Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interzone in real life
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:40 am 

Sometimes stories in Interzone carry an uncanny resemblance with (upcoming) real life events.

Take for example, this article on Reuters.

Now IZ readers might recognise that the trend in this article was the central premise of a recent IZ story.

To make things more interesting, I'm doing a little compo: I will donate a copy of CrimeWave 9 (from my own pocket) to the first who, in this topic, correctly identifies the story in question.

Ken Brady is exempted from this little compo because he sent me the link in the first place (I'll pay him in beer at the next Con we meet). Thanks Ken!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 am 

Steven Mills, 'Blue Glass Pebbles'.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:01 pm 

Paul Raven wrote:
Steven Mills, 'Blue Glass Pebbles'.

Beat me to it ;)

Oh well, it's not as if I haven't got enough to read already... *sniff*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:42 pm 

OK: Paul wins!

(Well, I was going to deny it, and say that it was an oblique reference to Jeremy Tolbert's "The Kansas Jayhawk and the Midwestern Monster Squad" where all the thirsty monsters had drunk Lake Michigan empty, or that the waste disposal system of "The Clockwork Atom Bomb" had accidentally absorbed Lake Superior. Or that Rudy Rucker and Terry Bisson had calculated the US's water reserves through the '2+2=5' method. But inspiration failed me... :mrgreen: )

So Paul, email me your address in the city that for some reason abbhors shoelaces...

Post subject: John Deere Walker Robot
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:00 pm 

I saw this a few months after I sent TDT in. I've been itching to share it.

There is YouTube video of it as well, but I'm at the local school library where YT is blocked for some strange reason.

http://tech.commongate.com/post/John_De ... _Spiderbot

You know, this sort of reminds me of that contraption Al Reynolds had on the Nostalgia for Infinity.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Escaping to Texas Soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:44 pm 

What an interesting thread, Jetse. I have two (admittedly, non-IZ) examples. My story “We have fed you all for a thousand years,” first published in TTA, and reprinted in my Elastic Press collection, features a drug which enables workers to do without sleep, permanently. Some years later, I read about work in the “real” world to develop what are called “eugeroics,” which - when they are fully developed - will create “a world where sleep is optional.”

In 1999, I had a story in a Tony Bradman children’s sf anthology in which a bonobo chimp goes to court to have itself declared a person, not property, because it has been taught human language. This was all based - quite loosely - on fact, but even so, I was delighted to read in The Independent, 5 May 07, that “Campaigners have asked an Austrian court to declare that Hiasl, a 26-year-old chimpanzee, is legally a person. Hiasl’s shelter has been forced to close and they argue he needs the protection of basic rights.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:08 pm 

MatC wrote:
What an interesting thread, Jetse. I have two (admittedly, non-IZ) examples. My story “We have fed you all for a thousand years,” first published in TTA, and reprinted in my Elastic Press collection, features a drug which enables workers to do without sleep, permanently. Some years later, I read about work in the “real” world to develop what are called “eugeroics,” which - when they are fully developed - will create “a world where sleep is optional.”

Ah, Modafinil. I want some of that stuff. No, correction, I need some of that stuff ...

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:54 pm 

MatC wrote:
“a world where sleep is optional.”

Reminds me of the sleepless 'mutants' from Beggars In Spain by Nancy Kress.