Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:20 pm 

. . . has not only won the BSFA Best Novel award for "End of The World Blues" but is also the headlining author in Issue #1 of new hybrid comic/straight prose magazine http://www.MurkyDepths.com with the short stort "State Your Name".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:23 am 
Well done Jon. Not only a great author but top bloke as well. A much deserved award!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 am 

I remember picking up his 9tail Fox from the library not so long ago. I’d seen it in our local bookshop, been intrigued by the title, and had my appetite so whetted by the blurb that I would’ve brought it if I’d had the money. An American cop whose family and disposition make his home among the disposed and forgotten in SF Chinatown, apparently gets killed, only to wake up from a coma in a different body, and stalked by the mysterious nine-tailed fox of Chinese mythology.

Unfortunately, it was one of the worst books I’ve read in a long time. The style was so stark that, instead of dropping hints which excited my interest, it told me nothing at all, the main character was interesting but the plot was lazy and the city was a series of half-finished sketches. The exposition at the end was verging on the juvenile in concept and almost made me laugh out loud in execution. Maybe it hit me so hard because I had such high expectations. I should have known better than to trust in a book where the author’s name is bigger than the title.

On the bright side, it’s great to see another magazine out there: the more voices the better, after all. At under two quid, you can’t really complain, especially when I wouldn’t think twice about spending that much on a couple of bags of chips. Is it just me that is reminded of The Shining by the front cover, though? :)

Post subject: Book'n'price
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:21 pm 

I loved "9 Tail Fox" and so did my wife. So I guess we're just very shallow people.

Actually you'll see from the website that Murky Depths is going to retail at £6.99 in the UK. £1.75 was for the 16-page promo issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:16 pm 

I didn't mean to imply anyone's faults but my own (that'll teach me to post when I should be working). The man's got more awards than I have working body parts, so it's not unreasonable to assume that if I don't get it, it's my fault rather than his. Is there some key to his technique that I'm missing, or is it a simple case of it not being to my taste?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:10 am 

I don't pretend to completely understand JCG's inner workings. I just enjoy reading his prose. And I find some of his one-liners excellent.