Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 294  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Brother
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 pm 

'Sam is a strange kettle of fish, with a sporadic, slightly tormented uplift of its lid to show it's boiling'

D.Lewis

Sam's kettle lifted its lid all right, and he probably wished it hadn't. He took on Sophie, again, about saying he liked Gina. He threw in that Sophie had said Gina liked him back - not true, as it happens, but it brought Gina into the argument. Once she was satisfied that Sophie probably didn't say that, she withdrew and left Sam to Sophie's merciless contempt. She seriously does not like him and promptly wiped the floor with him.

Sam took on Dexter too. Unlike Sophie, Dexter was all sweet reason and understanding while still making it clear that Sam was rude and on the thick side. Dexter was masterly. He even managed to give Sam some advice on paying more attention.
Sam stuck to his guns and declared that Dexter was sucking up to him, the self important little prat - oh, dear - Dexter barely knows he's alive.The viewers have much the same reaction, I suspect.

Gina also was in fine form tonight. She was given a task - to write adoring fan letters to all hMs except one of her choice. Naturally she did not send one to Hazel. She had such an air of gleeful mischief as she wrote that I had to laugh. The results were excellent - Sophie was delighted to hear from an admiring fan who admired her trainers; the Twins were pleased to hear that someone found them funny; Sam got a mildly sleazy one and blushed;and Dexter was over the moon about the letter from Mary Anne from Cornwall who wears a tee-shirt with his face on it and has posters all round her bedroom and just loved everything about him. Oh, that Gina is naughty! Dexter was SO pleased to have approval at last! He even went into the DR to thank Mary Anne from Cornwall for her letter and tell him how much it meant to him. He was utterly charming and blew her a kiss. He must have felt a fool when Gina finally confessed to penning all the letters but he laughed it off. he did say that the other night - that he could always laugh at himself.

The one fly in the ointment was Hazel, the only one not to receive even a tepid fan letter. She laughed it off, saying she regretted standing up but Gina looked somewhat stricken - it was such a pointed omission. I liked th fact that Gina did look upset. Joe tried to console Hazel with a verbal fan letter which he composed. Rather nice of him, I thought, which is high praise indeed as I can barely stand him. But there it is - he tried to help.

It wasn't Hazel's night. Sophie, in nasty mood, told her that Dexter, Hazel's good friend, would have evicted her (he said so last night) and Hazel's language would have shamed a bosun's mate. She challenged Dexter about this but foolishly allowed Joe to come to her defence (he really does have a thing about Hazel) and take on Dexter who brushed him aside as if he were a fly. It would take a Dan or perhaps Gina herself to argue Dexter down.

Nominations were done by friends and family tonight. And, boy, these people didn't pull any punches. Charlie's friend was the most memorable - she nominated Hazel because of the Daley incident (she even called her a bitch)and went on at length about her character. Too strong for a nomination, I thought, but there's nothing like kicking a dog (or a bitch) when she's down. Sophie's Nan was also very condemnatory, saying Hazel is boring now that there are no men for her to play with.
I felt so sorry for Hazel - when is enough enough? If I were her Mum I'd take her out of there and make her comforting macaroni and cheese.

Family and Friends also took the opportunity to issue warning about HMs : Hazel was deemed not trustworthy by Dexter's Mum (a bit rich considering he was going to nominate her); the Twins' Mum warned them that Charlie backbites them; Gina's BF warned her that Charlie is sly, fake, and manipulated the Love Triangle.

Honestly, there will be hardly a HM on speaking terms with another at this rate. And we have two weeks to go, not one as I thought last night.

In the end, only Sam and Gina are not up for eviction. Charlie, Hazel, Dexter, the Twins and Sophie are most at risk. I hope. Or it could be that the vote is hopelessly split among so many and Dexter could go out like Dan.
Surely it will be the Ghastly Twins who leave - or tedious Charlie. Surely! Surely! Surely!

Last edited by Marion Arnott on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:42 am 

An excellent report, Marion. Two weeks to go! And then immediately I presume there will be a CBB to follow on? How can we cope with all these riches?
Sam's lid was rattling away last night. Out of his depth, but may receive the sympathy vote.
I felt sorry for Dexter as that was another cruel task handed out by BB to Gina, though she did it well!
And Sophie did another "I'm not bothered" speech. She is growing on me, being an Essex boy myself, although she is probably more East London than Essex, though they do blur together and I do come from East London stock as well as being born and living in Essex ... and Welsh on my father's side!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 am 

I'm going right off Sophie. She can be poisonous eg putting a wedge beteeen Dexter and Hazel.

There are only two HMs left that I like - Dexter and Gina. I am full of foreboding about Dexter's chances. He is high profile and so will have detractors as well as fans. The twins got least votes to be evicted last week so they may well be safe - they're ghastly but probably not enough to make people pay for phone calls. Sophie ditto. Hazel will attract votes ,though, and Charlie is the unknown wild card. That's the scenario to fear- that votes to evict will be split between them leaving Dexter out on a limb with the highest number of votes. He's fighting two to one.

We can only hope that the yawn fest that is Charlie will open her big mouth again and do something stupid. Ditto Hazel, although she is generally cannier than that.

I'm going to be spitting feathers if Dexter goes this week. Look at who would make the final - Gina, Sam, Sophie, The Twins, Hazel and Charlie. Gina is worthy but the rest?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:21 pm 

Aftermath 2

The fallout from the Family and Friends nominations has rocked the house to its foundations. Gina was shocked , the Twins defensive, Hazel furious. After all, the HMs trust their families and friends who may well have seen things in the house that they have not and most certainly have their best interests at heart.
The whole situation was tailor made for Charlie to discuss her feelings again after being called sly and manipulative - she started on the topic of herself with Gina but Gina was too canny to be drawn in and contented herslef with saying ,'Oh, gosh.'

Hazel was not so restrained - cursing and swearing she tackled Charlie about what her friend had said. The Daley incident, the accusations of chasing other people's menfolk were irrelevant to Hazel 's and Charlie's friendship in the house - they had been good to one another. She had a point but rather missed the other point that what the friend accused her of was out of Charlie's control.

The Twins are sticking to the idea that their mother is honest and that she was warning them about Charlie. The trouble with that is that the only thing I can think of that Charlie said about the twins was when she nominated them - she hasn't been going round backbiting about them.

Gina, after some thought, some very careful thought (as Gina is not nearly so carefree and spontaneous as she likes to pretend, decided that Charlie is in fact manipulative.

Hazel had a field day and recounted the Smear Campaign task and how Charlie had persuaded her to swith from Callum to Dexter. She was also up in arms about Charlie's interpretation of her own behaviour as regards emotional baring of the soul.
Gina didn't miss a trick - she was right in about charlie trying to influence the public's view of Hazel by telling her to rein in her feelings.

It all got very ugly as HM after HM attacked Charlie. Charlie would leave the group and then foolishly return to explain her feelings all over again. She sounded as if she has spend years in therapy as she spouted about her confidence, her personal journey, her questioning of herslef, her personal growth, her ecploration of who she is and where's she going. But it didn't work - not against those nomination acusations. She then resorted to weeping and saying she would leave the house. That little guilt trip didn't work either as no one said 'Please Stay' and Hazel was even more brutally direct with her. There was nothing left for Charlie to say except that she only wanted to be loved. Hazel mocked her and Charlie whinged that she was allowed to feel things.

What Charlie forgets is that other people are allowed to as well. She is SO self absorbed that she doesn't understand how she comes across. That love triangle - she knew what she was doing and it made people doubt her sincerity.

Dexter listened to her upsets and tried to comfort her - saying she has a good heart but was too easily influenced by other people's opinions and so is misunderstood. That is the charitable view.I think she's pretty knowing really - all that rot about saying nasty things and then being immediately sorry for it is unconvincing. Unfortunately, she is not as clever as she thinks she is and has been pretty transparently awful for weeks. On the other hand, she is not as evil as hazel and Gina are making her out to be - she's more pathetic than anything else.

However, it was ugly seeing to see them all gang up on her at once and it's going to get uglier because Dexter now knows that it was Charlie who had him smeared in the Election Task. And Gina is stirring the pot. And Hazel is steely eyed at what she sees as betrayal. Dear oh dear. Charlie has only herself to blame for being a poor game player.

In the DR she wernt for the onion-under-the-arm plea and bitter tears - misunderstood, confused, alone. Wicked Hazel has turned the house against hetr and her world upside down.

Oddly, Joe again was the one to show some fellow feeling. 'I'm just me,'C harlie said and he hugged her. The Evil Twin seemed really to have felt for her. It's a pity that Joe has sent so much time romping in the house trying to do a Jedward instead of letting us see the person.

Last words go to Gina weho sat up in bed and asked how happy was everyone.
I rather think she and Hazel are - but no one else.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:47 am 

I think Hazel was particularly perturbed by Charlie's friend bringing up the Daley incident and Hazel is now thrashing around to divert attention away from it again. Until this incident, BB itself has been complicit in airbrushing away that incident - because nobody has talked about it until Charlie's friend just brought it up from such a devastating female standpoint on the outside of the house.

I feel sorry for Charlie as everything is being twisted out of proportion against her. In the long run, I think this may do her some good with the outside voters. Dexter certainly went over the top in this context by transcending his normal cool urbaneness with swearing bitterness (truly felt or not, I'm unsure).

As an aside, I was trying to imagine this extended dramatic scene (about 40 minutes?) with all the ganging up against Charlie being transcribed for actors to perform as a modern theatrical play. I think it would be revelatory.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:19 am 

des2 wrote:
I think Hazel was particularly perturbed by Charlie's friend bringing up the Daley incident and Hazel is now thrashing around to divert attention away from it again. Until this incident, BB itself has been complicit in airbrushing away that incident - because nobody has talked about it until Charlie's friend just brought it up from such a devastating female standpoint on the outside of the house.

I feel sorry for Charlie as everything is being twisted out of proportion against her. In the long run, I think this may do her some good with the outside voters. Dexter certainly went over the top in this context by transcending his normal cool urbaneness with swearing bitterness (truly felt or not, I'm unsure).

As an aside, I was trying to imagine this extended dramatic scene (about 40 minutes?) with all the ganging up against Charlie being transcribed for actors to perform as a modern theatrical play. I think it would be revelatory.

I have my suspicions about Charlie's friend's outburst. She could not wait to throw the first stone. Was she prompted by BB? Was he trying to get more mileage out of that unsavoury incident? Was she jealous of Charlie's new friendship? (the girls were talking about going on holiday together - without her?) It was such an odd thing to do, to revive Daley. Hazel was correct in saying that it had no relevance to their friendship (necessary alliance?) in the house. Did the friend take a cue from Charlie who only the other night said to Hazel that she now knew how Daley felt? Friend 's first priority should have been Charlie's situation, not Daley's. What's Daley to her? Whatever - I hope Friend is happy with the response to her shouting down from the moral high ground: Charlie excoriated and all her silly wittering faults exposed; the new knowledge that a now defenceless Charlie has gained - that all her emotional tactics and disclaimers don't work on this group who have had more than enough.

Dexter weas good last night - I like to think it was a mixture of tactics and real emmpathy. After all, he has been the group Aunt Sally for the whole series - he knows how it feels. And tactically he must know that a prolonged group attack won't play well with viewers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:46 am 

Marion Arnott wrote:
I have my suspicions about Charlie's friend's outburst. She could not wait to throw the first stone. Was she prompted by BB?

You may be right to have those suspicions or she may just think she is the spokeswoman for an internet groundswell of opinion that due justice wasn't done to both participants in that incident.
But I don't think it would have been prompted by BB as I get the impression, since Dan forbade the whole House to talk about it, that that act of airbrushing was first prompted by BB.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:26 pm 

It's Only A Game - Nothing Personal

What a turnaround! Suddenly Charlie is a victim. She worked the house like a pro tonight, talking about her feelings, her connections, her being misunderstood, the adoration of Hazel which blinded her to reality. And she's not going to be bessie mates whith Hzel any more. She's borefest on legs, all me, me, me. I think she bludgeons the HMs verbally into submission.
Poor Sam was indcotrinated into her theory that Hazel has got inside everyone's brain.
Sophie has had it explained to her that Hazel is a mnipulative liar. Dexter, after a heart to herat with Charlie, has declared that there is nothing behind Hazel's eyes and that he doesn't like her.

Gina was one of the the dissenting voices. In the DR she admitted that she had always know that Charlie was stupid; now she knows she's manipulative as well. She tried to talk to Sam about it but Sam will hear no evil - Charlie has had too much flak. Gina insisted that she is wary of Charlie now, but Sam insisted he could see no bad in Charlie.
Later, Gina went and made up with Charlie, hugging her lie a long lost pal - what is she up to?
All she succeeded in doing was triggering another torrent of psychobabble about Charlie's feelings about which we have heard more than enough.

The Twins weree the other dissenting voices. Charlie's playing the vitim, they said. And they're right. I would like them so much better is they kept their clothes on - the scenes when they were dancing half anked, and later jumping about the pool with their shorts desending were gross.

Sophie told Gina that the whole issue was a matter of who you believed - Hazel or Charlie. Gina replied that she couldn't be bothered.

Charlie complained about her low levels of confidence but she shows no sign of that. She discussed Hazel - in Hazel's hearing. I don't think we've seen anything quite so blatant as that before. Hazel was at her laconic best - in just over a week it wll be over and Charlie will never have to see anyone she doesn't like again. Hazel is pragmatic - she said much the same to Dexter - what does friendship mean in the house? As soon as they are all out, they will forget everything from the house.
In the DR, she reckoned that people were forgetting it's all a game and that nothing is personal. She's like a breath of fresh air sometimes, free of Charlie's tiresome self obsession. I wonder if she has miscalculated? In real life who would be bothered with Charlie's verbal rubbish? In the house, Charlie seems able to touch people's emotions because she makes everything personal.
The show ended in the DR with Charlie bleating about connections and feelings again.
Hazel finished by finding the whole situation petty. She's right of course, but is she appealing?
The shopping task was an epic fail tonight, clearly designed to snare hazel yet again. She and jack were to be spots commentators commentating on the zntics of HMs, unaware that their comments were being broadcast to the house. Cunningly, BB yet again staged events and conversation for the HMs to act out - mto get at Hazel. HMs discussed her nastily in front of her portrait; Charlie laughed at her. they accused her of taking HMs out one by one.
Hazel was furious and wanted to flush them all down the toilet. I suppose that was the reaction BB wanted thopugh what the point was I cannot say - except that it upset hazel.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:29 am 

I don't know what to say about last night. It was all a bit of a muddle, even more muddling than normal. My loyalties change and my views of various housemates mix and match, but I have really no core loyalty with any of them, and the only things I can really depend on are actions I've seen (via the muddle of BB's editing) with my own eyes when certain Hms have been unguarded or drunk! If it weren't for Marion's reports I'd be in even worse of a muddle, but that does depend on Marion not being in a muddle herself! I have known and trusted Marion longer than any of these HMs (including one face to face meeting a few years ago), so my ultimate core loyalty is with her and her reports.

By the way, is there anybody else following these reports (the hits on this thread are still growing exponentially - about a 1000 per day?) or is there anybody else even following the BB TV Show itself (Heaven forfend!)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 am 

I confess that last night was complex - so many reactions and non-reactions, so many inexplicable unpredictables (why is Dexter siding with Charlie? Why was Gina hugging Charlie while agreeing with Hazel - sort of?), all of it obscured by the thick clinging fog of Charlie's feelings. Perhaps HMs believe that Charlie's emotional train wreck and leaky tears will appeal to viewers and so moderate their true opinions. Only two HMs were strictly honest about how they felt - Sam in his defence of Charlie (but you have to wonder about Sam - Charlie and Callum are the two he is loyal to) and Hazel. There is something grand scale about Hazel - she stands alone and calls it as she sees it and is clearly bored by the pettiness of all the whispers and he saids/she saids. She'll pay for that. She plays the game with a forthright blast from the furnace at what irritates her and then is happy to let things lie. She'll pay for that too.
In the end, only one thing is certain - Charlie is an arch manipulator under the little- girl- lost -and still -learning=please-love-me persona. She ought to pay for that. There is something rather contemptible about a woman her age playing the game in that way - especially beside Hazel and her sense of perspective or Gina and her insouciance or Dexter and his glee at the awfulness of things.
I wish Charlie would be evicted (on the grounds of tediousness) so that we can have a clearer view of things. Let her go, trailing clouds of connections and hurt feelings and misundestoodness behind her.
But I think it is Hazel who is doomed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 am 

PS - You and I are the only ones who will admit to watching the show!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 pm 

Quote:
des2 wrote:-
By the way, is there anybody else following these reports (the hits on this thread are still growing exponentially - about a 1000 per day?) or is there anybody else even following the BB TV Show itself (Heaven forfend!)?

Well I'm still reading the reports and finding them fascinating, entertaining. In my mind you two are the Dorothy Parker and H. L. Mencken of reality TV.

Not having a TV licence distances me from the reality of "BB" itself though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:45 pm 

Pete wrote:
Quote:
des2 wrote:-

Well I'm still reading the reports and finding them fascinating, entertaining. In my mind you two are the Dorothy Parker and H. L. Mencken of reality TV.

Not having a TV licence distances me from the reality of "BB" itself though.

Aww, gee, Pete! :oops:

Here's a little Parkerism just or you:

One Perfect Rose
by Dorothy Parker

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met.
All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet -
One perfect rose.

I knew the language of the floweret;
'My fragile leaves,' it said, 'his heart enclose.'
Love long has taken for his amulet
One perfect rose.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get
One perfect rose.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:55 am 

Very Often and Frequently

Lots of little fascinations tonight -an alliance regretted, a rebellion fomented, a queen less than queenly, and lots of wallpaper.

The Shopping task should have been amusing. Gina was appointed Queen Bee in charge of worker bees who were tasked with filling jars with gloopy honey. She had to choose as her right hand bee an HM she could trust. She chose Charlie. Is she mad? Who in their right mind would trust Charlie when Sophie was available, or Dexter, or the Twins even? But she will pay. An overconfident Gina chose to reveal her feelings about Hazel to Charlie, clearly expecting Charlie to join in. But Charlie didn't - she contradicted Gina when Gina said Hazel wasn't nice. Charlie went all wistful and said she was missing Hazel. but of course she is. Hazel was her friend, or bat least an ally, and she listened to all Charlie's tugid outpourings. With Gina, Charlie has to play second fiddle which is not in her nature. Nor is being loayl. Little Miss [plasticine chnage shape thje way othe people change thir knickers. I would not be surprised if she switched bestest friend again.

Still, the task should have been amusing. Costumes were amazing - all the workers had black and yellow stripy body suits and little wings that flapped. They also had shock pad in their drawers to be used by Queen Gina to encourage them to work harder to meet their quota of filled honey jars. Gina was dressed in a jewelled gown and crown and absolutely loved the idea of the worker bees leaping and shrieking when she commanded they be shocked. Even when she was sharp with Charlie for sitting down and eating an Indian meal in front of the starving workers, it was becauase she wasn't giving them enough blood, sweat and tears - and stings from the shock pads. Hazel was repeatedly stung which was predictable but worsened when bB interevened: in exchane for a champagne dinner, Gina had to select another HM to receive specially harsh treatment. Guess whom she chose? Hazel was to be shocked frequently and often, as if frequently wasn't often enough nor often frequent enough.

It wan't long before Hazel volleyed some curses round the house after being shocked over and over again. Gina issued reprimands for her swearing and even commanded Sam and Dexter to shock her as well. Did that make her feel less guilty?
Was Hazel's swearing her justification for punishment? If so, she miscalculated and underestimated our Irish rebel. Charlie was told to F*** off and the two overseers were roundly called 'F****** bitches'. I can't say I blamed Hazel. She had nothing to lose as she believes she's leaving tomorow night. Charlie and Gina thoroughly enjoyed shocking the girl and rather nauseatingly paired the punishments with mealy mouthed complaints about Hazel's attitude and bad language; they even went so far as to say that they would have laughed it off. Well, so might Hazel if she hadn't been targetted so viciously in every recent show. Eventually, Hazel removed her stinger but was soon found out and made to replace it. Sophie even complained that Hazel wasn't wearing her wings. Odd how they were all so willing to curry favour with Queen Gina !

The second thing which showed Gina in a bad light was another bribe from BB. In exchange for increasing the workers' targets, either she or Charlie could receive a phone call from home. If they did not increase the targets, the workers could have an easy life. They chose the phone call without a second thought, and fawning Charlie instantly insisted the call should be GIna's. Talk about blood sweat and tears! those little bees were running mad trying to fill all those jars! This was selfish of Gina , especially when it turned out the call from her boyfriend mostly consisted of hissing a warning abou Hazel.

Still she wasn't finished with Hazel - Queen Gina wanted entertainment and commanded Hazel and the the Twins to tapdance for her pleasure. Hazel didn't want to (I wouldn't want to either with the twins for fear one might remove his shirt) but Hazel's explanation was that she had a thunderous headache and didn't feel like dancing round the room. She did look rather drawn and had lain down on the sofa, but there was to be no reprieve and she was forced to get up, stop swearing, and show some enthusiasm. Compliance was minimal though - she managed to cross one foot over another a couple of times and that was that.

All in all, if there is any justice, then Gina has blown it - she was appalling tonight. From being cutely regal in her queen bee gown, she turned into one of Disney's evil stepmothers - 'oh, mirror, mirror on the wall,,,'.

And i am wondering if Hazel's ill treatment tonight might bjuste be enough to turn the tide of voters in her favour.

It would be worth her staying in the house just to see Gina's face.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:34 am 

The bee task was like a piece of music entitled 'Attrition' as if by Morton Feldman, nothing happening except odd buzzes and endless playful stings, nothing changing to the participants in this hive of muddle, gently relaxing for us viewers it is true, but just wallowing in mock honey.

The basic fact about human existence is not that it is a tragedy, but that it is a bore. It is not so much a war as an endless standing in line.
H. L. Mencken

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 294  Next