Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 am 

Hey, that's OK Jim, don't take it to heart - it was just a single phrase that jumped out at me in (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) a slightly Thogish manner. Like the sound of someone beating a skinless drum, or playing a stringless harp, I just couldn't quite work out what on Earth an instrument would sound like when the part that's actually responsible for the sound was removed, or indeed how one was supposed to play it. It's probably my own fault for being a musician and taking a poetic simile like this far too literally!

Regardless, congratulations on the story, which I did enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 pm 

Thanks, Lawrence.

In the days when I was jazz pianist there were times when a skinless drum (or entire kit) would have been desirable. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 pm 

Gardner Dozois reviews Interzone 227 in the July Locus: “The best story in Interzone 227 is Chimbi, by ’new writer’ Jim Hawkins [...] This is clearly one of the best stories of the year to date. Also first-rate is Flying in the Face of God by Nina Allan.” He also goes on to say that Mercurio D. Rivera’s Dance of the Kawkaroons is “Clever [...] Entertaining and enjoyable” and lists Chimbi as one of his Recommended Stories.

Rich Horton also reviews Interzone 227: “The March-April Interzone is a very good outing. The best piece comes from a new writer: Jon Ingold’s The History of Poly-V [...] Quite an impressive near debut. I also quite liked Mercurio D. Rivera’s Dance of the Kawkaroons.” He lists The History of Poly-V as one of his Recommended Stories.

They both write more than that, of course, but you'll have to buy a copy to find out what they say.

The results of the annual Locus readers’ poll are published in the same issue. Bruce Sterling’s Black Swan (Interzone 221) is #30 in the Best Novelette catagory, Andy Cox is #25 in the Best Editor catagory, and Interzone is #9 and Ansible is #15 in the Best Magazine catagory.