Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 294  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Brother
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:42 am 

I agree with everything Marion says above.
A momentous episode. Worth watching BB to see these tensions and polarities in the modern world played out. A chance then to transcend them.
And the emotions of Emma in the interview were revelatory.

Just one aside. I found telling and theatrically fascinating the Sunset Boulevard-like speech by Angie about Winston when she was half sincere, half playing to the gallery.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:55 am 

des2 wrote:
I agree with everything Marion says above.
A momentous episode. Worth watching BB to see these tensions and polarities in the modern world played out. A chance then to transcend them.
And the emotions of Emma in the interview were revelatory.

Just one aside. I found telling and theatrically fascinating the Sunset Boulevard-like speech by Angie about Winston when she was half sincere, half playing to the gallery.

Theatrical indeed! Then she petered out like a damp squib when it came to evicting Winston? But Gloria Swanson had more class!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:24 pm 

Outrage! Drama! Love’s Young Dream!
Pre-Eviction:

In the morning, Scotty and Megan lay abed together, cooing.
Jeremy and Stephanie likewise.
Christopher was still fretting over Winston’s remarks. I imagine he frets over a lot of things, goes looking for things to fret over in fact.

In the DR, Winston too was fretting. It has hurt him to be seen as a people hater because he is a man of the people. However, his soul, which he cannot sell, remains unbroken.
Make of that what you will.

Darren told an amusing story about staying at Ronnie Wood’s place in Barbados. I would have laughed even harder had I known it was going to be the only light moment in tonight’s show. Anyway, everybody was stoned and jamming the song ‘Angie’ and Ronnie told the there were frogs round here with hallucinogenic properties in their skins. Several of the guests roamed free, trapping frogs and licking their backs. Surreal image!

Winston tried to guilt trip Gemma by saying that she’d made him cry by ‘setting about him’. Not playing the Big Brother game of instant concern for another’s wellbeing, she briskly dismissed him. I rather liked her for that. At least she stood by what she’d said.

In the DR, David was establishing gay friendly credentials (again) by reiterating his objections to Winston’s remarks (again).
They must be very afraid of guilt by association.

Jonathan attacked Gemma’s choice of a pink top. Pink is so 2003. She protested pink made her happy. But Gemma is uncrushable and started showing all her dresses (vibrant and gaudy) for Jonathan’s disapproval. She did it with such élan that e ended p laughing.
Quite a character is our Gemma.

Winston decided to address the house to clear the air about his remarks. Several HMs left the room (afraid of guilt by association? Or as fed up as I am of hearing the chorus of condemnation?). Winston tried every tactic to win over the HMs – his sufferings in life, his near suicide, his beloved Mum, his right as an Englishman to free speech…
Angie sniggered (deliberately obviously); several HMs left the room, including Johnny in a long velvet robe and woman’s floppy hat who felt that listening to Winston made him look like an idiot. Yes, well…
Gemma challenged Winston’s views again and other HMs joined it.
It was tedious and repetitious to hear it all again as HMs are somewhat limited in their responses and quite unable to discuss serious issues.
I longed to hear more about the frogs.

In the DR, Jonathan demanded to see a producer. He is claustrophobic and not feeling great and might have to go home. He’s anxious and can’t breathe and is probably going to have a heart attack.
However, after a lengthy chat, he felt better and would make his final decision on leaving for another day.
How to make dramas out of nothing#1

Jeremy and Stephanie returned to bed which did not go unnoticed by David. A passing comment had Stephanie leaping out of bed and bursting into tears. She wept her way out of the bedroom, through the living room and across the bathroom, leaving a trail of ears in her wake. She came to rest in the toilet, weeping noisily that she felt as if she was being accused of doing something wrong ‘It’s not like that,’ she wails.
How to make dramas out of nothing #2.

But she was not discomposed enough, shortly after, to make a declaration of hate for Nancy who thinks she’s better than everyone else. Jeremy agreed wholeheartedly. Apparently Nancy patted his head and patronised him.

But what else is Nancy supposed to do with a pair like this?

Nancy told Jeremy that he was the only one to vote to evict her. She said this in a Steel Magnolia kind of way and the poor boy was visibly shaken. He fled to the garden and paced, puffing agitatedly on a cigarette, and flanked by David and Christopher who had come to offer aid and comfort. ‘I always stick up for what I believe in,’ he said nervously, wishing he didn’t.
‘Gaunyersel, Nancy,’ as we say in the far north.

At bedtime, Scotty tried it on with Megan but she was smart enough to dismiss Mr. Turbo D. There’s hope for young girls yet!

Final scene in the DR – Jonathan in his long wine coloured velvet robe. He was the martyred saint again, wishing there weren’t people like Winston in the world. Pained, oh so pained he was. He wished he had confronted Winston about what he’d said. He came close to tears as he said we shouldn’t worry about love.
Pass the sick bucket. He was mouthing words while posing prettily in his velvet gown.
Oh, they’re a tedious bunch!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:59 am 

Only one light moment, yes, last night.
But it was all unintentionally hilarious. What comes around comes around, all the templates of CBB recurring like bad dreams, including the stock threatened abandoning of ship. The middle-aged, once young, soap star retrieving some element of her true character beyond her famous staged one. The still young soap stars or professional reality show participants trying to put a line between themselves and aging and eventual death. The trouble with lines, they are all blacklines against a uniform black backdrop.

Winston's speech was hilarious, too, half knowingly staged and the other half staged, too, but felt to be real by Winston. Still, whatever I personally think of his views, I have some separate empathy with him against the social justice extremists of our social meania who are made flesh in this show.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:08 pm 

All true, Des. Winston had to undergo his cruicfixion again last night at the hands of philanderers and junkies and an old lady with a chiffon bow in her hair as they struggled to establish who was most pro-gay. Horrid.
Bring back the frog!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:32 pm 

Cabaret

HMs had to put on a show tonight. I think BB meant a stage show but the HMs are unable to distinguish between the stage and real life and so performances happened in the living room, the garden, the snug, the bedroom… anywhere there was enough room to draw breath and screech.

The day kicked off with physical jerks from those interested in keeping fit and with full English breakfasts for those who are not. Jonathan was revolted by baked beans on plates, but personally, I was more revolted by Jonathan speaking with his mouth full.
In the DR, Tiffany opined that she was a bit of an outsider, an observer rather than a participant, in the house.
She made up for that later.

She confided her worries about this to Jonathan who brushed her off with ‘You’re no fun.’ Ouch!
Megan told Jeremy that Scotty is nice, but too much.

For today’s task, David had to produce a variety show. Peformers and judges were duly allocated their positions and Angie was made his second in command. She proved to be an over eager 2/IC, calling Jeremy and Scottie ‘meat’ when they proposed their act. She was very combative and managed to start a row with Tiffany by telling her how to behave and who to make eye contact with. Her instructions caused a rumpus and Tiffany lost her observer status. In fairness, Angie was giving her the wrong set of instructions having not realised she was a judge and not a performer. David gabbles so much that I too missed the fact that Tiffany was a judge.

In the DR, Angie decided she wanted to leave the house because Tiffany had called her a liar several times and in consequence the joy had left her heart. She decided not to leave the house after all, but not to take part in the show.

Gemma had remarked that the show was supposed to be fun and Angie felt that she was being blamed for the fact that it wasn’t. Poor Daniella was near Gemma at the time and was equally blamed by Angie although she had said nothing.

Angie, Chris and Daniella were all having mini panic attacks in the garden. Gemma approached to calm the storm and Angie left at once with her ratty fun fur trailing behind her.

She went up to the loft to be alone with her joyless heart. David came and tried to persuade her to join in. As a personal favour to me, he said. Because I need you, he said. But she sulked and huffed and would not be moved.

Meanwhile, Tiffany was in the DR, complaining about over zealous Angie ordering her about.

Upstairs in the loft, Nancy had come in and was trying to take to take a reasonable approach to the problem but Gemma came in with the same idea and Angie flounced off, not forgetting her dreadful fur, saying ‘Stay away from me’.
In the end, Gemma brought her flowers and managed to talk her round.

In the DR, Daniella was extremely upset. She didn’t know what she’d done wrong and couldn’t face the constant arguing and upsets.

When she came out she went to confront Angie and was met with love and kisses and slurpy apologies about the misunderstanding. All was well.

The cabaret was surprisingly good. Gemma turned out to have a good voice and with Danieela gave ‘Big Spender’ laldy. Megan shed her Liverpudlian accent when she sang, beautifully, ‘In The Arms Of An Angel’. Kristina and John dance/ Stephanie impersonated Amy Winehouse rather well. Darren sang a song from Les Miserables. Jeremy and Scotty performed a mock Swan Lake. Christopher sang very badly with a vibrato that seemed to go on forever.
In the end, Stephanie Winehouse won and there was a party in her honour. Angie and Tiffany had another emotional splurge – it turns out that they adore one another. Isn’t that nice?

Stephanie was both jubilant and humble about her win and had to be comforted by her friends she was so overcome by it all. She wished her dead Grandfather was there to be proud of her after all the Hollyoaks debacle. She feels she can now put that behind her.

In the DR, Megan was bitter and explosive. She listens to everyone else’sproblems but no one listens to hers because she keeps them to herself. She’s riddled with guilt because se was filming rather naughty stuff I Portugal when her , I think, BF died (although it might have been another grandfather). No one cares about anyone else, she said between clenched teeth.
And with that the show ended.
It was almost a relief.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 am 

Marion Arnott wrote:
In the DR, Angie decided she wanted to leave the house...

Since that was written about last night, we have received this morning the unexpected news about David Bowie. Angie may need to leave now anyway.

RIP David Bowie
Always great. And I found his latest song Blackstar possibly the greatest of all. I am very sad at his death from cancer at the age of 69.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:52 am 

des2 wrote:
Marion Arnott wrote:
In the DR, Angie decided she wanted to leave the house...

Since that was written about last night, we have received this morning the unexpected news about David Bowie. Angie may need to leave now anyway.

RIP David Bowie
Always great. And I found his latest song Blackstar possibly the greatest of all. I am very sad at his death from cancer at the age of 69.

Darren Day's spiritual song from Les Miserables last night seems highly appropriate in hindsight.
"Let him rest, Heaven blest
Bring him home."

Unforgettable moment in this context.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:24 pm 

Yes, his death was a shock. I was instantly transported back to a basement flat in Partick where we used to gather and listen to David Bowie LPs into the wee small hours.
How like him to write his own requiem. He died as he lived.
I expect Angie will leave now. She'll want to be at the funeral.
It's all so sad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:14 pm 

Prizegiving

A tedious evening of tedious tantrums and vapid vapourings. Also, there are too many people to follow and the camera flits from scenario to scenario with the speed of light making it hard to keep up. However, to the best of my ability, this is an account of what happened.

Angie must have got out of bed on the wrong side because all her woes and grievances drove her up to the snug. Johnny came up to offer comfort and joy. Poor Angie. The paranoias of the other HMs aren’t her paranoias. Think hers are a bit superior to theirs. The other HMs have broken her, destroyed her personality. The house is like a prison where they hold terroriss.
Poor Johnny – I bet he was wishing he hadn’t come up/

Stephanie went to some pains to let viewers know nothing but a cuddle happened between her and Jeremy last night, despite the moving duvet telling a different story, but Jeremy insists they were a bit naughty.

In the DR, Gemma says she can’t last a month in the house. She can’t get any sleep. She has no hair dryer so can’t wash her hair and now she has an itchy scalp. Poor David looks like he might die of sleeplessness. Come to think of it, e does resemble the walking dead.

Jonathan and Nancy squabbled over cold pizza left from the night before which Jonathan wanted to have for breakfast. I’m not sure whether she harangued him because it was unhealthy or because it was hers but he was really wound up about it.

For tonight’s task, Jonathan was given a secret mission. He was given a list of presents to be bestowed by BB and allowed to allocate them.
The allocations were shot into the air and HMs had to capture them. Poor Gemma missed hers and was deprived of a takeaway which Jonathan thought she would like. David won a romantic dinner with Jeremy. And do on. Tiffany won the best prize – immunity from nomination this week. Nancy won the worst – incarceration in the BB jail. The jail turned out to e a big cage in the garden, open to wind and rain. Even Jonathan looked aghast. Gemma defended him by saying he didn’t know what incarceration meant. He defended himself by saying he had a list of all the ways Nancy annoyed him. Meanwhile, Nancy got settled down in her cold and miserable cage.

Johnny confessed that he wanted to be a Russian ballerina when he was a child. He must have been a very odd little boy amongst all the little Just Williams.

I the DR, Stephanie was snivelling about what did or did not happen last night under the duvet with Jeremy. She only wants her BF Sam although Jeremy is her best friend in the house and she needs a cuddle. But she’s worried Sam will misinterpret. Snivel. Snivel. Snort. Snort.
Very unappealing. And unconvincing.

She was still crying when se came back to the house. Scotty has no sympathy. She’s finding it hard because she’s tempted, he says.
Anyway, Tiffany is making a play for Jeremy so her problem may solve itself.
Or perhaps not. In the DR, Jeremy confesses to feeling a strong connection with Stephanie, more than just friendship. He knows it’s wrong because she has a boyfriend but he can’t seem to break away.

I can’t believe I’m writing up the sort of twaddle that goes on between 14 year olds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 am 

PS forgot to mention the extremely coarse conversation which took place between the girls. I think my slip of memory was Freudian so distasteful was it. Enough said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:31 am 

Well, must agree. How did we get here, Marion?
And I was in denial, too, about that whispered conversation by the girls.
And it looks as if Angie is staying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:20 pm 

des2 wrote:
Well, must agree. How did we get here, Marion?
And I was in denial, too, about that whispered conversation by the girls.
And it looks as if Angie is staying.

You realise, Des, that those who read us but don't watch the show, will be made mad with curiosity about the content of that conversation?
More interesting to talk about Michael jackson and David's hobby of following spiders to see where they go. Or so he says...

Forgpt to mention that too last night. I left one page of my notes downstairs when I went to type up. Apologies, everybody.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 pm 

Stardust Is Gone

Just when you and I, Des, were bewailing the uninterestingness of CBB these Days, BB threw us a classic. I nearly needed an ambulance I laughed so hard.

And such unpromising beginnings. Angie was told of David’s death. It’s a difficult one – he has long not been a personal feature of her life (35 years). She was saddened to hear the news but not deeply affected and has decided to stay in the show. She cried a little, perhaps because se thought she should. Johnny and David came to support her and they agreed between them not to tell the others the news to spare Angie questions and condolences.

David was feeling unwell and BB sent him back to bed.

Back in the house,Tiffany noticed that Angie seemed upset. In the end, Angie spilled the beans about David Bowie, asking Tiffany to keep it quiet. Tiffany howled and screamed and took off running in circles, screeching like a banshee. This alerted the HMs in the garden that something was up. Then she decided that Angie was playing a joke, then that she wasn’t. She went after Angie to clarify but was held back. She couldn’t keep the secret and screamed that David Gest was dead. The others had noticed he was looking a bit dodgy but hadn’t thought he was that bad. They rushed into to bedroom and pulled back the blankets to check on him. They checked on him!
Gradually it emerged that it was Bowie who’d died. Tiffany was defensive about the mistake, blaming Angie for it, and became very aggressive. She wandered off to the garden on her own and stood laughing and smirking in a corner.

Back in the house, the HMs dislike of Tiffany became apparent. Her hysterical behaviour was just the latest in a long line of grievances against her. They don’t feel safe with her in the house, they’re tired of her laziness and they think she’s insane. Basically they all want her out. But she’s got immunity this week because of the prize game last night.

Gemma and Johnny watched her throw tantrums and then Johnny went and told her so. For some reason, she called Angie a F****** old bitch and was sent for to the DR where she passed the time shouting and swearing at BB.

Jonathan has decided to pack his bags and leave. There’s no fun in the house, nothing but bad vibes, and in spite of Gemma’s tears he left and promised to meet up after the show. Those two really did get on well and Gemma’s tears were the most genuine in the show thus far.

Angie and Darren went up to the snug to be private. He really is a very soothing personality.

Christopher tried to organise a meeting of the HMs so that Tiffany could address them and mend fences. But Johnny said coldly that he didn’t want to, listen to anything she had to say. The others followed suit. Under that man’s easy charm there is a heart like ice.

David had a date with Jeremy, his prize from last night. Jeremy came attired as Liza Minnelli complete with black stockings and suspenders. I felt a little queasy seeing that and downright nauseous when David licked some cream off Jeremy’s face. Yeuch!

Just when I thought we were getting an evening free of showmance, there was a touching little scene where Scotty and Megan sucked love hearts. I was irrationally angry – I can’t help feeling that focus on the lovebirds stops us seeing other more interesting things eg why theyall dislike Tiffany so much.

Tiffany followed David’s advice and apologised to Angie. They kissed and made up.Gemma was impressive in giving Tiffany further advice. Down to earth and kind she told Tiffany to do more round the house and do the nice things like make tea for everyone. So Tiffany offered to help Kristina dry the dishes or make tea and had her offers refused. Oh, dear.

In the DR, Darren was very sincere in saying how shaken he’d been when he thought David gest was dead in the house. I’m liking him and Gemma a bit more.

This was a classic episode. That scene when they all rushed in to check and see if David was dead or alive was brilliant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:05 am 

With mixed feelings, I can say last night's episode (described by Marion above) was probably the most bizarrely preternatural, unrehearsed 'happening' ever on television. It is almost as if David Bowie's meticulous preparation for his own Requiem and obituary by means of pop videos and his Blackstar album (issued as a whole a few days before his death) also extended to pre-arranging his ex-wife's appearance on CBB in the last week or so, resulting in such a crafted (but seemingly uncrafted) Comedy of Errors!
Hilarious, and poignant.
However, there have been complaints to Ofcom about certain aspects of CBB's handling of all this. I keep my powder dry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270 ... 294  Next