Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Size for Interzone?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:46 am 

Black Static will be a bit smaller from Issue 29 (July), but the change in size means a lot more pages, and more content overall, with potential to increase the page count even further.

What would Interzone readers think if we made the same changes to Interzone? Current size is 200 x 276mm, new size would be 170 x 240mm, but instead of 64 pages it'd be 96 pages, maybe even 128, on thicker paper and bound in a thicker cover with lamination and a spine.

From an editorial point of view the prospect of a lot more space is very appealing. From a publisher point of view it'd be cheaper to produce and maybe even an easier sell. How does it sound from a reader point of view?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 am 

If there's more to read, then from a reader's point of view it sounds great! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:41 pm 

More to read sounds good to me too - especially more stories, book reviews and writer biographies / interviews.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:21 pm 

Will they be heavier? Think about my back. I have to lug boxes of these up ladders and down dale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 pm 

If it means more fiction, it sounds like a good thing to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:47 am 

I received the new Black Static yesterday and really like the new size. I could easily see Interzone being an amazing magazine at the same size. However, the thing I missed with the new Black Static is the full-color interior pages. Obviously the content is the most important element to contend, so anything that keeps the magazines healthy and publishing great fiction and articles is what you need to focus on. But if there was a way to have the new size AND a full color interior, that would be mind blowing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:00 pm 

JasonSanford wrote:
..Obviously the content is the most important element ... But if there was a way to have the new size AND a full color interior, that would be mind blowing.

Agreed!
:)

Plus more pages for both mags in the new size... and never mind about poor Roy having to carry them about!
:twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 pm 

About colour, one thing to consider is how many pages of a fiction magazine actually don't have, or need, colour on them at all. Half the Interzone pages are text only, and the only colour on these pages is the section code in the top right hand corner and the yellow strip along the bottom, which might as well be black as yellow, or not there at all. A lot of people might think that paying for full colour when half your pages are b&w is insane. ;)

Having said that, I think that illustrations and other graphics in Interzone somehow don't suit b&w as well as they do in Black Static... (I've been experimenting.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:12 pm 

Makes sense to me. And I do like the Black Static design and size. I especially like the heavier paper stock for the covers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:18 pm 

Roy says that you should do a slip-cased hardback collector's edition of every issue. He reckons he could sell shedloads of them at conventions

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 pm 

Slip cases? shedloads? What about my back?
The only thing that sells in shedloads at conventions is real ale, free beer with every purchase would do even better than chocolates.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:57 am 

I like the new sized Black Static very much. I think it's classy. Wouldn't have any problem with Interzone going the same way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:23 pm 

Having read the new Black Static, I think the new format holds up well. On a sentimental value I must admit it will be a shame to wave goodbye to the old A4(ish) size Interzone, just because I've been reading the magazine since about issue 60, and am always used to it being (sort of) that size.

The loss of internal colour would be a shame, though I fully appreciate the fact that most of the pages are 95% text anyway. I suppose the only choices are either full colour or fully black and white, not say '10 colour pages only' per issues. I expect that's far too complicated, though I remember when I was a kid how 2000AD used to be internal black and white, except for the middle pages which were full colour....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 pm 

Lawrence Conquest wrote:
I suppose the only choices are either full colour or fully black and white, not say '10 colour pages only' per issues. I expect that's far too complicated

I was wondering about that. Would it really be far more expensive (than all b&w) to have colour pages only where needed?
:?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:40 pm 

It's a very good idea, and one I explored once before. The catch is that the colour pages would have to be certain pages, ie ones that are on the same plate, so it might not always fall how you'd like it to, and trying to work it all out would probably do my nut in. Not sure how the printing would work, or if it'd be more hassle than they'd like, but yes, it is an excellent idea...

For now, though, given that everybody who's expressed a preference prefers to keep the colour, that's what we'll be doing, staying full colour throughout. The new format has received overwhelming positive support, so I don't think there's any point delaying that change?