Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:11 pm 

Greetings all,

When I’m not hiding behind C.A.L., I’m Cathi. I used to pick up copies of Interzone back in the early nineties from the Macquarie University student bookshop, on my way through to the Uni's basement arcade to play Super Xevious and Defender when I should have been attending chemistry lectures…

I’ve been a geologist, a chemical research officer, an intellectual property puppet, a database designer, a reference librarian and a bottle-washer (teflon bottles in acid baths, fun stuff…). At the moment I’m unemployed (by choice) and hoping to stay that way, but while I still don’t seem to have any time to write during the day, I do have some long dark nights ahead which might provide the breathing space needed to finalise a fantasy novel which, at almost 500 pages, just hasn’t quite got there yet.

Still, if the reviews of “The Rising Tide” after it was published in IZ #204 are anything to go by, perhaps I’d be better off yielding to my long-held desire to take up ice-climbing, with a view to getting myself killed on a high mountain somewhere :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:25 pm 

Lee Moan wrote:
Hi,
I'm Lee Moan. I live in sunny Paignton, a coastal town located on "the English Riviera" (sarcastic quotes intended-it rains a lot!).

By day I do my bit for sexual equality by working as a nursery officer in a neighbourhood nursery. I'm also studying for an Open University degree in Literature. I'm in my fourth year now, doing Creative Writing, a course they've only recently added to the degree. I've had stories published in various places, including Dark Recesses Press, Revelation, Scifantastic, AlienSkin, Nocturnal Ooze, Whispers of Wickedness and From the Asylum.
I just had my first big sale to Hub. My story 'Juju' appears in issue 2 which is out now. Forthcoming this year, stories in Jupiter SF issue 16, available April 2007, and the long-delayed Revelation 4:1, out soon.
My blog “Probability and Chaos” can be found at: http://leemoan.blogspot.com/

I've been a regular reader of Interzone since it's relaunch through TTA Press, and can't wait to see what Black Static has to offer.
Cheers m'dears!

Hey Lee--good to see your writing's going places. I always keep an eye out for yourself, Ally Bird and other sciFantastic veterans! :0

Post subject: Introduce Yourself
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:22 am 

I'm Dave Hoing. I live in Waterloo, Iowa. (Just find Chicago on a map of the States and look 300 miles to the left.) I write both literary and genre fiction.

In real life, I work at a university library--but that depends, of course, upon how broadly you define the word "work." :wink:

I'm married with two stepkids and a cat. I've owned three ferrets in my life, several dogs, and a monkey. Not at the same time.

I'm older than Jetse but younger than Des. :D

Last edited by Hoing on Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:18 pm 

Hi Mathew, thanks for the words of support. I, too, like to keep an eye out for fellow Scifantastic contributors. It's a "Class of 2006" kind of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:38 pm 

My first story went to Scifantastic Dec 2005. Hi Lee and Mathew again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:56 am 

Hullo all,

The introductions thread seemed like a good place to start, so here I am. I’ll say now that I’m new to this whole scene, but we’ve all got to start somewhere. I figure that if you’ve never been a newbie, you’ve never tried anything new.

So, by day I make up figures for N.H.S. Pensions, and come home to my dingy little cottage amongst the foothills of Snowdonia. The scenery, though, is amazing and the walks one can have on the two days of pleasant weather we have each year more than make up for horizontal rain, living-dead job market and roving bands of drunken chavs.

I’ve been reading science-fiction ever since I stopped reading Roald Dahl, have made forays into horror and am trying to find a fantasy author I can fall in love with. I write (of course), have a degree in English and Creative Writing, and no publication credits worth mentioning.

I haven’t, I’ll confess, picked up a copy of I.Z. yet – I’m still trying to find one. There’s no one in this area that stocks it, and I can’t find anywhere that sells single copies on-line (subscription is out of my price range at the moment, I’m afraid). Is the answer staring me in the face and I’m too Google-blind to see it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:17 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm more of a Third Alternative guy, really. I've never read IZ either, although I do like to read sci-fi. I used to pick up TTA in my local Waterstones (Sheffield) so I'm waiting patiently for Black Static to be reborn.

Been published in Aoife's Kiss magazine, Darkfire webzine and the Cutting Black press anthology The Horror Library Volume II. I'm appearing in the next issue of Whispers of Wickedness and in a forthcoming Black Petals issue. I've also got a story in The Harrow Anthology 2007, to be published later in the year.

I'm married and we have 2 sons, so I try to write when I can. And then there's the old dayjob which gets in the way of writing (but helps to keep the wolf from the door!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:17 pm 

Guess I'll hop on the bandwagon here.

My name is Murph, aka Steven Francis Murphy. I'm really not a name snob but I figured I was issued with three of them so I try to make sure they all get equal time. Most folks simply call me "Murph" and none call me Shirley, which suits me just fine.

I am a 35 yr old SWM living (trapped) in the Metropolitan Kansas City, Missouri area where I presently work as a 'cough' private security officer. Americans don't have much use for historians, which is what I went to grad school for. I've been working the security gig since 09-11 and trying to become a science fiction writer. Andy took some pity on me and bought one. :lol: It will be inflicted on Readers here in the next issue and if you really want to read it, it is called <I>Tearing Down Tuesday</i>.

I did get some use out of my Masters Degree not too long ago by helping Australian Writer John Birmingham with his third Axis of Time novel, <i>Final Impact</i>. Great guy, good net friend, I can't say enough good stuff about him.

On the personal side, I served six years in the U.S. Army and the Kansas Army National Guard, first in communications, then as an infantryman. I prefer infantry and have a phobic reaction to any phones or radios. For some reason my phobia does not extend to the internet. I might get more written if it did.

I went to Operation Desert Storm and then spent a year in Korea. I finally hung the salad suit up in 1995, for a lot of reasons, some political. None of you probably want to hear about it.

I've worked as a 'sutler' in a civil war reenactor shop called James Country Merctantile and was a Civil War reenactor myself for four years. I got in some horseback riding and some musketry as well as plenty of grist for the writing mill.

And these days, I struggle to earn a graphic design degree so I can switch the aforementioned day job to something that isn't quite so abrasive.

Oh, and I like science fiction.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Trapped in the Show Me State where he says, "Show Me the Exit."

P.S. Oh yeah. I'm a bit eccentric. Or so I'm told. I think I seem perfectly normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:53 pm 

Well Foxie, welcome, you missed us at the Chester Eastercon, which was not far from Snodonia. We would have sold you a copy there no problem.

We will be selling IZ at Alt Fiction Derby this weekend.

Any UKnewsagent can get a copy of IZ via the distributer, Warners or even via Central books but you have to order it. Whether they will get you a single issue or you have to have a regular order I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:31 pm 

Hi Murph, and welcome to the IZ boards!

This question might be premature, but since you'd like to escape from Kansas City, next year's WorldCon in Denver might be doable, possibly?

Looking at my map I estimate Denver is about 600 miles from Kansas City, and I will most definitely be there (as quite a lot of others you will know over the internet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 am 

Roy wrote:
Well Foxie, welcome, you missed us ....

Always my luck :(

I ordered a IZ off Fantastic Literature on Wednesday, and I'm hoping they'll be waiting for me when I get home today or when I wake up tomorrow . . . betweent that, Doctor Who on Saturday and Spiderman 2 (which I can finally watch because my partner is at work on Saturday), my weekend is shaping up really rather well.

I'll have to have a word with my local newsagents. No harm in asking after all, is there?

And thanks for the welcome :)

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:10 pm 

Time to de-lurk :wink:

I'm Ian Sanders, a regular Interzone reader and all round science-fiction buff. I've had one story published for cold hard cash in Oceans of the Mind, which is now sadly 'on hiatus'. I hope it wasn't my story that finished it off.

I have a blog and resource site at http://www.icarusquay.com. Hopefully what's there might be of interest from time to time.

Nice to be here.

Ian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:27 am 
Bethesda - nice place to live, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:50 am 

Hey Jetse, thanks for the welcome. Umm, I'll try to be a bit more upstandin' and proper than I usually am at Other Boards. Ahem. Seriously. Sorry to be late responding. These boards are a bit different from what I'm used to, in a good way that is.

Denver. Well, I wouldn't mind going to that at all as I'm rather fond of Colorado. It is going to depend on the day job situation more than anything else. If I can replace the current one (sorely in need of replacing since they've got me out playing Barney Fife in the parking lots now) with one that actually has paid vacation (oh, I have a hard time keeping the Inner Marxist chained down sometimes) I might give it a shot.

I'd kinda thought maybe I should do something for the big Heinlein shindig that is coming up here in Kansas City for Interzone, but I'm really clueless as to what I'd do. I have yet to actually go to any convention.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Trapped in the Show Me State where he says, "Show me the FTL!"

Post subject: Another Introduction...
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:24 am 

Hi, everyone! Although I'm using the "Moebius2" monicker for the forum, I'm Geoffrey Verdegast, living in South Bend, Indiana, across the pond. I'm a newly published author (my novel, OF STAVES AND SIGMAS, is sort of a literary adventure that has ties to contemporary earth and a mediaeval world called Ergos). Recently, in perusing the SciFi & Fantasy sections at my local Barnes & Noble booksellers, I serendipitously happened across a copy of Interzone tucked amid the Realms of Fantasy, Asimov, and Fantasy & Science Fiction magazines, and found it worth a look. Since I already dabble in the online forums of two of those aforementioned periodicals, I figured that a third one couldn't hurt. I will, however, spare you too much blather for now, since it appears that I have a considerable number of older posts to look over before I obtain a general feel for the topics and contributors here. I'm 46 years of age; I earned a major in English and a minor in Religious Studies from North Central College, many moons ago. And while I always wanted to write books -- this long-planned Ergos series specifically -- I never quite felt that my storytelling technique was developed enough until this time in my life to be put to ink and paper. Should anyone have a yen to investigate, please visit my website at www.SoulsOfErgos.com for a synopsis and an excerpt. At any rate, I look forward to participating here in the near future!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next