Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:04 pm 

From Steven H. Silver:

We are pleased to announce this year's nominees for the Sidewise Award for Alternate History. The winners will be announced at ReConStruction, this year's NASFiC, in Raleigh, North Carolina during the weekend of August 5. The Sidewise Awards have been presented annually since 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate historical fiction. This year's panel of judges was made up of Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper, Jim Rittenhouse, Stu Shiffman, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver. To forestall questions, although there is only one nominee in the Long Form category, "No Award" is also an option.

Short Form:

Paul Di Filippo, "Yes, We Have No Bananas," Eclipse No. 3, edited by Jonathan Strahan, Night Shade Books

Alastair Reynolds, "The Fixation," The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, Volume 3, edited by George Mann, Solaris

Chris Roberson, "Edison's Frankenstein," Postscripts 20/21

Bruce Sterling, "Black Swan," Interzone (April 2009)

Sarah Zettel, "The Persistence of Souls," The Shadow Conspiracy, edited by Phyllis Irene Radford & Laura Anne Gilman, Book View Café

Long Form:

Robert Conroy, _1942_, Ballantine

For more information go to http://www.uchronia.net/sidewise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:25 pm 

I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing that, say, Cherie Priest's BONESHAKER isn't also nominated in the long form. It's clearly alternative history, and it's been nominated for the Nebula, Hugo, etc. and well-received. It seems so far (I am about a third into it) to have been fairly well-researched in terms of Seattle's history, and it creates a divergent timeline from about the US Civil War period onward.

On the plus side, I'll be at NASFiC and hope to make the presentation. Good luck Mr Sterling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:40 pm 

Black Swan was one of my favourite stories of the year. Period. (Any period, sideways, whatever.)

Congratulations, Bruce.