who are using the magazine award to promote themselves. I wouldn't even bother entering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:54 pm 

It’s not how known you are but what you are know for. In some places it might be better to remain unknown.

All awards are a promotion of one kind or another; those who gain entry and accept the award embrace in a retrospectively applied act of self-promotion the entry for which the award was set up in the first place.

Don’t waist your time winning things. Some people think McDonald’s serves the best food in the world cause it’s the most well known. Market leaders market leaders.

Only crumbling buildings and those awaiting lifesaving operations should be put on lists.

But cream rises to the top, I hear you say. Yes, and so does scum.

Mohandas K. Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:01 pm 

I flew the Interzone flag at the Incwriters awardslast night and it was a good do that finished up in a pub round the corner from Manchchester's central library.

Incwriters award went to Banipal a magazine that contains prose translated in English from arabic writers working in the Near to Middle East. Most of the other contestants were poetry magazines so I was surrounded by poets.

The poets were very nice and I sold a few copies of IZ and BS. Many of the poets knew of IZ and a few were readers or lapsed readers.

Incwriters has its heart in the right place and one of its aims is to get better positioning and publicity for independent press magazines. Membership is free so the publishers amongst us might consider joining.