Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cherie Blair's book deal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:10 am 

£1.5 million!!!! Absolutely outrageous. Okay, I know that's the way publishing industry works, a world in which the Victoria Beckhams, the Jordans (who don't know which end of pen to write with), and politicians' wives get the lion's share of publisher's money. It just really, really pisses me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:50 pm 

The weird thing is that, despite plenty of evidence that these books never sell as well as expected, publishers keep throwing money at the projects, and slash funds from developing fresh new authors who actually, you know, write their own books. And then they tell us that they won't spend money on new authors because no one buys decent books any more ... neglecting to mention that the cause of this malaise is the decent books being squeezed out of libraries and bookshops by OMG How Clean Is My Celebrity Pimp My Ghosthunting House Cookbook Vol. 2 - My Confessions LOL.

So, yeah. Pisses me off too. The music industry has the same problem.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject: Cherie's memoirs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:16 pm 

Judging from th figures in the current Private Eye you're spot on about the poor sales figures for this celebrity driven crap, Paul. I also seem to recall that the glut of football 'auto'biographies sold very badly ladst summer.

But say what you will about Cherie Blair, she puts in some compelling (if brief) appearances as Angela Petrelli in Heroes...

http://blader.nsf.jp/heroes/files/pic/w ... rellil.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/p ... html/1.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:27 pm 

I suppose the huge sums of money splurged on pap like this is more than made up for by the occasional title that sells a shitload. I <i>hope</i> this is not the case, but I suspect it's what's going on (just as with the mass resurgence in fantasy for kids / YA after Rowling's success - they're hoping some of the shit will stick).

I also expect some of these celebrity figures are so absurdly high due to bidding wars between publishers. I believe there are consultants who estimate the possible success etc. of various big name books and publishers fight over them based on that. Probably an over-simplification...

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.