Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:57 am 

This is good news indeed, although I don't know what will follow. I was overjoyed to seethis early this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:06 pm 

Just read this Times Herald article,

http://tinyurl.com/yzhgrut

It talks about the evidence give by the "choke victim" border cop. The comments after arr unbelievable :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:53 pm 

I read this article twice and noticed that the main query of the defence lawyer is not followed up therein. He asked why Peter Watts' car was stopped after he had paid and was on his way towards the Canadian border. Am I missing something? Has the writer of this article, presumably a qualified journalist, missed something? Did the paper's editor do a proper job? Did the defence lawyer demand an answer once or several times? These seem to me to be important questions. The readers' reactions don't interest me at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:27 pm 

I think it may just be one of those papers who don't do news, rather opinions.

as to the comments, I do find it interesting. How people can be so closed minded, they do not give the benefit of the doubt, it had something to do with a police officer so Peter must have been in the wrong. Blind acceptance is a horrible thing. I believe Peter's side because of how it was explained and the official reactions I don't side with him merely because he is an SF author or because I ama reactionary.

I hope the people who leave such coments never, ever get jury duty. for anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:06 am 

Yes, you are right about the opinions, which are of a universally present, vile sort. But when it comes to helping Peter Watts, the matter I pointed out is what is interesting. I say this from unfortunate experience, not contempt for the reactors. I had to do some amateur journalism recently, and routinely encountered such reactions. Some were emotive outbursts. But others were intentionally used to divert me from reaching my argument's intended goal, or to divert the reader from understanding what I had to say. I was an academic philosopher who enjoyed friendly arguments. This time the context is horrid but I use similar skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:34 am 

I'll try and find more articles tomorrow, who knows maybe even something positive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:40 pm 

Peters latest blog posting:

http://tinyurl.com/ygxh8n9

He addresses the comments made on the papers site and tells a bit of how court went =D things are lookin good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:36 pm 

Thanks for your update on the update. I looked at it and commented on the omission I noticed. More or less what I wrote here.