Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:00 am 

Murphy, I hate to break it to you friend, but unless you're heading all the way down to South Padre Island on the border, you're likely to be disappointed in the way of Texas' seafront property. Yes, there are beaches with sand and such, but in comparison with the famed beaches of Florida and California, they're mediocre at best.

I will allow that you're coming at an optimal time. The weather's been beautiful, and as it's still technically spring, the temperatures haven't yet become hot enough to melt the chrome off of cars. That happens in August. ;-)

and
No Fear of the Future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:18 am 

Jayme Lynn Blaschke wrote:
Yes, there are beaches with sand and such, but in comparison with the famed beaches of Florida and California, they're mediocre at best.

Pah. You haven't seen anything until you've seen Brighton beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:26 am 

With the stones and the nasty, tacky Palace Pier? And the gorgeous but slowly decaying West Pier?

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:37 am 

friendlygun wrote:
With the stones and the nasty, tacky Palace Pier? And the gorgeous but slowly decaying West Pier?

I'll trade you for Southsea seafront, dude.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:02 am 

Blackpool gets my vote. With three horrendously tacky piers, complete with dangerous fairground rides, swathes of drunken Irish and Scottish tourists, hen and stag parties.

And the yearly stories of some idiot who swims out to try to save their dog and ends up drowning. The dog's always fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:35 pm 

Brother Murphy, I'll spare you the apartment cleaning, though I considered it mightily. Work is at a very...delicate...stage right now. Not being here everyday would be catastrophic. Or something. But best of luck, you'll do fine, just don't look at the audience, or your script, or my god not your hands. Don't look at your hands.

I was at some beach in England, once. The water gave me a rash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:10 pm 

Don't get me wrong, I like Brighton beach, complete with its tat, overpriced restaurants, offensive clubgoers and random nutters. I just don't think it would compare favourably to Floridian, Californian or even Texan beaches...

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:07 pm 

Folks, I've seen sand (we used to joke that the "surf was out" during the Gulf War) and I've seen ocean (from an airplane window) but I've never been to any beach.

Texas just happens to be closest and most doable financially and time wise.

Besides, the <i>U.S.S. Lexington</i> is down there. Then there is horseback riding (I've not ridden since 2001 in grad school) and other stuff.

Anything, my friends, will be a distinct improvement over the four state region I currently live in. Of which, I've seen just about all of one piece or another of it.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Escaping To Texas (Briefly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:29 pm 

friendlygun wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like Brighton beach, complete with its tat, overpriced restaurants, offensive clubgoers and random nutters. I just don't think it would compare favourably to Floridian, Californian or even Texan beaches...

The shed on the front of the pier sell the best fish and chips I've ever had. The donuts are good, but the fish and chips as simply Divine. Get a portion of those, promenade down the pier, indulge in philosophy and fantasy . . . ahh, probably the only happy memories I have of living there.

I have to say, I find it difficult to imagine having never stood on a beach. It's easy to forget just how big the States is, living on our little island. Even after all these years, the land descending into the sea still fills me with a sense of wonder and majesty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:57 pm 

Ah! The Lex! Which means you're heading to the Corpus Christi area. Corpus has some manufactured beaches on the bay that are downright awful, but drive over the causeway to the barrier islands--Port Aransas to the north, and the North Padre Island national seashore to the south--and you'll find some decent stretches of sand. That's as good as you'll find without driving another four hours south to the border. The family goes to Port Aransas several times every summer. Avoid Galveston if at all possible. Huge Houston crowds, many of them drunk. Quite unpleasant.

I have to admit that Texas' beaches have improved significantly since the '80s, when tar balls from all the oil spills in the gulf were as common as jellyfish on the beach.

And if you're going to Corpus, they have replicas of the Christopher Columbus caravels on display. Not a bad distraction.

and
No Fear of the Future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:03 am 

Jayme, you have indeed identified where "Camp Pain In the Ass" will be headquartered at. North Padre Island.

I got me a copy of Frommer's Texas, which means I'm probably too dangerous to let into the state now. :)

It is mainly the cheap camping that appeals to me. Eight bucks a night is kind of hard to beat.

BTW, back on topic, I received my copy of IZ 210. All I have to say is, "WOW!"

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Escaping to Texas (briefly)

Post subject: IZ 210
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:43 am 

It arrived here in eastern France some time last week, in perfect condition. I'm slowly reading my way through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:07 pm 

IZ is
Quote:
on sale in Tulsa at Barnes & Noble for something like $11.75 (don't quote me) and at a locally-owned store (Steve's Sundrys) for $7.

My thanks to Okie who posted this on the Asimov's board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:30 pm 

Roy, $11.75 is what the tag said on IZ 209 down at the Barnes and Noble on the Country Club Plaza. Which I'm enjoying a great deal. I wish to tell I'd know it was down there sooner. Then again, I don't go into that particular location that often.

I'm not doing anything terribly important today(well, I ought to be writing :roll: ). I could run down there and see if IZ 210 is on their shelves. I'll give a spotter report on what I find.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Escaping to Texas (if only briefly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:22 pm 

Thanks Steve, no rush I've not worked out how to put up a new stockists page on the site yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next