Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce Yourself
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:16 pm 

There's a bloody American in your midst. I do promise to at least try to minimize my awkward use of British English, although as a boy one of my first interests was the little linguistic differences. My dad says I used to call the car's windshield the windscreen and point out lorries on the highway. Ironically, no one in my family has visited England as yet.

I've been a Black Static subscriber for a few issues now and have been a reader since issue 24. I hope to add Interzone to my mailbox (postbox?) before long.

I started writing seriously about 9 months ago and look forward to drawing inspiration from the lot of you. Black Static remains a Holy Grail for publication, but so far I've snagged an acceptance from Shock Totem--one of the best horror markets anywhere--along with a couple of others.

Enough about me. Looking forward to issue 29!

-Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm 

Hi Michael,

Good to meet you on here. And congrats on the acceptance!

All the best
Ali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:25 pm 

Yes good luck with that Michael and, if it's a hole, with a flap, in the door, then letterbox may do.
Can I ask where did you obtain new copies of Black Static in the States other than subscribing?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:31 am 

Roy wrote:
Can I ask where did you obtain new copies of Black Static in the States other than subscribing?

One of my local Barnes & Noble stores erratically stocks Black Static. The other one has never, to my knowledge, stocked it. So I'd buy it at the first one until I got too impatient with the guessing games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 am 
Michael Wehunt wrote:
There's a bloody American in your midst. I do promise to at least try to minimize my awkward use of British English, although as a boy one of my first interests was the little linguistic differences. My dad says I used to call the car's windshield the windscreen and point out lorries on the highway. Ironically, no one in my family has visited England as yet.

-Michael

Welcome!

Let's go stomping attorneys on sidewalks! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 pm 

Hello Michael ("Yo, Mikey"?)

Welcome to England. You'll need an umbrella.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 pm 

If you can tell me which B&N Michael I'll add them to the 'In the Wild' thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:42 pm 

Roy wrote:
If you can tell me which B&N Michael I'll add them to the 'In the Wild' thread.

The B&N's address:
7660 North Point Parkway Ste 200
Alpharetta, GA 30022

And Ray, "Yo, Mikey" isn't terribly far off, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm 

Hi All.

I've just noticed that registrations are working again, so here I am <wave>. I quite enjoy Interzone...

Andrew.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:58 pm 

Hiya :D I've been reading Interzone since issue 10. I bought all the back issues, so I am proud to have a complete collection :lol: I had several letters published in the letters page until it was abolished from the printed version of the magazine when TTA Press took over from David Pringle. Sort of lost contact for awhile as I've been busy working in Waterstone's running the sf section in the Swansea branch full time, and basically stopped writing in favour of reading books, but also have a backlog of fiction in recent years of Interzone to catch up with.... I always read the nonfiction part straight away, but have been stockpiling the issues for a chance to read the fiction, and find now this habit has gone on for about 5 or 6 years now!

That's going to be fun, as I've read a few issues on the trot before, and it was like a really good anthology, so now that I've finished my MA in Fine Art & Photography (oops didn't mention I got made redundant 3 years ago, and I've been doing this MA part-time ever since) I'll find a chance before Xmas to at least make a start!

I'll be publishing a free iBook soon which is the result of my Final Project art work.... check my website for more info on that. I'll make an announcement on here when it's out.... it's the world's first Fine Art Conceptual art sfnal art work.... I'm attempting to introduce not only sf, but also psychedelic culture into the Fine Art world! Probably will fail miserably, but I'm having fun! :-k

I prefer to keep colour instead of turning these into links (which have such dull colour!) so just copy and paste addresses to visit my art etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 pm 

Great to hear from you again, Syd. And hello to Andrew too!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:21 am 

Yes always good to see new names. Welcome Andrew and Syd. Do you stock Interzone in your Waterstones Syd?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 am 

Hi Roy thanx for the warm welcome... you too, Jim! I guess you didn't notice I was made redundant 3 years ago.... that's why I had time to do the MA I've just completed. It's a shame, because I had one of the best sf sections in the country, even though not as large as many other branches.... luckily not too small though, so I was able to keep lots of real sf in stock and flagged up on the shelf and table, fighting the lava flow of supernatural romance :shock: sf sections turning into Mills & Boon!

I did stock Waterstone's when we were allowed to.... but then they decreed we couldn't stock it and any other magazines again.... I got so sick of their corporate bullshit.... they demand loyalty, they demand you give your soul (those recommendations are obligatory, it's not just because we were all so rabid to write blurbs.... and rewrite f****king blurbs over and over to change the bloody style of cards every 2 months, for the new "campaign".... sheesh! )..... and then they turn around using the economic slowdown as an excuse to dump hundreds of staff.... No thought of giving up their bonuses to tide us through! That's their "loyalty".... of course that lot got dumped themselves when it was sold to this Russian.... remains to be seen how it all pans out now.... but I've heard from my old shopmates that they've had to deal with horrendously stupid mistakes, like making them change everything (restickering!) twice in a week because of a head office mistake.... always negligent bullshit like that.... sorry, touched a raw nerve! :roll: :arrow:

I prefer to keep colour instead of turning these into links (which have such dull colour!) so just copy and paste addresses to visit my art etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:49 am 
I understand. I worked for Waterstones for 8 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:09 pm 

Sorry Syd I did notice your redundancy comment but wasn't sure if it applied to the Waterstones job or another one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next