Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: INTERZONE 226
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 am 

IZ226 is out now.

The cover art is the first part of six connected images by Warwick Fraser-Coombe which at the end of the year will form a new, much larger image.

Stories:

Into the Depths of Illuminated Seas by Jason Sanford
illustrated by Ben Baldwin

Quote:
The names of dying sailors washed across Amber Tolester in a sea of rainbow-lit letters. When the ships of Windspur languished in port during the doldrums of summer, the names lay cold-blue and exhausted on her skin. When autumn’s gales churned the seas to crash and foam, the names burned red in response. And when a sailor on any of Windspur’s ships was washed away, or crushed by tackle, or drowned in the endless depths, Amber screamed as that sailor’s white-hot name burned into her body, leaving the other names to wonder which would next fall for the sea’s slippery embrace.

Hibakusha by Tyler Keevil
illustrated by Mark Pexton

Quote:
They make us wait, as usual. Beneath these flickering lights, upon a jaundiced lino floor, in the foyer of what must have been a school at one time, they make us wait. Standing for this long aggravates the pain in my shins, my joints, my spine. Like tiny slivers in my bones. To take my mind off it, I play that old kid’s game: think of something else. I think of you. I think of getting caught out in that thunderstorm near Pompeii – the way you laughed and spun on the spot as rain slapped down on your sun burned face, your bare shoulders. I think of that night in Whistler, overflowing with alcohol, when you took issue for some imagined slight and tried to punch me. And I think of your studio, of the way you held your charcoal, moving it across the canvas like an orchestra conductor. Vigorous and elegant.

In the Harsh Glow of its Incandescent Beauty by Mercurio D. Rivera
illustrated by Jim Burns

Quote:
I sprinted through narrow, zigzagging pathways inside the pine-green glacier. I could make out Rossi’s black bomber jacket far behind me, appearing and disappearing with each bend. The air-pulses struck the sides of the walls, sending chunks of ice flying.

Human Error by Jay Lake
illustrated by Daniel Bristow-Bailey

Quote:
Lappet worked the mineral vein by hand. There were machines, of course, but they weren’t always suitable. This was a narrow, rotten course of pyrochlore, loaded with nio bium and tantalum. It corkscrewed through the asteroid like a drunk on a crotch rocket. Machines didn’t work with too many serial vector changes. A rockhead with a hot tip and a trowel, on the other hand, could follow it just fine.

Again and Again and Again by Rachel Swirsky

Quote:
It started with Lionel Caldwell, born in 1900 to strict Mennonites who believed drinking, dancing, and wearing jewelry were sins against God. As soon as Lionel was old enough, he fled to the decadent city where he drank hard liquor from speak­easies, cursed using the Lord’s name, and danced with women who wore bobbie socks and chin-length hair.

Aquestria by Stephen Gaskell
illustrated by Jim Burns

Quote:
Kelif always seems too pleased. He stands in the doorway, hand clenching his stun baton, the tendons of his neck taut. “Thirty-five klicks north-north-east. Let’s move!” It isn’t hope that drives him. I’m sure of that. His well of hope was spent weeks ago. No, what drives him now is more primal. A thirst for revenge. A chance to stoke his anger. Maybe it’s because I’m a woman that I don’t feel the same. Since Yemeni died, I’ve barely felt anything.

Features:

Ansible Link by David Langford
news

BookZone by Jim Steel and the team
book reviews including The Secret History of Science Fiction, Winter Song by Colin Harvey, The Cardinal's Blades by Pierre Pavel, The Battle of the Sun by Jeanette Winterson, Brain Thief by Alexander Jablokov, The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington, The New Space Opera 2, Ars Memoriae by Beth Bernobich, Black and White by Jackie Kessler & Caitlin Kittredge

Laser Fodder by Tony Lee
DVD and Blu-ray reviews including District 13: Ultimatum, Godzilla, Year One, Starhyke, The Bronx Warriors Trilogy, Moon, District 9, Misfits, Family Guy: Something Something Something Dark Side, The Final Destination, Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, GI Joe

Mutant Popcorn by Nick Lowe
film reviews including The Box, 2012, Ponyo, Where the Wild Things Are, Cold Souls, 9, Fantastic Mr Fox, New Moon, Cirque du Freak, The Fourth Kind, Planet 51, A Christmas Carol

Readers' Poll
vote for your favourite stories and artworks of 2009

You can find links and other info on the Current Issue page of the website's Interzone section, but here's a handy SUBSCRIBE link.

We hope you enjoy this issue and look forward to reading your comments here.

Last edited by Andy on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:15 pm 

I love that cover art.

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 pm 

Very old school.
Liking the appetite-teasing quotes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:21 pm 

Edit: Removed the strange gaps that somehow appeared in the extracts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:25 am 

Wow what a start to 2010, just came through the post and it is sooooo beautiful from cover to cover.
I don't know if Langford reads this, but I would love his bookcase on page 2.

"Happiness? Happiness... is to wake up, on a bright spring morning, after an exhausting first night spent with a beautiful... passionate... multi-murderess."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:30 pm 

I like the extracts they're very good appetizers

Post subject: IZ 226
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:47 pm 

I like the teasers here...good idea.

Just got the real thing through the post today. As ever, a very slick and satisfying product. Great looking, great content. Already halfway through it!

I was grumbling to myself about the size of Bookzone till I realised I'd skipped a page!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:28 pm 

The new all colour artwork is really astonishing.
Its so good I haven't been able to read any of the stories nor articles yet! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 pm 

Arrived in Bentley today :) The dog did get his paws on it first but has left it in pristine condition. It obviously reads better than it tastes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm 

Just arrived on the Island...
http://pigasuspress.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... olour.html
It's great to see full-colour has returned to IZ pages!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:39 pm 

I think the colour illustrations work with the book reviews. Makes them very attractive.
I saw the Brothers Grossbart in a bookshop but I passed over it for Tim Akers Heart of Veridon (which I haven't started reading yet). But after having read that review I have now reserved it at the library and similarly the Brain Thief book.

No, I haven't started any of the stories yet, I like to read the reviews first :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 pm 

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:05 pm 

I have to say just one word.
Great!!!

Colour again, great illustrations, great cover art.
I have yet to read it, but before that I have to read Black Static 14.

By the way, it arrived today here in Split, Croatia.
This was the fastest delivery since I've subscribed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:07 pm 

Still waiting for mine... :( Though that could because Royal Mail are generally having a "can't be arsed" week. Hopefully it will be here by Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:25 pm 

You aren't the only one who is waiting. I blame the snow.