Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Reaping
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:41 am 

The Reaping, out now, apparently. New horror/suspense film distributed by AOL Time Warner MSN Ford Barlcays. A small town in Louisiana starts to experience the ten Biblical plagues, and a former lady of the cloth who now makes a living debunking ‘miracles’ investigates. She finds her belief in science tested and fights for the humanity of a seemingly innocent girl . . . It’s all sounding rather familiar, isn’t it?

Am I pitiably naive in hoping for a renaissance of Western horror? Ever since ‘Ring’ came out, it seems that the universal opinion is that the only horror worth making time for is coming out of Asia, with the West relying on remakes and pandering to the American Christian right. It’s easy to say that the big studios are playing it safe, too scared to take any chances in case they don’t make their millions, but one could equally argue that the hungry consumers of horror are actively seeking out innovation, as demonstrated by the ballooning market for foreign films. There’s no lack of imagination in the West and no lack of people wanting to write, so why aren’t these resources being exploited?

Anyways, I shall be looking for The Reaping in Blockbuster in the next few months. The one great thing about hope, after all, is that it’s always there if you want it. Do I have any reason to expect not to be disappointed?