Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:30 pm 

Cheers Roy, just found it. There's 9 left there now. I must have been confused before because I only looked in the magazine section. What was I thinking?
Guess I owe you a drink now too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm 

You reminded me to check anyway. I'm glad I found them because I've looked a few times.

Best to subscribe really, saves a lot of messing about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:59 pm 

Sorting out my sub is on my to do list now.
And wow, btw. Just been flicking through it this evening and it's an awesome issue. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:46 pm 

A review of Interzone #211 (with some thoughts on IZ in general) on SF Diplomat.

Quite complimentary, and if I understand Jonathan McCalmont correctly then he's saying we should be doing 'special theme' issues *all the time*, if possible. I suspect that he means a 'special author issue', as we already did a 'sense of wonder'-themed issue (Interzone #208), and a 'UK authors only' special 25th Anniversary issue (Interzone #209, although admittedly that's a bit far-fetched... :mrgreen: ). In any case, do feel free to correct me, Jonathan, if you're reading this.

I'd like to put the question forward to IZ readers (or at least the ones that check this forum): should we do more theme issues?

And would you prefer 'special author' -themed issues like the Michael Moorcock special (IZ #211), or a more generally themed issue (like the 'sensawunda' issue [IZ #208] or the upcoming 'mundane SF' issue)?

As an aside, I'd like to remark that special theme issues are much more difficult to produce than unthemed issues. So while making every issue a themed one will be extremely difficult, I am interested in knowing if you'd like us to do more of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:55 pm 

I haven't yet read #211 (my copy's still in the mail), but in general theme issues centered around one specific author don't draw me in. I read short fiction mainly for diversity--and I particularly enjoy Interzone because the stories can vary wildly in theme, tone and genre, all within one issue.

A more generally themed issue wouldn't bother me: it's interesting to see different people having different takes on the same subject, but neither do I particularly wish for it. I like diversity :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:01 pm 

Single-author issues will only work, of course, if you can get writers with a lot of name recognition, as you did with Michael Moorcock. Otherwise the magazine probably isn't going to sell well at the newstands and in bookstores.

Theme issues are interesting, but I wouldn't want more than one a year. While it's fascinating to see the infinite permutations different writers can apply to a single idea, such themes are by their very nature limiting. As a writer I don't mind exploring a specific theme once in a while--it's a neat challenge--but most of the time I'd prefer to write whatever I want whenever I want.

As a reader, I like variety, so again, theme issues should be done sparingly.

Post subject: Book extracts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:08 am 

Looking forward to the Moorcock issue. But I notice you're running a book extract, and it's one thing I'm not keen on in magazines. A paragraph or a quote in a review is okay, but I figure if I want to read the book I'll buy the book. I'm unlikely to read an extact because it's unsatisfying and out of context. Rather see the space used for another short story, or an article.

I wonder if others feel the same, or if I a lone voice.

Post subject: Re: Book extracts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:30 pm 

John Dodds wrote:
..book extract, and it's one thing I'm not keen on in magazines... Rather see the space used for another short story, or an article.
I wonder if others feel the same, or if I a lone voice.

Generally, I hate extracts, too. A handful of stylists (of the Ray Bradbury sort) can get away with it - but, even then, as John says, it's better to read a whole book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:34 pm 

Jetse wrote:
..would you prefer 'special author' -themed issues like the Michael Moorcock special (IZ #211), or a more generally themed issue (like the 'sensawunda' issue [IZ #208] or the upcoming 'mundane SF' issue)?

Might be worth doing a forum poll, Jetse.

I'd opt for themes over authors, any time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:49 pm 

I finally got my grubby hands on a copy--not my contributor copy, but one of those my father bought Tuesday in Borders.
When I'm done drooling over the fab illustration for my story I'll go and read the magazine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:22 pm 

IZ211 arrived in Bristol this morning. And it's possibly my favourite ever IZ cover... but then I'm a sucker for anything with a mucking great spaceship on the front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:37 pm 

On Tony's advice, I set up a poll (did take me some time to learn how to do it, and I may have made a few mistakes).

Anyway, vote!

Now this thread can continue on IZ #211: the interviews, the articles, the stories, the reviews, the artery, the bookmark...

(Watching his mailbox for his copy to arrive... :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 am 

IZ#211 turned up in Workington today. The cover looks even cooler in person :) And that's my reading for this evening sorted out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:46 pm 

A blog review of Interzone #211 here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 pm 

And another one here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next