Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interzone in the USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:30 pm 

I received an interesting email today from a friendly VP at a major US periodical distribution company, which might shed some light on problems some people have had finding Interzone in certain US stores. Effective September 1st 2007 Borders has chosen Source Interlink as their exclusive distributor. Apparently Barnes & Noble had already chosen Source Interlink to supply all titles of international origin. I had absolutely no idea. Until today. There you go.

I'll be doing all I can to get Interzone on sale again in US Borders and Barnes & Nobles, and potential US readers have my promise that I'll also be doing all I can to make sure it's sold at a reasonable price and not $12 or $15 or whatever silly price got slapped on it before. I wouldn't blame anyone for balking at that.

Watch this space.

PS: Source Interlink is not the company the friendly VP works for, nor does he work for the company that's supposed to have been distributing Interzone in the USA.

Last edited by Andy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:17 pm 

Andy: Thanks for the information. I hope you're able to get Interzone back into those stores because I think people like to see a magazine before they'll consider subscribing to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:43 pm 

Andy: Yesterday I saw several copies of Interzone issue 212 in a Barnes and Noble in Ohio. Is this problem with distributors perhaps regional or has it simply not kicked in with all the Barnes and Nobles stores? For the record, the price was $11.95.

Post subject: Finding Interzone in LA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:53 pm 

I've been trying to track down IZ in the Borders and Barnes & Nobles here to no avail. Any particular bookstores or newsstands in the LA area that are sure bets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 pm 

I have the following list but all a long way from LA or Ca.

It does suggest that Barnes and Noble is your best bet.

west side Barnes & Noble, Madison, Wisconsin,
Barnes & Noble, Wheaton Illinois
Hasting's, San Marcos, Tx.
Tulsa, Barnes & Noble
Barnes and Noble, Country Club Plaza, Kansas City, Missouri
SFM mentioned another Kansas City stockist called MAC.

I welcome additions to that list if anyone sees any.

You get a very good deal on a subscription because we pay postage on half the issues we send if you order a 12 issue sub. We have NOT raised prices but the $ has dipped vs the £.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:21 am 

Hey Roy, the Magazines and Coffee stock was only for IZ 210 and Andy had to special ship them for the June 2007 reading. They've been trying to get a regular supply of the mags but I don't know if they've had any luck or not.

As for Barnes and Noble on the Plaza in Kansas City, the last time I checked with them, the only ones they had sold (and it pains me deeply to report this) are the issues of IZ 210 I picked up. I asked their people what the sales record on the three issues they get were (they get three and ONLY three per issue) and they say that outside of the three I've bought, they aren't selling.

But that was back in August . . .September? I've not had a chance to run down there and check since then. Dave Truesdale of Tangent Online put me on to it so you might e-mail and ask Dave if he has more up to date information.

I show the magazine off every chance I get when I'm around people. I tell them about it. They want to know where to buy it. So I know demand exists.

They just can't seem to get their hands on it (and the Barnes and Noble on the Plaza can be a pain to get to).

Hope this helps. Disagreements about Mundane SF aside, I have stock in this publication and I damned well want to see it grow.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Trapped in a place next to Kansas called Missouri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:53 am 

Thanks Steven, we do have distribution problems and I have no ideas about how to improve them don't involve vast expenditure.

Pricing in the US doesn't help either.

If anyone does see see Iz around let us know so we can tell enquirers but the US is so big I suspect telling someone that B&N in Kansas City has copies is not a lot of help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:01 pm 

oops typo, should have read

Thanks Steven, we do have distribution problems and I have no ideas about how to improve them that don't involve vast expenditure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:40 am 

About a year ago I heard that the postal rates for shipping books FROM the USA to Europe shot up enormously, I think to $12 per something. I was told that the Government decided that books, previously low-rated as a CULTURAL product, were to be rated just like any other item, say a washing machine. I wonder if a similar policy affected exported magazines, and if that policy also covered IMPORTS to the States. If so, that could explain part of the price rise. Does anybody know?
In my case I now order stuff from the UK, unless I can't find a desired item there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:13 pm 

Not sure about that George but small package postage for a 200 gm magazine is either £2.72 or £2.94 (depends on whether you are just above or below that rate) airmail to the US from here.

Obviously Interzone is a mass mailing and we do get a small discount for such but we don't use the Royal Mail post for that anyway.

Postal rates shot up recently here and in the US plus the change of rules in the US hit small circulation magazines hard but heard real corporate mass mailers got off lightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:16 pm 

I noticed not too long ago that postal rates from the UK to the Netherlands were high as well, but I still thought that they were less than for stuff sent from the States. If my memory isn't deceiving me, someone told me that it no longer makes any difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:32 pm 

Postal rates from UK
200g letter, Europe £2.44, USA/rest of world £4.68
220g letter, Europe £2.64, USA/rest of world £5.09

200g Printed paper, Europe £1.61, USA/rest of world £2.72
220g Printed paper, Europe £1.73, USA/rest of world £2.94

200g Small packet, Europe £1.90, USA/rest of world £2.80
220g Small packet, Europe £2.03, USA/rest of world £3.01

Royal Mail guide April 2008
Don't ask me the difference between a letter, printed paper or a small packet and I've no wish to rock the boat trying to find out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:21 pm 

Except for the mysterious category of "small packets," those figures confirm the claim that it makes little difference.