Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:32 pm 

I know there are plenty of forums out there about computer and console games, but I was curious if any fellow authors and/or Interzone readers here are also gamers.

I got an Xbox 360 recently and found it an invaluable way of avoiding writing my second novel, or any short stories.

Is anyone else troubled by the chore of writing their immortal prose and have acquired a gaming addiction?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:33 pm 

Final Fantasy pretty much annihilated my productivity from about December to last weekend. I'm not buying anything else game-wise until I finish the novel. Honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:42 pm 

I've just started exploring Second Life. Signs are that I'll soon forget real life utterly.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:24 pm 

I used to play Everquest 2, then migrated to World of Warcraft which became very addictive, especially when some b*stard keeps picking on you relentlessly and you end up dead most of the time searching for him to extract revenge... (There's a great South Park Episode based on this which is well worth looking for and downloading, it's a riot and so so true!) Anyway, I finally grew out of it and got back to my scribbling only to find other ways to get distracted, forums, ebay, blogs, myspace... ahh, I have no self control...

Debut novel site: http://www.flamesofherakleitos.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 pm 

I may be the last person on the planet who has never played a video game--despite my stepson's best (and persistant) efforts to get me to do so. But then, I've never owned a cell phone, either, and it was only last week (literally true) that I first used a DVD player. Of course I do not have a website, nor a blog.

Sadly, I don't need a diversion to keep me from writing. When I don't feel like it, I simply don't write. Fortunately, at least of late, I have not felt like not writing.

And I do read. A lot. It is rare indeed when I don't have at least three books going at a time--generally two nonfiction and one fiction--plus the myriad magazines I subscribe to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:01 pm 

Hoing wrote:
I may be the last person on the planet who has never played a video game

Never got into computer games, was thrashed on PlayStation by a knee-high niece :oops: years ago, and I haven't gone near any game-console since.
Think I'll just wait until the tech catches up with Allegra Geller. 8) :wink:

Favourite work avoidance strategy is DIY on my semi-detached money pit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:02 pm 

I used to play a lot of games (mainly adventures/RPGs like Zelda and Secret of Mana). Now that I don't have so much time, I don't play as much. It's not so much that I don't like playing, but that I tend to play in spurts of 15-30 minutes, which won't lead you anywhere significant in Zelda.

I do play a lot of Lego Star Wars II with my boyfriend, because it's such a hilarious game.

I had a couple of colleagues heavily into WoW, but I have to admit MMORPGs don't tempt me--too time consuming for me. I'd rather write (or sleep ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:03 pm 

Coming late to the conversation... as usual.

My gaming addictions in the past have included Elite, Wizball, Populous II, Dungeon Master, Diablo, Diablo II and Dungeon Siege…. I’ve avoided WoW because I’ve seen friends disappearing into that pit and I still care for daylight; motion sickness has kept me from games like Doom and Quake (I have to take a lot of Dramamine if I want to join my brother at HALO).

Computer games have been obliterating my writing since I was 14. Now the only game I'll allow on my computer is Solitaire.

If given the choice between playing and writing, I will always play because it hurts less. If given the choice between living and writing I’ll always write because it hurts more. Thankfully, I don’t sleep much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:40 pm 
My guilty secret tearing me away from writing is music. "I'll just put a CD on for a moment..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:02 am 

When I was in Grad School and for a few years after, Sid Meier's Civilization II chewed up days of my time. I usually played the Romans and I usually kept the globe from overheating. Usually.

These days, gamewise it tends to be Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K The Dawn of War. I have the Winter Assault Add On and usually I play it in skirmish mode. I find that I don't mind losing an hour fighting Plague Marines nearly as badly as I mind losing a day and a half trying to conquer the French.

I did get a tabletop version of a 40K Adeptus Astartes Army and play in a couple of tournaments, but I found it chewed up way too much time and money. Further, your opponent on the other side often cheated. The computer doesn't do that, well, as much.

I don't have the net in my apartment (on purpose, I'd be in flamewars all the time) but I find YouTube to be a horrible time sink, as are the wikipedias and a number of SF writer related blogs.

It is a wonder I get anything done writing wise.

Respects,
S. F. Murphy
Trapped in the Show Me State where he says, "Show Me The Beer."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:15 am 

I'm a big gamer, but it's not a way of avoiding writing for me (although it does on occasion pull me away from the pen and paper). I work in the games industry, and since I started, gaming has become a bigger part of my leisure time, too. It's overtaken films as my tv-based activity of choice. I tend to spend most of my evenings -- since work has forced me into living away from my fiancee at the moment -- either on my PC or one of my consoles.

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War is very good on PC, as is UFO: Afterlight. On a 360, current games of choice are Ridge Racer 6, Crackdown and EDF 2017. There's Zelda on the Wii, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:03 am 

Quote:
Never got into computer games

Ditto

Quote:
My guilty secret tearing me away from writing is music. "I'll just put a CD on for a moment..."

Also ditto.

Walking the dogs when the weather's nice is my favourite diversion of all, though. And the day job's my least favourite, but I suspect that the 'dittos' echoing around to that one will probably be deafening...

Novels:
Winter Song -- US launch May 2010
Damage Time -- UK launch May 2010
-- US launch June 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:02 pm 

I guess my biggest diversion is reading, or if I'm feeling particularly lazy, crappy American tv shows: ones I know are dreadful but somehow keep me coming back for one more episode: Scrubs, Supernatural, Lost and 24 are my current guilty pleasures in that regard.

Actually, between that, the books, my overtime-heavy job and the gaming habit, it's a wonder I get any writing done. I guess there's something to be said for the daily commute after all.