INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: YA sci-fi, just say no?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:25 pm 

"Stop Writing Young Adult Science Fiction"
http://io9.com/5037686/stop-writing-you ... ce-fiction

Cynical 'niche marketing', or worthwhile effort to get new readers into genre stuff?
Any views on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:35 pm 

Hmmm, I don't think YA existed when I was in the target age group. I was reading Ray Bradbury from about 13, and PKD, Frank Herbert, Theodore Sturgeon, John Wyndham, Brian Aldiss, Bob Shaw, Harry Harrison, JG Ballard etc. from 14 or 15. But I guess I had an above-average reading age. I particularly took to PKD; he seemed to explore 'adult' themes that other SF often shied away from. I suppose I always wanted to be an 'A' rather than a 'YA'.

The only non-adult SF I can think of that I read was stuff like Andre Norton and John Christopher (when I was 9/10/11), Terrance Dick's "StarQuest" series, and TV tie-ins like Doctor Who and Blakes Seven.

Post subject: YA books
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:08 pm 

From what I've seen, a couple of things are driving YA books. Of course, there was the HP flurry, which left something of a dearth after the release of the final book. It stirred a demand for fantasy, and the Twilight books seem to be filling a bit of that niche for older teenage readers.
For YA readers, I think the electronic revolution has made books much more accessible to read on phones and PDAs. Speed of acquisition is part of it (a simple download), as is cost. That goes for all ebooks, but the limitation appears to be length. Not that longer material can't be read on numerous devices, but just that they're not as user-friendly as larger reader screens. Another factor is that many of these shorts/novellas are read during commutes or lunchtimes.

For a writer, this sudden demand for novellas is a boon if you want to break into the market and get your name out there. The submission requests are everywhere.

Personally, I like to be able to sample new authors this way. Everything's getting so expensive that's it's nice to find new writers without investing heavily. I don't know how many times I've bought a book and been disappointed! If I find an author I like, though, I'll read everything he/she writes.

Just a few thoughts.

Best wishes,
ND
www.ndhansen-hill.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:30 pm 

So who buys single short stories or novellas off the web and reads them on phones and where do you get them from?

Post subject: buying and reading
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:57 pm 

Spec fiction: novellas to purchase for phones
Examples:
Double Dragon ebooks
Fictionwise
Baen.com
Cerridwen Press
Just about any spec fiction publisher out there with ebook editions

For Spec fiction Romance
Red Rose Publishing
Nocturne Bites
Linden Bay Romance
Samhain
huge numbers on All Romance eBooks

If you check on the larger publishers' websites, look at what titles are available as ebooks. A good way to find some of these is to visit the advanced search page at Fictionwise. Open the window for "publishers". You'll see most of the publishing houses you know, from Random to HarperCollins and so on.

Ebooks are considered more environmentally friendly, plus they are generally less expensive than their paper counterparts.

I personally have nearly 30 books published in ebook form, besides their various paperback and hardcover editions. It seems to be the way of the future.

Hope this helped<G>.

Cheers,
ND
www.NDHansen-Hill.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:43 pm 

Thanks ND.
TTA Press does have Interzone etc on Fictionwise and I wondered about our selling individual short fiction via F'wise. So how do individual short to novella length stories sell in E format when there are lots of free ones on the web anyway?