PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 am 

According to The Times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 pm 

Interesting, well spotted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 pm 
Why they hate science fiction...?

Aldiss is mostly right IMO, but fails to make much of the main problem - SF is/was mostly written by men, and mostly had complete disregard for the essentials of the book - namely real characters, plot, good writing. Since a large chunk of SF is like this, it is rightly mocked. Unfortunately the good stuff has been tarred with the same brush.

Also, I think Aldiss is wrong about fantasy being the literature of consolation; isn't it more the literature of escapism? Problem is, most people automatically think escapism is something bad. I don't see why, so long as, having escaped, we all return to reality.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:10 pm 

What makes me smile about that article is the fact that despite being an eighty-something grandfather Aldiss can still swear like a navvie.

No mention of Ian Watson, though - Watson is a major bone of contention with regard to Kubrick/Spielberg's adaptation of AI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 am 

It's a pity that there had to be a dig at Fantasy fiction in the article. Fair enough the SF crowd want to be taken more seriously but do they have to sneer at another genre in order to do so? SF authors aren't alone in this, authors often slag off other genres in order to make their own genres look good. I'm not rating SF above Fantasy or vice versa I just don't like the namecalling and pointscoring between all the different genres.

I'd also argue Brian Appelyard's point that Brits have no problem with Fantasy fiction. Lots of people look at Fantasy fiction with the same disdain which he seems to feel they reserve for SF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:42 pm 

Stu,

That isn't my personal experience; yes, there are a few like Aldiss who feel that one is somehow worthy, while the other is inferior, but I've found that most people are like me, happy to read both. As far as I'm concerned they're just two different heads of the same hydra.

That said, SF often requires some sort of logic and knowledge, which tends to deter novice writers, and more importantly bad or lazy ones. They plump for fantasy as the easier option, never realizing that doing fantasy well is just as hard as writing good SF.

Novels:
Winter Song -- US launch May 2010
Damage Time -- UK launch May 2010
-- US launch June 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:05 pm 

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Interesting article.
I've just finished a course which required peer critiques of our work - almost invariably the critiques of genre fiction began with a faintly surprised 'Science fiction/fantasy isn't my thing, but I really enjoyed reading this...'
A lot of people don't seem to realise there can be more to science fiction than Star Trek and spaceships, they're happy to assume they won't like it. Maybe there's some angle to be explored marketing-wise. I'll be interested to see how the Mundane issue is received in the wider world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:51 am 

Quote:
'Fantasy is the impossible made probable.
Science-fiction is the probable made possible...'

One of my favorite toss-offs when people ask the difference between the two. I believe Rod Serling was the author of that quote.

The Escape Velocity Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:21 pm 

http://www.partiallyclips.com/index.php?id=1536