INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:12 pm 

Will be in May and November this year.

In May, send your e-subs to: Interzone.May2007@gmail.com ;

In November, send your e-subs to Interzone.November2007@gmail.com ;

I hope our capo de capi updates the guidelines page with this info soon.

Near the weekend, I will inform both Ralan and the people at Duotrope officially: in the meantime one of you can try to get a tip thanks at Ralan... :D

Now, if the submitters can maintain, or even raise the quality level of the September email submissions, then I certainly won't complain.

8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:27 pm 

Jetse

Hi there. I wondered if I could ask a question about the upcoming May 2007 email submission period.

If one has a submission still under consideration from the last email period, can one still submit to this upcoming email submission period, or should one wait?

thanks

Kirsten Lincoln

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:56 pm 

Kirsten--

I thought I had replied to you a couple of months ago. Then I double-checked the September gmail account to see I hadn't.

I'm sorry: this is really my fault, as we made the decision on your story more than three months ago. I've emailed you the reply right now, and my profound apologies for the long delay.

And of course do please try me again this May!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:52 am 

Hello,

I have the same question as Kirsten, I'm afraid. I assume no news is bad news but I'd still like to know for sure.

Thanks,

Tristan Palmgren

Post subject: Reciept acknowledgements
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:05 pm 

Hi

Can I just ask roughly how long we should wait for a recieve acknowlegdement after sending an e-sub?

Thanks

Shamus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:34 pm 

Tristan--

You received your reply.

Shamus--

I think you did get it. I received over 50 submissions on this first day (still counting), and other matters (personal, business, and IZ stuff) all converged on this May 1.

Madness.

So it might be a day (or two, in the worst case) before everybody gets their sub acknowledged. It's getting near midnight here, and I am expected to work tomorrow.

So bear with me: I'll get there.

Post subject: Receive acknowledge
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:51 pm 

Thanks - I have indeed got it now. Just being paranoid!
:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:48 pm 

Short recap of the first week (May 1 -- May 7):

Total number of submissions: 185
Total wordcount: 958900

The number of subs per day, from May 1 -- May 7: 58, 35, 28, 23, 12, 14, 15.

The total number of submissions I recieved last September was 375, so I've already received almost half of that in the first week. However, the first week is always the busiest: things slow down in the second and third, to speed up again in the last, although the 'deadline crush' is never quite as big as the 'opening shot'.

So I expect to go above 400 subs total, but not by very much.

(Famous last words... :mrgreen: )

Post subject: Format guidance?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:35 pm 

Is there any chance of publishing some manuscript format guidance, either here or on the main web page? I've been using "Shunn" format (http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html) as it seems to be generally what is required, especially by US publishers, but Jetse has stated a preference on his blog for single spacing.
If there are any other tips for what the Interzone editorial staff would prefer, in soft or hard copy, it's no trouble to re-format. I'd hate to think an MS was dismissed out of hand because an editor had an intense dislike of Courier font.

Last edited by Ozman on Sat May 26, 2007 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:18 pm 

I believe (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong) that Jetse prefers these e-subs to be single space because he reads them all on a handheld device. Single-spaced is simply more convenient for his particular hardware.

and
No Fear of the Future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:44 am 

Jetse, since it's tomorrow for you already (and will be for me as well in about 15 minutes), how about one of your patented updates on total submissions and wordcount?

and
No Fear of the Future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:18 am 

Darn! Never got my story completed in time.

Still I can always print it out and post it off, the email reading period was just a nice pseudo-deadline to work too (although given it's not a real deadline I'd rather take the time to work on the story than rush it).

Anyone know whether the response time to mail-ins lengthens imeadiately after one of these email reading periods? It's not that I'm impatient, I just like collecting the rejection slips ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:12 pm 

The long-awaited update, people!

After a tremendous start (like, 52 submissions on the very first day), May 2007 delivered on its promise and broke records.

Total number of submissions: 499;
Total wordcount: about 2527900;
(Which brings it to about 5060 words per story on average.)

Number of male submitters: 329
Number of female submitters: 150
Meaning I'm not sure about the sex of 20 submitters (who only used letters for their first names, like J. Doe, or have a sex-ambiguous first name, and one who is deliberately ambiguous about it).

I've read somewhat over 200 of these stories so far (more responses to go out tonight), noting that my trip to Australia -- while very enjoyable -- slowed things down. This is unfortunate, but originally it was planned for April, so that I would start the email reading period refreshed. Then it got delayed by a month...

So bear with me while I go through the last 299 submissions.

Two impressions: first and foremost a lot of religiously-themed stories: either dystopias where the religious right is in power in the USA and the protagonists take their stands against it: these I find rather uninteresting as they do not show *why* this happened, or offered anything in which such a happening might be understood and/or prevented; and quite a few missionary stories where the word of God is brought to aliens: none of these told me anything new (and do read Harry Harrison's "The Streets of Ashkelon" before you write or send such a story: I haven't seen a single one that even came close to that classic).

Second impression: quite a few evolution-themed stories, with a few featuring Darwin or his travels with the Beagle. And while I realise creationism is on the rise in the USA (also in the UK? My impression is that it isn't in the UK, but I might be wrong), nothing new was told in these stories as well, so far.

I realise that a lot of these stories are written in reaction to current events, and that there are people living in the middle of it. Still, I need a fresh angle, a ground-breaking insight to make such stories work, and I see that but all too rarely.

For example, I've held over a story (and keep in mind it's not up to me alone, but up to the IZ team, if it will be published) in which the world is hit with a catastrophe that is *different* from what is currently expected, and where the survivors try -- against almost all odds -- to keep certain civilised principles alive. Not only was the approach original, but the way everything worked out heart-wrenchingly good. It handles much of the same themes that the 'what-if-the-religious-right-became-a-de-facto-dictatorship-in-the-US' stories, but from a completely different angle, a much more original approach. (OK, and the fact that the writing was superb and the characters phenomenal helped as well. Can you tell I like this one? Hopefully It'll come in a magazine near you sometime in the future... :mrgreen: )

Anyway, as a writer you should try to stand out from the pack.

Finally, with the number of submissions rising, the number of high quality stories is rising, as well, meaning competition is getting fiercer by the day. So sending in a nice, competent story isn't going to do the trick: I get loads of these. What is needed are highly ambitious, strongly compelling, and increasingly inventive stories.

Luckily, I've seen a couple of those already (I'm talking 4 from the first 200), but this means that only your very best stories stand a chance. So don't waste your and my time by sending me anything less when I re-open in November.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:07 pm 

Oh yeah, and a few *don't*s.

One submitter was so kind to inform me that the submitted story was accepted elsewhere.

Well, this is what is called a 'simulataneous submission': this submitter sent the story to me, and to (at least) one other market.

We don't accept simultaneous submissions. Now, thing is that we can't stop people from doing it. But I hope people can understand that when I'm reading through 500 submissions as fast as I can to unearth those pearls, then I am not happy when one story is whisked away.

I won't cast a stone here: I've done it myself, in the past, when I didn't fully know how the publishing world works. I'm no saint, but I learn from my mistakes.

So I've sent this submitter a warning, explaining why we don't wish to see simultaneous subs (as they waste our time), and telling that the next time I see a submission from this person (yeah, I will not forget the name), I will explicitly ask if this story is under consideration elsewhere. If the answer is 'yes', then I will reject it unread.

Then there was a submitter who asked when I would reply. I wanted to reply saying that I've received 500 subs, and that I try to turn those around before the end of June, with no guarantees whatsoever.

If that response time is unacceptable, please don't submit.

Now when I resoponded, the email bounced form this person's email provider.

That's even better: ask a question, and then forget to put the submission in the *no spam* part of your spam filter, or that of your provider.

Well, I'm *not* going to spend precious time in trying to contact somebody whose email blocks the Interzone.May2007@gmail acccount. Such unprofessional behaviour does not warrant wasting my time.

If you want my reply, make sure my email is not blocked.

OK, rant over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:18 pm 

Jetse: Your rant is totally okay. Through my editing work with storySouth and at a commercial publishing house, I've experienced all the submission "joys" you just described. There's nothing like reading a submission, finding the story worthy enough to do an editorial critique on it, passing the story on to others to read, then being told by the author that they've just published it elsewhere.

On a funny note, the last time that happened to me, the author e-mailed back a few months later and asked if I was interested in considering the story again. Turns out the place which had "accepted" the story went out of business. I love poetic justice :-).

To your list of irritations, I would add something to having your e-mail blocked. Everytime I e-mail out rejections, some of them come back as undeliverable either b/c my e-mail was blocked or the author changed their address. In these cases, I'll inevitably receive a nasty or tart e-mail months later taking me to task for never responding to their submission. It's all I can do not to scream when that happens.